1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

86 Ranger died and won't start up...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 10:11 PM
Engloid
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 Ranger died and won't start up...

I have an 86 Ranger with the V6 Fuel Injected engine. The truck normally will start with just a bump of the starter, even after weeks of sitting. Today, I hauled dirtbikes to go riding, and on the way back my gas tank was down to about 1/8 tank. I stopped and filled up the truck, bikes, and gas cans. The truck started up great, as usual.

Well, I get about a mile down the road, and the engine cut off as if I had turned the key off. I pumped the gas pedal when I noticed the power drop, and didn't even get one spit or sputter from the engine. I pulled into a parking lot, where I began trying to diagnose the problem.

Of course, the first things I checked for was fuel and spark. Seeing as how I had very limited tools, it was much easier to check for spark first. That seems to be the problem. I'm getting ZERO spark comming out of the coil. I got a friend to bring me a new coil, and still nothing.

So, something's telling the coil not to fire. I put a meter onto the wires that hook to the coil. When the engine cranks, I get something like 14.9 volts between those two... not sure if it should be that or not. I'm thinking yes.

There's a fusible link right near the master cylinder, and it checks out good. There's also some odd looking thing that is on a green wire. It comes out of the wiring "loom" just behind the AC compressor, and re enters it after the odd looking block. It looks like both ends of it go toward the engine. What is this thing?

I checked to make sure that the distributor is turning, and it is.

Do these trucks have crank angle sensors in the distributor? Where's the ECU? Any other ideas you all think I should check?

This truck needs to get fixed fast or I will have to pay a hefty towing bill, since it's about 30 miles from my house.

Old 05-21-2006, 12:11 AM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok well...first things first. Take some tools, remove a spark plug, and ground it to the block. See if it fires. How did you check the plugs.

I am afraid perhaps the fuel filter is clogged, since running a tank low causes all the crap to get sucked up that builds up in the tank.

Or perhaps the crank position sensor has gone haywire.

RP
Zach

Old 05-21-2006, 10:15 AM
Engloid
Junior User
Originally Posted by RangerPilot
Ok well...first things first. Take some tools, remove a spark plug, and ground it to the block. See if it fires. How did you check the plugs.
I didn't check the plugs. I figure that if there's no spark comming out of the coil, there cannot be any spark getting to the plugs.
I am afraid perhaps the fuel filter is clogged, since running a tank low causes all the crap to get sucked up that builds up in the tank.
That makes sense, but if it were the case, the car would have probably sputtered and then died, possibly ran intermittently for a while or something...rather than shut off like the key had been turned off. My fuel filter has only been in the truck for about 5000miles, probably less. I've had the truck for about 3 years, and I only drive it on a 30 minute trip about once a month. I only haul motorcycles in it, to a local riding place.
Or perhaps the crank position sensor has gone haywire.
This is what I'm afraid of...but I don't know where it is on the car, or how to test it. Any ideas?

Old 05-21-2006, 10:28 AM
fyre82
Senior User
Check the fuel cutoff on the firewall below the glove box, reset it by pushing the white button on top.

Another item to check is the TFI module on the back of the distributor.

And, last but not least, the Fuel Pressure regulator on the injector rail, if there is fuel in the vacuum hose to it then it died, or, worst case, it dumped a bunch of fuel into the crank case. If that is the case an oil change will be in order along with the new FPR.

Not sure if the 86 has a crank position sensor. Is it a 2.9?

Good luck

Rich

Old 05-21-2006, 11:09 AM
Engloid
Junior User
Originally Posted by fyre82
Check the fuel cutoff on the firewall below the glove box, reset it by pushing the white button on top.
So that would be on the inside of the cab?
Another item to check is the TFI module on the back of the distributor.
That's where the wires plug into the dist, right? How do I check it? That dist is a pain to get to. You have to pull all the wires off the cap just to get the cap off the dist. Crappy design...
And, last but not least, the Fuel Pressure regulator on the injector rail, if there is fuel in the vacuum hose to it then it died, or, worst case, it dumped a bunch of fuel into the crank case. If that is the case an oil change will be in order along with the new FPR.
I'll check that also, but I'm thinking that it's an electrical issue, because even running a vehicle completly out of gas will make it spit and sputter a couple times before it dies.
Not sure if the 86 has a crank position sensor. Is it a 2.9?
Yes. It's a 2.9L

Last edited by Engloid; 05-21-2006 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:51 AM
Dave257
Posting Guru
Here is a link that will help with the ign troubleshooting,
https://www.ford-trucks.com/lc/lc.ph...tionSystem.doc
You can also read it in the technical note at the top of the fourm.

When you get the spark fixed, you cal look at the fuel if needed.

Dave

Old 05-21-2006, 09:49 PM
fyre82
Senior User
The fuel cut off is inside the cab, on the firewall below the heater plenum, about the level of carpet if you have it.

Search the forum for hints on testing the TFI module, seems that they either die or act up when hot, then die. Yeah it is a PITA to access.

As far as the fuel pressure regulator, I've had one go completely kaput and filled the crank with fuel. Yeah It sputtered and belched a HUGE cloud of vaporized gasoline, good thing there were no external ignition sources or we both would have burned, me and the truck.

I guess I can't be more specific without typing a novel, someone else may be more eloquent than I.
Search, you'll find some of the answers, I've seen tons of em here.

Good Luck

Old 05-21-2006, 09:56 PM
Engloid
Junior User
I figured it out..it was the TFI module. It was a pain to get to, but did fix the problem. Thanks guys!!

Old 05-21-2006, 10:24 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Glad you got it fixed.

RP
Zach

Old 05-22-2006, 06:55 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Make sure that you used the white goop on the backside of the TFI. It helps transfer heat from the TFI to the distributor body. Without it, the TFI will soon need to be replaced again.
You can buy a special wrench to remove and install the mounting screws. I know none of my sockets fit... PITA.

tom