1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

How Can We Possibly Know Which is the Best Chip?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 10:30 AM
arninetyes
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Can We Possibly Know Which is the Best Chip?

What is the best chip for the Powerstroke? Let's face it, everyone wants to buy the best - or at least the best for their money. But what really is best from a real world standpoint?

Many people on this forum sing the praises of Jody Tipton's and Tony Wildman's chips, and, in my limited experience, deservedly so.

There is also a cadre of sponsors who highly recommend the products they carry, and they should do so - they have a select line of products that they carry and believe in, and they would be foolish to recommend or promote someone else's products as being superior to their own.

Still, sponsors and apostles notwithstanding, at some point, I would really like to see an unbiased comparison between various chips. The comparison would have to include actual power output, including actual vs. advertized, just to see how chip makers claims compare to reality.

But power isn't everything. Let's face it, having a chip that produces more power than any other is meaningless if it sacrifices reliability or driveability. So other parameters would have to be assessed, from objective ones, like smoke output, to subjective, like driveability.

A test like this would have to be done by a non-involved, 3rd party. Seriously, who would believe a chip maker that compares 20 different chips and concludes that their own was the best?

Too bad it would cost so much money - it seems the only people with enough money to do this would be the very people who would have something at stake. And, in truth, honest ones wouldn't want true results revealed (if unfavorable), and dishonest ones couldn't be trusted in the first place.

Seriously, if I was a chip maker or seller, I would NOT want to do this study and reveal that MY chip wasn't as good as Brand X's chip. I also would not want to do this study and confirm that my chip was best, because others would accuse me setting test parameters that favored my product, or that I was outright lying about results.

So, it looks like the only way we have to figure out which is best is by listening to advertizing, with a grain (or even the whole damn shaker) of salt, and relating our anecdotal experiences on this forum.

I am SO glad FTE is here.

Old 05-15-2006, 11:17 AM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only organization in US, that makes such comparison on regular bases is Customer Report.
I don't think spending mentioned big money for limited PS market is going to happen, so next thing we can do is reading this forum.

Old 05-15-2006, 11:25 AM
Medic 66
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Kajtek1
The only organization in US, that makes such comparison on regular bases is Customer Report.
I don't think spending mentioned big money for limited PS market is going to happen, so next thing we can do is reading this forum.
10-4 to that!

Old 05-15-2006, 12:57 PM
MikeSDK
Elder User
I am so glad that this thread has been started.

I'm a new PSD owner, so not only am I just beginning to understand the world of diesels in general, but I've also just been introduced to the world of diesel aftermarket performance goods.

Knowing that I'd eventually like to do some of these mods (especially chips/programmers), the selection is completely mind-boggling to me- how can I begin to make any sort of determination as to what I would/would not want, or what would be best for my needs?

There may be something of this nature available, but it would be great to see some kind of chart that listed all the different brands down the left hand side, then all the different things chips are capable of across the top, and for each brand, put an 'x' in the chart if brand 'a' on the side was capable of action 'b' across the top.

At least in my mind, I could then begin to understand a little about why I'd want to go with one over another.

The amount of different chips/programmers on the market is dizzying, and I can't make heads or tails of it.

Old 05-15-2006, 02:55 PM
arninetyes
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by MikeSDK
The amount of different chips/programmers on the market is dizzying, and I can't make heads or tails of it.
I certainly understand that! One of the reasons I brought this up is that I was in the same situation as you about a year ago. I bought intake, exhaust, and gauges. Then I started looking for a chip/tuner.

I, too, was bewildered by the choices. On the recommendation of a performance diesel dealer, I purchased an Edge tuner. I was quite impressed with it in the 60hp tune - what's not to like? More power. Better fuel mileage.

That is, until I started playing with the higher tunes, 80 and 100. Both were terrible. I'm sure that dealer had positive feedback from other Evo owners. I, too, would have left positive feedback if I based it only on 1/3 of the tunes available.

After spending much time reading here, I chose a (replacement) chip that was receiving great reviews - a 6-posisiton chip tuned by Jody Tipton, and haven't regretted the second purchase at all.

But I keep reading people (not just dealers) recommending Predator/Bully Dog/Banks/Edge, and others, and know that people newly afflicted with PMS may be confused by it all. I know I was.

Old 05-15-2006, 03:58 PM
Highmark18
Senior User
Originally Posted by Kajtek1
I think what you mean is Consumer Reports, but maybe that is something else.

This is a very interesting thread, and I will be watching it closely. I am at the point of purchasing a chip, but cannot decide which way to go (I am leaning towards Jody's setup)
I just cannot get up the nerve to ask for his phone number, because once I have that I will not be able to help myself.....

Old 05-15-2006, 04:09 PM
El Gato
Senior User
All due respect for programers and chips out there and the people who post their thoughts... I do not know if I can genuinely trust the supporters of the 6 Pos Jody Tipton chip. Everytime there is the slightest mention to a chip I feel like the thread gets pelted with a Jody Tipton marketing scheme. No offense to him or the people who use it. I just need to see it for my own self. Knowing Jody's outfit is smaller and he has to deal with some heavy hitters in the marketing field it makes things difficult. I often go with manufacturer backed products. So far I have been lucky with my stuff. However, I am thinking about stacking a chip or programer. I might even go with a Jody Tipton 6 Pos.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 05-15-2006, 04:10 PM
Finally
Senior User
I think someone said it the best with "the best tuner/chip they can afford". I bought a predator for less than $200 on this forum's classifieds a while back. I am programmed for 60hp and haven't changed since I bought it. My early '99 runs better and harder than any gas truck or car that I ever owned.

I am sure it doesn't compare very well with the chips that are out there but it was a good fit for me, plus I got a code reader as well.

Old 05-15-2006, 04:29 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by El Gato
All due respect for programers and chips out there and the people who post their thoughts... I do not know if I can genuinely trust the supporters of the 6 Pos Jody Tipton chip. Everytime there is the slightest mention to a chip I feel like the thread gets pelted with a Jody Tipton marketing scheme....
Just my 2 cents.
I know what you mean. I just bought a TS 6 Pos chip for $260 and installed it last week. It has stock, hi idle, 50/75/100/140 settings. Figured they were all the same except for what tune is loaded into it so I gave it a shot thinking maybe if it was that bad, I could ship it to DP for a new tune.

Well I've finally got some seat time with it and I'm not shipping it anywhere. That thing kicks butt and I'm not having any real tranny issues considering my slushbox is bone stock. That will be my next mod.

Would have liked to have posted about it but didn't want to hear about the DP chip anymore. I'm sure it is a fine product but I just don't think it is the only product. The guys ranting about the DP chip don't mean ill will, they are truly trying to pass on good information and certainly have more experience than I do. They've been there, done that. If money was not a consideration, there would be a DP chip and BTS valve body in my truck right now as I think Jody has certainly proven his product.

However, I'm on a budget. Since many will read this thread, I am more than happy with this chip. No changes planned for me. TS chips stack up very favorably against DP chips on the dyno, especially since they are not "custom burned" for your individual truck. BTW, I think TS makes chips that are sold under the Bully Dog and ATS brands.

I'm not saying TS is the best, I'm saying it's got me grinning.
Sorry for the long post

Old 05-15-2006, 04:36 PM
CAT_man_963
Posting Guru
The "Jody Tipton marketing scheme"??????

Last edited by CAT_man_963; 05-15-2006 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:02 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by arninetyes
The comparison would have to include actual power output, including actual vs. advertized, just to see how chip makers claims compare to reality.
I like the idea, but this part would be tough to do. Chips will perform differently on a truck depending on it's modifications. An 80 HP tune may not make quite 80 more on a completely stock truck, but the same tune could make more than 80 on a truck with intake/exhaust/turbo upgrades.

Take my truck for example. I think stock power output for the 2000 model year was 250 at the crank. On the dyno a few weeks ago, the 100 HP tune on my DP chip put down about 290 HP at the rear wheels. Assuming a 20% power loss for the driveline, that would put the HP at slightly more than 360 at the crank, 10 more than the advertised 100 HP.

Old 05-15-2006, 05:16 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Highmark18
I just cannot get up the nerve to ask for his phone number, because once I have that I will not be able to help myself.....
828-221-0076 Sorry....had to do it.

I don't think there is any type of Jody Tipton marketing scheme on this forum. I think that would get someone kicked off here faster than most people would realize it happened. What I do see is people who are giving honest opinions on the performance of their chip.

Both Guzzle and Cat_man have switched from a TS chip to a DP chip, and both feel like there in an increase in performance, in power and transmission. Unfortunately, I think they are the only ones who switched. Strokin also has a TS chip, bought it because it was cheaper, but he's already said he will upgrade when money allows. I switched from a Predator programmer. I didn't know things could be better until I got something different.

I think the reason you see so many people talking about the DP chip is because of their previous experiences. This forum has saved me a bunch of money in the past, and I like to try and return that favor. I just hate to see someone spend money on a tuner or chip, and then watch them upgrade sometime later.

One that hasn't been mentioned much here though is the DI chip. DI does their own burns. Cookie just had a DI chip put in when he got his new motor, and really likes it.

Bottom line to me, I don't think you can go wrong, as long as you stick with one of the reputable tuners out there, and make sure it's someone who will back their product. I know of a couple of instances where Jody has gone beyond what most shops would do to ensure that the customer is properly taken care of. DI also has a stellar reputation with taking care of warranty issues.

For me personally though, I'll stick with the DP chip, and anyone asks my opinion it will be for Jody's chip. I've had great results, excellent support from him, and even a lot of advice on products that he has nothing to do with. Customer service is an important part of a product that I buy, and to me, DP shines in that area.

Old 05-15-2006, 05:17 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
I never said nor meant that Chad. I am not trying to start anything here, I simply want others to know that there are other options out there that cost less. Kinda like the difference between SS and aluminized exhaust or 4' VS 5". They all work.

This forum is about sharing info on the truck and various products. Lately, it seems that if it isn't a DP chip, you shouldn't waste your time. People come to the forum looking for info or sharing info. I believe you guys that the DP is a damn good chip. Just cannot afford it right now and the TS is working fine for me.

Others might want to know about that. Think about this, I have done every mod you see posted below getting ready for a chip and now I have one. I was ecstatic. I should have been ranting about it on the site but found myself reluctant to post my results for fear that if I did, and somebody became curious, the usual "just get a DP chip" posts would inevitably result.

Remember your post after the DP and BTS, what if somebody had posted: "yeah those are OK, but if you want the good stuff ya shoulda bought the (substitute name here) brand stuff because it's the only one to have"?

That is all I am trying to convey here. Remember, we all drive the same trucks. Peace out.

Old 05-15-2006, 05:24 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Tenn01PSD350
This forum is about sharing info on the truck and various products...the TS is working fine for me.

Others might want to know about that. Think about this, I have done every mod you see posted below getting ready for a chip and now I have one. I was ecstatic. I should have been ranting about it on the site but found myself reluctant to post my results for fear that if I did, and somebody became curious, the usual "just get a DP chip" posts would inevitably result.
You are 100% correct. This site is all about sharing. I wish you would have posted that. I'm glad that the TS chip is working very well for you, and I wouldn't thing that many would have said anything negative about it. If we could all afford the best of the best, we'd have fully built motors with at least two turbos.

Old 05-15-2006, 05:33 PM
CAT_man_963
Posting Guru
Hey it's cool Tenn - that wasn't directed at you - it just happened to show up after your post.... I was referring to a previous post that you had quoted...

I don't THINK I have posted anything negative about another company to anyone - saying you SHOULD have gotten DPTuner (If I have I'll apologize right now)....

I WOULD recommend Jody to anyone - as it IS the best of anything I have had on MY OWN rig thus far...

JUST like I recomended my TS chip, back when I got that, to replace my SCMT....

Last edited by CAT_man_963; 05-15-2006 at 05:45 PM.

Quick Reply: How Can We Possibly Know Which is the Best Chip?