Colorado Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

mechanic in Denver for old Fords?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 04:02 PM
masterqi
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question mechanic in Denver for old Fords?

I did a search and am *relatively* certain that this hasn't been discussed. If I'm wrong, apologies, and please direct me to the right thread.

But otherwise I'm wondering if there is an independent garage somewhere in or around Denver that works on old Ford pickups (60s vintage). Or do people just generally work on things themselves, or take them to the dealer?

Even just the opportunity to have a mechanic take a look prior to purchase would be valuable.

Thanks in advance,
Jason

Old 05-25-2006, 04:49 PM
FtwoFityboy06
Junior User
you can take it to a dealer, you would be surprised on how many we get up atthe dealer i work at, we replaced every suspension part, brake system, on an old old cougar, and few other car/trucks ...

-jared

Old 05-26-2006, 10:46 AM
Dave58
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a small shop that seems to specialize in 1960s Ford in Sheridan. I think the name is "Old Fords" or "Only Fords", something like that. It is on old Hampden west of Federal. Their back lot backs up to the Hwy 285/Hampden freeway so you can see old Fords. Look for the guys next door selling a log cabin.

Old 05-26-2006, 08:52 PM
masterqi
Senior User
Jared, Thanks for the suggestion. Which dealer do you work at, and what do they charge for a pre-purchase inspection?

Dave, I am *very* interested in the shop you mention. I did a google search to try to find it but no luck yet. If it happens to jog your memory, let me know. If not I'll try to keep an eye out for it next time I'm down that way.

Thanks a lot guys,
Jason

Last edited by masterqi; 05-26-2006 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:19 AM
DarkWolf40
Elder User
Dave58, your maybe thinking of Truckford Parts Inc, I believe they only dismantel old Fords and sell the parts but I could be wrong. About a block or so west of Federal on old Hampden.

Old 05-28-2006, 04:43 PM
Dave58
Senior User
Yep, that's the one! Again, just an alzheimer guy making a flinting glance out the window, but this time I thought the name said Fordtruck Parts. I was in a few month ago the ask about hood badges and it looked like repair work going on. Maybe it was mostly dismantling with some try to fix just one truck.

Old 05-28-2006, 04:55 PM
Dave58
Senior User
Here's a link to a Google map of the shop. The Fords Parts place is the white roofed building on the south side of Hampden in the center of the frame.

http://www.google.com/maphp?hl=en&q=...01808&t=h&om=1

Let us see if this workes.
Dave

Old 05-28-2006, 05:49 PM
Dave58
Senior User
Unhappy

Sorry, I just checked the google map link and it doesn't hold the target address in the center of the frame like I thought it would.
Dave

Old 05-31-2006, 04:53 PM
Mike G
Postmaster
Map looks to work OK.... It is TruckFordParts. Don't forget that it is on the North side of 285, but on the south of W Hampden Ave. I do believe the guy that owns the shop also will work on vehicles. I seem to recall they are trying to get out of the practice of carrying the 60's and older parts, but just can't seem to shake them. Nice guy over there, stop in and see them. For the most part, it's sort of tough to have someone look these things over, as they generally need everything.

Welcome aboard! --Mike

Old 06-01-2006, 04:05 PM
steeda007
Freshman User
One other shop you might consider is High Country Performance 4x4. The owner, Al Dunn, has been building, racing and wheeling old fords for several decades. I have worked with him building killer Broncos, Explorers and recently a F250 SD. This is the only shop / person I inplicitly trust to do work on my 4x4's. Give him a shout at 303-761-7379

Don

Old 06-04-2006, 04:58 PM
masterqi
Senior User
Thanks again Dave and Mike. I will try to give Truckford Parts a call and see if they can point me anywhere (or perhaps do a pre-purchase inspection themselves). I basically would like to pay for an hour or two of an expert's time to ascertain if it is a decent truck (like you said, it's going to be old in any case) or if it's a nightmare waiting to show itself.

Don, I'll also make a note of Al's information. As long as they don't focus exclusively on 4x4s. Because basically (not sure if I elaborated previously) I'm looking to get a mid-60s F-100 and it's not terribly important to me to have 4 wheel drive (I have an SUV).

Thanks again & have a good weekend,
Jason

Old 10-26-2008, 11:19 PM
masterqi
Senior User
thread back from the dead

I don't feel bad since it was my post originally.

Basically I'm still trying to find an independent garage somewhere along the Front Range that works on old Ford trucks (60s vintage).

Any ideas?

Old 10-27-2008, 05:20 PM
Colo79Ford
Elder User
I don't know of any shops that 'specialize' in only older ford trucks, a shop will generally work on what they know about, and if they don't know about old trucks, they will turn them away. The trucks are pretty simple to work on, and if you were not in superior, id say i would do the work for you because i love working on these old truck and the shop has been pretty slow lately...

Did you end up buying a truck and just looking to get it into drivable shape? Or are you still looking?

Old 10-27-2008, 05:36 PM
masterqi
Senior User
Still looking. There's one for sale now that I've been talking to the seller. Haven't seen it in person yet.

As for the garage, the reason I'm researching it now is that I don't want to be driving from garage to garage only to be turned away!

I've always felt that independent mechanics offer the best combination of expertise and value. Whereabouts are you?

Old 10-27-2008, 06:04 PM
Colo79Ford
Elder User
I am about an hour west of denver, a few miles outside of Georgetown.

I would imagine, that with the agriculture north and northeast of you, that there are a few mechanics who are used to, and prefer working on older trucks.

Quick Reply: mechanic in Denver for old Fords?