6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Details on '08 model year diesel changes

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 07:32 AM
wsuarez
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Details on '08 model year diesel changes

Folks,

Some of this may be rehashed data but I picked up a copy of an internal Ford document from a local Ford dealer (new england) entitled: EPA - '07 yesterday.

It quotes new EPA regulations on sulfur content (500 PPM down to 15 PPM) for the Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel fuel and also references new "low ash oils" that are also required - at $5.00 to $7.00 a quart. That pushes maintenance costs for us way up too.

Big exhaust system changes with new AFT (After Treatment Devices) that replace the muffler and/or resonator. A DOC (Diesel Oxidation Catalyst) and DPF (Diesel Particlaute Filter) will remove the soot from exhaust. They use a "regeneration" process to burn the soot by injecting fuel into the exhaust down pipe and igniting it. Apparently at 100K miles, and/or 5,000 hours, a dealer service will be required to remove the ash residue. Projected at $500 (at least).

This doc also references that it's expected these changes will decrease mileage effeciency by at least 15% and that diesl "light trucks" will see a price increase of between $3,500 and $5,000 or as much as $8,000 more than a comparibly equipped gas vehicle.

Great data but it does make me very concerned about the complexity of these new "power plants".

He also indicated that the 2007 model year will be very short with orders already in the system now for '07's (very little change over the '06's) and that the 08's will start to be ordered around September.

Although he couldn't say it "for the record" he did indicate that there is a lot of trepidation with his customers about the new power plant.

On a separate note he also confirmed that the 4.5L diesel WILL make it to the F150 - not in '08, likely '09.

Bill

Last edited by wsuarez; 05-05-2006 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:43 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
If you are going to do this:

Originally Posted by wsuarez
They use a "regneration" process to burn the soot by injecting fuel into the exhaust down pipe and igniting it.
Then this is not surprising.

This doc also references that it's expected these changes will decrease mileage effeciency by at least 15%

Old 05-05-2006, 07:51 AM
Gunner15a
Elder User
Folks,

Some of this may be rehashed data but I picked up a copy of an internal Ford document from a local Ford dealer (new england) entitled: EPA - '07 yesterday.

It quotes new EPA regulations on sulfur content (500 PPM down to 15 PPM) for the Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel fuel and also references new "low ash oils" that are also required - at $5.00 to $7.00 a quart. That pushes maintenance costs for us way up too.

Big exhaust system changes with new AFT (After Treatment Devices) that replace the muffler and/or resonator. A DOC (Diesel Oxidation Catalyst) and DPF (Diesel Particlaute Filter) will remove the soot from exhaust. They use a "regeneration" process to burn the soot by injecting fuel into the exhaust down pipe and igniting it. Apparently at 100K miles and/or 5,000 hours. a dealer service will be required to remove the ash residue.

This doc also references that it's expected these changes will decrease mileage effeciency by at least 15% and that diesl "light trucks" will see a price increase of between $3,500 and $5,000 or as much as $8,000 more than a comparibly equipped gas vehicle.

Great data but it does make me very concerned about the complexity of these new "power plants".

Bill
Why THANKS A PANTLOAD, EPA. Glad I got my 06 when I did. My tax dollars in action...........

Treehuggers strike again

Gunner15a

Old 05-05-2006, 09:10 AM
Banksstroker
Junior User
This reminds me of a phone call I made back in '01 to the DOT, asking them if a light diesel truck required a catalytic converter. My '99 7.3 had one, but I believe the '00 and '01 did not. She told me that catalytics were not required, and that the emissions from a diesel were not nearly as damaging to the environment because it is a "particulate" emission that settles unlike that from a Gas. If this is the case, how come those uneducated types tend to think that because they are noisy and emit occasional black "particulate" that they now require more restrictions than their gas counterparts. I am glad I live in Florida where we don't have required annual vehicle inspections. This sounds like some cool stuff to rip off of the truck upon its delivery. Believe me, this will be my goal, not to damage the environment, but to get the most out of this truck (fuel economy and otherwise) therefore bypassing some more of these bunny hugging, bureaucratic BS restrictions.

Banksstroker

Old 05-05-2006, 03:03 PM
captain p4
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wonder who the first one to take out the filter and make a flamethrower exhaust will be.. haha.

Old 05-05-2006, 04:23 PM
Ry_Trapp0
Junior User
i was wondering the same thing too! a factory flame thrower!!! not only that but its standard equipment too!!!!!! although it needs an aftermarket on/off switch so you arent constantly flame throwing with your precious fuel.

Old 05-05-2006, 04:31 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yep. The casual diesel market is gonna get weak. Pay more $$$ for higher fuel cost. That's what I'm talkin' about.

Personally, my need for truck tonnage capacity has changed recently anyway so I may wind up back in an F-150 in a year or so anyway....hmm...may boost the trade / private party price of our trucks though...unless the used market gets flooded with them of course.

Decisions, decisions.

Old 05-05-2006, 09:14 PM
Louisville Joe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 113 Likes on 84 Posts
Many are predicting gas engines will become very popular in medium duty trucks.

Old 05-06-2006, 05:47 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Louisville Joe
Many are predicting gas engines will become very popular in medium duty trucks.
My Dodge V-10 pulls like a freight train.

I also drinks like a sailor on leave for the first time in 6 months.

Actually, it gets about 8 mpg pulling my 10,000 lbs. trailer. My diesel gets 11-12.

If the EPA regs are going to take the diesel down to 9-10 mpg, and make the 6.4 option maybe $8000 (plus added expensive maintenance) and if the price of diesel fuel goes up, then the gasser starts looking more interesting, at least with my relatively light trailer.

Old 05-06-2006, 05:52 AM
Century Coronado
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by captain p4
I wonder who the first one to take out the filter and make a flamethrower exhaust will be.. haha.
Sheesh, imagine backing that into your garage!

Old 05-06-2006, 04:34 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This flamethrower in the exhaust pipe idea is almost the same as the concept they use on gas engines, by wich the exhaust valve opens early (before bdc) to release the still burning mix to heat the exhaust manifolds to burn off any unburned fuel.

Or at least thats what i was told how it works...

I wonder how much you could sell a brand new EGR valve, Particulate filter, catalytic converter, etc. to get back some waisted money...

It couldnt get 15% less fuel mileage, because for it to be able to be sold, it has to get 22MPG highway for 2007 epa regs

Old 05-07-2006, 12:23 AM
Gunner15a
Elder User
Originally Posted by parkland
This flamethrower in the exhaust pipe idea is almost the same as the concept they use on gas engines, by wich the exhaust valve opens early (before bdc) to release the still burning mix to heat the exhaust manifolds to burn off any unburned fuel.

Or at least thats what i was told how it works...

I wonder how much you could sell a brand new EGR valve, Particulate filter, catalytic converter, etc. to get back some waisted money...

It couldnt get 15% less fuel mileage, because for it to be able to be sold, it has to get 22MPG highway for 2007 epa regs
I think you guys are missing the point here. The point it that the government is trying to get everybody to drive gassers (takeing away the incentinve to drive diesels by artificially lowering mileage). The price of diesel goes down, because the demand goes down. Who benefits? The trucking industry, because the cost of their fuel will drop with demand.

Good for the economy, bad for us. Next step. Make the mileage restrictions on gasser trucks so unrealistic that nobody builds them anymore.

Your tax dollars in action, folks.........

Gunner15a

Old 05-07-2006, 10:07 AM
captain p4
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the exhaust vavle is opening early does that mean it is losing power too?

Old 05-07-2006, 03:10 PM
magnum300
Senior User
don't think flamethrower, how about an afterburner to really get you off the line

Old 05-07-2006, 06:20 PM
Gunner15a
Elder User
Originally Posted by magnum300
don't think flamethrower, how about an afterburner to really get you off the line
Hmmm. Set it up on the exhaust side, before it reaches the turbocharger. Need some more boost, light it off and see that turbo wind up like a three dollar pocket watch................

Turbo lag would be a thing of the past, thats for sure
Gunner

Quick Reply: Details on '08 model year diesel changes