Carb problem driving me nuts???????

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 06:28 PM
BuffDaddy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Carb problem driving me nuts???????

Greetings all:
Rebuilt the carb on my 63 Econoline with a kit. New power valve, etc. Here is the problem. Can't get engine to idle slow, just runs at very fast idle. I got to wondering after playing around with it with no happy ending??

When rebuilding, there were I believe ?, 2 small ***** like bb's in the carb housing. If these are put back in wrong spot, will this cause fast idleing?? I thought instructions in kit showed some carbs have 3 *****? think mine only had two and "think" I got them back in right place. Would surely appreciate any help on this problem, it's driving me batty!!!
THANKS in advance and look forward to your replies ASAP!!

BuffDaddy

Old 06-21-2006, 09:47 PM
grclark351
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a vacuum leak will cause it to run at a high idle. check the carb/manifold gaskets and all the hoses for cracks or loose fit. spraying WD40 or carb cleaner at suspect spots will help find a vac leak. are you sure it's not sitting on the choke idle setting?

Old 06-21-2006, 10:24 PM
BuffDaddy
Junior User
Carb problems

Manual choke, fully open. Will check for leaks.

Thanks, Buff

Old 06-22-2006, 09:28 PM
grclark351
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
or if you have the vacuum line for the vac advance connected to intake manifold vacuum, that would make it run fast at idle too...i'm not particularly familiar with that carb so i don't know about the check *****, that possibility is still on the table. do you know the carb model? i might have a diagram.

Last edited by grclark351; 06-22-2006 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:56 PM
Jimbare
all alone in the world
will it not idle down at all, or is it dieing when it does?

if it wont idle down at all, check all the choke linkage and make sure it is free.
and be sure and check the throttle shaft, if it is loose it will let the butterfly bind in the bore and hold it open a little.

also look at all the little linkage rods and make sure you didnt get one on backwards. [dont ask how i know to check this!]

Old 06-23-2006, 08:54 PM
BuffDaddy
Junior User
THANKS, will do 1st thing Saturday morn and report back.

Buff

Old 06-25-2006, 11:06 AM
BuffDaddy
Junior User
Smile Hooray Hooray Hooray!!!!!

Hi All:

Well, Spent Saturday trying to tackle that carb problem. Took carb off and completely went through it again, making sure every nook and cranny was clean. Re-assembled carefully paying attention to every detail.

Also, took off the water jacket spacer that goes between carb and manifold, cleaned it and installed a new gasket on it. Old gasket looked suspect and was very brittle. This might of been leaking vacuum there? Installed new gasket between carb and spacer, tightened everything down and tested.

It took a bit for gas to fill carb when cranking engine, but when it did, engine fired right up. After making a few adjustments, NO MORE FAST IDLE PROBLEM!!! I STILL HAVE TO "FINE TUNE" carb today as far as idle speed and mixture setting but looks like problem solved of the not ideling down. Sure hope so :-)) Step on gas now and let go? idles right back down.

THANKS for all your replies and ideas with this problem.

BuffDaddy