1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Check out my New 4x4 1976 F150. (Lots of Pics) Lift, Tires, Wiring Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 07:18 PM
drewduncan15
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check out my New 4x4 1976 F150. (Lots of Pics) Lift, Tires, Wiring Questions.

Picked up this truck on Saturday. It was originally Black and Silver but when the PO did the paint job he painted the silver Blue. I'm going to change it back to Silver. The Baby blue doesn't look bad but I think it will look a whole of a lot better in silver.
I liked how well optioned the truck was, A/C, Race Track Trim, Door pockets, Cargo light, tilt steering wheel, hood lock. Also something i've never seen before; the passenger sun visor has a mirror with lights (which doesn't work) and it looks to be factory?

Now some of my questions/wanting opinions. First thing, it needs new, and bigger wheels. I have brand new Aluminum wheels that I want to put BF Goodrich all terrains on. I think what i'm going to do is buy a leveling kit springs and raise the front end the 1-2 inches they're supposed to raise it. I then want to put 33" tires on. Will there be any fitment issues? Also, should I go with the 10.5 width or 12.5? And I'm not sure what my rim width is but I know that I don't want the wheels sticking out past the fenders.

Next question is about my Interior Lights and Cargo Light. I'm not getting any power to the lights. Is there a fuse or common problem area I should look at first before really digging into it?

I'm planning on taking the bed and front end off and cleaning up the frame and motor and painting/ powdercoating everything. I'll try to post the progress.

Any preferred headers for a 4x4 360?

Here she is, and I know it has the 79 grill on it.

Here's the rims i'm going to use on it

Old 04-22-2015, 10:33 PM
KIKKUP
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats on your purchase! Mighty fine looking truck you have there with some sweet options. Give that engine bay a little love'n and you'll have a show winner. I like the front end too.

I think you'll be okay with the 33" especially if you boost the front a little.

As far as wheel width, I'd say 10's might be putting the rubber past the fender a wee bit and you might not want that with your sweet new paint job. Those would probably be fine in the back but I think the track on the 4x4s are a bit wider (Someone will surely correct me if I'm wrong about that).

The interior light is probably real simple. A bulb, a ground or a fuse. Check the stickies for links to the wiring diagrams.

Look forward to your updates!

Headers? Look here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...6-360-4x4.html

Old 04-23-2015, 12:12 AM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That's a nice truck but I'd argue that it's not a 1976, or it's had a complete body swap including wiring and everything else.

Suggest you check the VIN numbers on it.

Also looks to be a 351M/400 and not a 360.

There's something fishy going on here....

That lighted visor is worth a mint!

I would replace all your fuses first, I say replace instead of check as sometimes they look good but the ends are seperated inside, you could check with a test light to make sure power is actually going through the fuse.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:28 AM
drewduncan15
Tuned
Yeah I feel kinda dumb now for not looking more into it. Still happy with the truck and title and vin matches up but the PO said when the paint was done they put on a new door, which must be the "76" so in guessing it's a 79? I'm not by the truck but will have to look more.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:31 AM
CelticOne
Regular User
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
The front grill/headlights are definitely not 76. They are 79.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:53 AM
TektonB
Freshman User
Nice looking truck. Impressive find!

Old 04-23-2015, 08:54 AM
emeraldcoupe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
whatever year it turns out to be, that's a great looking truck!

Old 04-23-2015, 11:03 AM
CelticOne
Regular User
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
^^X2 on that. My earlier comment was not to be critical, just observational (if that's a word!). Nice truck :-)

Old 04-23-2015, 11:04 AM
Jdeshler
Fleet Mechanic
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Beautiful truck, loved all the pictures!

The only thing I can see that isn't new is the valve covers

Old 04-23-2015, 11:08 AM
Jdeshler
Fleet Mechanic
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
I ran 35 12.50's on mine with no lift and they cleared great.. If you level it 33's should never rub

Old 04-23-2015, 05:59 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wasn't trying to come off as mean, no matter what year the truck is it's a very well optioned and very good looking pickup.

Just makes it a lot easier to get the correct parts when you know what everything is.

Check the VIN on the passenger side of the frame.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:49 PM
drewduncan15
Tuned
Thought i'd post a little update;

Purchased new BF Goodrich 33x10.5x15 tires for the truck. it desperately needed new tires and i think the size fits pretty well.

Tonight I Ordered my "Leveling kit" and front end bushing set so I can get the ride where I want it. I'll try to post before and after pictures of the change in the stance.

A couple weeks ago I had the bed off and painted my frame and the inside of the bedsides. I was very impressed by how rust free the truck is. The Oil/Tar undercoating put on it at some point has preserved it so well. While I had the bed off I mounted my front gas tank and got it hooked up. Was pleased when all of the wiring etc. worked right after being hooked back up.

Next on the plate is scheduling a shop to install true dual exhaust. I've gotten two quotes for $400, so not to bad. Thought about buying the LMC kit but after reading mixed reviews I thought I'd go with the slightly more expensive but guaranteed way.

I also need to service the A/C system its all there and seems untouched, Is this something I could tackle myself or send it out? I really don't know much about that system or how involved it is...

One last thing,

If you look at one of the front on grill pictures above you'll see in the upper left part of the grill a little patch. In that plate there is a key, which says "Golden Key" on it. It has a round cylinder on the back of it then two battery cables coming out of it. One running to the starter and one running to the solenoid. Any idea what this is? An Option?

Old 06-02-2015, 09:08 PM
Jrgunn5150
Laughing Gas
Received 246 Likes on 164 Posts
The key to the Chocolate Factory? Lol, I have no idea, sorry, but love your truck!

Old 06-02-2015, 09:24 PM
KIKKUP
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man that truck is purty! Nice detail on the rear frame too. Looks like you got a deal on the dual exhaust too.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:10 PM
bkaul
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by drewduncan15
If you look at one of the front on grill pictures above you'll see in the upper left part of the grill a little patch. In that plate there is a key, which says "Golden Key" on it. It has a round cylinder on the back of it then two battery cables coming out of it. One running to the starter and one running to the solenoid. Any idea what this is? An Option?
Maybe some sort of remote-start switch a previous owner rigged up?

Quick Reply: Check out my New 4x4 1976 F150. (Lots of Pics) Lift, Tires, Wiring Questions.