Modular V10 (6.8l)  

F250 V10 Towing woes

Old 05-22-2006, 11:18 AM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by krewat
Did that explain that? I was at a 50th birthday party last night (not mine!)
Senility will get you nowhere!!!!

How far away are you? Not much, I bet...

Old 05-22-2006, 12:03 PM
cam188
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I may have found part of my problem anyways. I have long legs and have the seat back all the way and the pedals all the way forward. I think when they are to close to the floor with the floor mat it limits trave and that is why I couldn't get any more. But after reading your posts it may be the computer not letting me overrev. Thanks Guys.

Old 05-22-2006, 12:14 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Orn
Senility will get you nowhere!!!!

How far away are you? Not much, I bet...
I'm just a little fuzzy today

Under 10 years - I turn 41 in November.

Old 05-22-2006, 12:38 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by cam188
I think I may have found part of my problem anyways. I have long legs and have the seat back all the way and the pedals all the way forward. I think when they are to close to the floor with the floor mat it limits trave and that is why I couldn't get any more. But after reading your posts it may be the computer not letting me overrev. Thanks Guys.
That would be funny if that's what it is....

Report back!

Old 05-22-2006, 02:48 PM
captchas
add the govenor built into the trans holding up the down shift. plus rpm and line pressure have a lot to do with shifting still.

Old 05-23-2006, 12:30 AM
wallboyz
Junior User
Back to krewat & fredvon4: I have the C1 (3:73) with the auto 4 speed 4r100 tranny(1,2, drive & OD). As I said at the start of this thread I do manually shift into first. The rpm's certainly raise and the engine roar, I think I pushed it about 30mph before shifting into 2nd. 2nd gear gives me no power, it loses all the momentum just gained. My tach ranges up to 6K but there is no visible redline or yellow zone, the max RPM ranges of 1st gear are of great interest to me. I Not that I'm giving up on my current setup but would the 4:30 rear overcome that torque curve or forced limitation? Cam188, good luck and hope you find the answers you need.

By the way, 2 hours to change plugs, a swiveling t-handle plug remover (short handled) was the ticket to reaching the back plugs. Left side was 1.5 hours, right side took 1/2 hour.

Old 05-23-2006, 06:40 AM
captchas
Originally Posted by krewat
I'm just a little fuzzy today

Under 10 years - I turn 41 in November.
youngster yet. you still need 10 more to grow up. thats when you start buying back some of the toys you sold for the kids growing up. yeha ! now if could just afford to get back my super bird

Old 05-23-2006, 06:57 AM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
wallboyz...

I don't want you to take this the wrong way (not trying to flame you) but please do yourself a favor

Go out and drive the truck empty. On a safe stretch of long straight highway max out each gear manually all the way to the red line in first and second

The computer will not let you hurt the motor or trany

You will see exactly where the max rpm (5200 to 5500) you rpm limiter is set
You will see exactly what the top speed in each gear is (up to the 93-95MPH limiter)
You will feel how much torque and power are available in 2nd and 3rd gears

Unless you have a bad torque converter or other 4R100 issues, there is no way this statement makes any sense: (I think I pushed it about 30mph before shifting into 2nd. 2nd gear gives me no power, it loses all the momentum just gained) Unless you are not telling us the whole story about the steepness of the hill or the total weight of the entire truck and load.

I can start from a turn out at the 7900 foot mark on a 10 thousand foot pass that climbs the mountain at 6% to 13% grade and accelerate a 4R110 2v V10 package that weighs just over 19,000 pounds total. I manually run the 1st gear up to 25mph, shift to 2nd and feather the throttle to keep speed around 45 55 mph with motor screaming at 4600 to 5100 rpm and sucking fuel like it is free.

I bet if you bounce that motor off the rpm limiter a few times you will loose your fear of working the dog snot out of the motor....just a gut feeling

OK rant over and wallboyz probably does not deserve all this pent up frustration

Here are some other things to consider: I said before..... some 2v V10s are dogs, some have very bad PCM codes that severely limit power, there are some that have a sensitivity to brands of fuel.

The 4R100 can have issues. A previous over temp may have smoked the clutches and bands, the torque converter can be hosed up (bad pump), or the shift valves could be weak, the fluid can be the wrong stuff, burnt, or just low

Too low a tire pressure, too heavy a load, 4x4 engaged and dragging, all eat power

Last edited by Fredvon4; 05-23-2006 at 06:59 AM.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:11 AM
captchas
very good points fred.
pcm codes is why we tell our customers go and get reflashed with up to date pcm codes before we write a custom tune for them . and many have come back saying that made a difference by it self. before the tune is written.
same with the 4r100 it does have soft parts inside some made of plastic and weak planitary gear sets were the pinion shaft retainers come loose and fail in the earlier ones. but brass tacks most shops know very well what to change and update to bullit proof the bad boy.
gearing could be some of his other problems as a lower set will also help make the pull much easier both from a stop and up the mountain

Old 05-23-2006, 10:50 AM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I guess another way to state what I mean is that my experience with my first 2v V10 310HP version, mated to a fresh unabused 4R100 and twisting a 3.73:1 LS rear differential and stock height tires all loaded down to 19,058 pounds had no issues at all climbing out of sea level Central Texas and traversing several very significant (11,000+ feet) mountain passes to Vail Colorado and back.

At no time while I owned that 2001 combination would I have ever described her as a dog, lacking power, or poor tow vehicle. I did think, that if I needed to tow any heavier, the 4.30:1 gear option would help a lot.

Got me a fresh 05 3v V10 and the 4.30:1 gears and I now know for a fact that the diesel option is no longer "required" to pull heavy in the tall mountains.... BUT !.... you MUST be willing to "wind her up" on the steep sections

My current truck gets loaded out to 22,860+/- pounds three times a year and makes the 1600-2800 mile round trips with zero issues... best $29,795 dollars I ever spent on a tow vehicle

This post is general info and not meant to hijack the thread... There are many followers here who seek ideas about how their truck is performing

Final thought.... the 4R100 is and was very heat sensitive, stock units were not the best Ford ever made, a good rebuild shop can literally Bullet proof it, and you must seriously consider additional oil cooling capacity if you run heavy loads

Old 05-23-2006, 10:53 PM
wallboyz
Junior User
You can beat me up and educate me any way you see fit If my brother in law with his crappy 06 hemi thinks he can dog me when he only pulls a puny & pansy 2000 lb travel trailer then you can surely dog me for learning to defend myself with positive results. All show...is going to be the smile on my face when that RAM craps out and I drive by him.

Anyway, I do feel hesitant about pushing the rev limiters in each gaer but if fredvon4 & captchas are both in agreemment I'll run that to its limit. I'll try it both on the flat and a grade. Whew, gas in San Diego is still at $3.29 a gallon so this may cost more than the tuneup...lol. Why doesn't the tach have any redlines? Is it because the pcm codes can effect performance so much?

Old 05-24-2006, 03:31 AM
BFR250SD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It doesn't have a "redline", so to speak, as it's a throw back to when YOU had to make sure you didn't over rev the engine. Now with all the computer controls, it's kind of an unneeded item. Nice to know, but not needed.

Old 05-24-2006, 06:28 AM
live4nascar
New User
I just wanted to say that i purchased a 99 F250 SD 4x4 supercab long box this winter hoping that it would pull my TT...... Well it did more that pull it ......it pulled it apart. I only have 373s, stock tires, and a k&n filter that came with the truck. My trailer weighed in @ 6578 pounds almost ready to camp.......minus beer a hot dog and a bun.
I just wanted to thank all of you guys that have made so many posts about these great trucks. I truly am a believer!!!! that v10 really can rip up the highway if ya let er!!

Old 05-24-2006, 06:44 AM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Capt ,nowhere in this thread did the mention of fuel presure test get suggested.
Yes he changed the fuel filter,but he may have a fuel pump going bad or a regulator not providing the fuel presure at the rail that these v-10's need.

yes the 3.73 gears are hurting him,along with a dud pcm code maybe ,but he should verify the fuel pressure at the rail while running at part throttle.

Jusst my 2 cents for this thread
Rich

Old 05-24-2006, 07:06 AM
captchas
dang it rich why do we have to be on the wrong ends of ny state so i could shake your hand and we could down a mug or two?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F250 V10 Towing woes