Low sulfur diesel fuel

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 06:37 AM
dunbar15
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low sulfur diesel fuel

Guys,

Last night at the shell station I go to in NH I noticed a new sticker on the pump "notice : Low sulfur diesel fuel " less than 500 ppm , do not use in 2007 or later vehicles, I have a 2000 7.3L , do I need to worry about using this fuel in my truck ? If its bad for it what should I do ? Thanks for any info on this ..

Old 05-28-2006, 08:41 AM
Lushman
Elder User
Make sure you start to use one of the diesel additives such as Diesel Kleen or Stanadyne. You need the sulphur for lubricating your injectors in the fuel system. All gas stations are supposed to start using it I think by June but some already have. They are even switching to an "Ultra low sulphur diesel fuel" later. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=494381
I have been using one of the additives since I bought my truck a few months back figuring it can't hurt, but now that the new fuel is coming out I will always use it. I purchase the Diesel Kleen at WalMart in a large bottle.

Old 05-28-2006, 09:52 AM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The way I understand this new fuel, it will be 15 PPM of sulfur starting soon..down from the present 500 PPM. I think the sticker you read was the sulfur content that was changed back a couple of years ago...I am putting a gallon of bio-diesel per tank full and Stanadyne additive in my SD.

Old 05-28-2006, 10:44 AM
Lushman
Elder User
Originally Posted by clintbonnie
The way I understand this new fuel, it will be 15 PPM of sulfur starting soon..down from the present 500 PPM. I think the sticker you read was the sulfur content that was changed back a couple of years ago...I am putting a gallon of bio-diesel per tank full and Stanadyne additive in my SD.
Are you brewing your own biodiesel or is it available by you? If someone knows where to get some of the biodiesel near San Diego please let me know.

Old 05-28-2006, 12:09 PM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Lushman
Are you brewing your own biodiesel or is it available by you? If someone knows where to get some of the biodiesel near San Diego please let me know.
Lushman.. I buy it retail here in the Seattle Area.. You can check with RTC Fuel,LLC ph # 619 521 2469 in San Diego Area.. they sell B20 (20% bio-diesel, 80 % dino mixture). I just fill up a 5 gallon diesel storage jug of 100% bio-diesel and add a gallon to a tank full. With B20 you would have to be a little more clever to maintain a 5% mixture or less, which i understand that Ford recommends if you are still under warranty. Here is a link to bio-diesel retail fueling stations in the US.. http://www.biodiesel.org/buyingbiodi...lfuelingsites/

Last edited by clintbonnie; 05-28-2006 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-28-2006, 05:59 PM
Lushman
Elder User
Thanks for the info Clint!! I looked up that station on the map and they are 45 minutes away from me at a Ford stealership??. Maybe I can give them a call as I would like to try it sometime.

Old 05-29-2006, 03:46 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Just a little note here. Everyone is seeing the stickers for low sulfar diesel and starting to worry about running it in thier engines. To eleviate the fear you have been running low sulfar 500ppm fuel for the past 10 yrs. What has changed is they are coming out with ULTRA low sulfar diesel and the 2007 and later trucks will be required to use that, thus the stickers are to warn people that get a 2007 model truck that the fuel in that pump is just the low sulfar, and not the ultra low sulfar and it's illegal to use low sulfar in a 07 model diesel.
Basically nothing has changed if you see the warning this is low sulfar diesel on the pump it's litterly the same fuel you have been running since your truck was new most likely.

Old 05-29-2006, 10:34 AM
77hiboyboy
Posting Guru
Don't worry about the stickers, they are just warning the new emissions motor owners. I guess the new ULSD isn't good on all the emissions equipment on the new motors.

Old 05-29-2006, 04:22 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

77 you have that backwards, the new emissions equipment HAS to run the new ULSD, the stickers are to warn them that what is in that pump is NOT the new fuel but instead the regular low sulfar fuel.