1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

cat converters in Rangers

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 12:07 PM
AlphaQlater
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question cat converters in Rangers

I was talking to a few mechanic friends and all agree that Ford's emission system is very restrictive, especially on their cats. My ranger has 3!!! I want to replace them with High Flow cats. The only problem I see is the O2 sensors in the way, but it looks possible. Has anyone done this mod? What do you guys think of it?

2005 Ford Ranger Edge
V6 4.0 auto
4.10 gears
K&N
40 series Flow Master
A.R.E. LID
Sylvania bright white lights

Old 05-22-2006, 01:09 PM
RagunCajun
Senior User
The cat's on the ranger isnt restricting all that much. The cat's are bigger than the surrounding pipe so they dont restrict airflow much at all if any. From what i've read, the cost out does the benefit of changing them out. Keep in mind that i dont know for sure, this is all from my bad memory haha.

I hallowed my rear set of two out a while back. I never got an engine error like i thought iwould. About 5 months after i got a SCT chip that over writes that rear O2 sensor so i can unplug it and it doesnt harm it at all.

Old 05-22-2006, 02:20 PM
AlphaQlater
Freshman User
Doesn't that harm your setup? I want to configure it to pass smog and OBD II compliant. California is a little more strict. I don't plan on putting computers or chips in my Ranger. Sure it may allow more power, but there have been too many instances where the engine is more stressed than it needs to be because of the power band changing from its original setting. I'm not racing it, so theres no need for that.

Last edited by AlphaQlater; 05-22-2006 at 02:32 PM. Reason: needed to add more
Old 05-22-2006, 02:29 PM
G2IC_Wraith
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Keep in mind, most exhaust systems come with 1 or more resonators. IDK about your truck specifically, but I would be very surprised if you have more than 2 "real" converters.

A set of 50 state legal headers and a good cat-back system (if they exist) should be plenty for you.

Old 05-22-2006, 02:42 PM
AlphaQlater
Freshman User
Then what is a resonator? I looked into Headers but most of them are too damn expensive. Is there a set that you could reccomend that are reliable but at a good price?
I already have a Flowmaster.

Old 05-22-2006, 02:59 PM
RagunCajun
Senior User
Yeah, it can hurt the setup. My point was that that OEM cats are not restricting the exaust enough to really benefit from getting high flow cats.

I thought about doing the same thing in my little 3.0L but it's not worth it. Might be different in the bigger and stronger 4.0L.

Old 05-22-2006, 03:04 PM
G2IC_Wraith
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
A resonator is like a muffler, or another air chamber. It's main purpose is to quiet the db's coming from the tail pipe.

Unfortunately most headers are going to be $$$.

Old 05-22-2006, 03:24 PM
ValkyrieVixen
Junior User
We added a Flowmaster exhaust and hi flow throttle body to our Durango and everyone on the Durango forum says that the stock cats are fine with that setup. We haven't had any problems with it except for the check engine light coming on because of the O2 sensor. It sounds like the stock cats should be fine on the Ranger too.

I'm thinking about adding the same things to my Ranger, how's the sound with the 6? It sounds great with the 5.9 Durango engine.

Old 05-22-2006, 03:42 PM
Kinville
New User
I have heard it both ways, some saying its very restrictive, others saying its not all that inefficient... if I had the money... I would pronbably replace the cats with high flow ones... but I dont have the money so it doesnt matter lol... as for the flowmaster on the ranger... I'm really happy with how it sounds on mine... its the 4.0 however, and I dont know how it sounds on the 3.slow... do keep in mind that it isnt a v8 and while the flowmaster has given my truck a nice sound and somewhat resembles the sound of a v8 now, dont expect a flowmaster to make a 4.0 v6 sound like a 5.9 v8

Old 05-22-2006, 03:45 PM
ValkyrieVixen
Junior User
Originally Posted by Kinville
keep in mind that it isnt a v8 and while the flowmaster has given my truck a nice sound and somewhat resembles the sound of a v8 now, dont expect a flowmaster to make a 4.0 v6 sound like a 5.9 v8
I'd be happy if it sounds like our 1520 c.i. HO-6.

Old 05-22-2006, 05:52 PM
AlphaQlater
Freshman User
My ranger sounds good with the Flowmaster being a 4.0. It almost sounds like my brother's V8 Silverado. But I think it would sound great if I put the high flow cats in. Its like a legal way of putting straight pipe. I'm going to go to my local mechanic this week and see what he has to say and give me an estimate. This guy is good, he knows Boyd Coddington personally. I'll update you guys on what I find.

Old 05-22-2006, 06:15 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're going to gain little to nothing with hi-flow cats. But whatever floats your boat.

I've got a Flowmaster on my truck, and it sounds nothing like our Silverado or Sierra. They sound much more powerful.

RP
Zach

Old 05-22-2006, 06:27 PM
AlphaQlater
Freshman User
Hmmm my bro's Silverado has mods though. I'm not expecting much gains but a better purr outta my truck.

Old 05-22-2006, 08:02 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I doubt it. The resonators? Yes definetly. But not by getting high flow cats.

RP
Zach

Old 05-22-2006, 08:50 PM
RagunCajun
Senior User
Originally Posted by Kinville
I'm really happy with how it sounds on mine... its the 4.0 however, and I dont know how it sounds on the 3.slow
Even with my rear set of cats hallowed out, mine still has a slight "small engine whine". The cats take away from the throaty sound that some people are after. If your state/area is strict on emissions then you gotta keep them

BTW i gotta look more into this resonator stuff. I'll see about getting mine replaced with strait pipe if possible.

Last edited by RagunCajun; 05-22-2006 at 08:53 PM.

Quick Reply: cat converters in Rangers