Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Finishing weekend mods - CCV O-Rings??

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 12:47 PM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Finishing weekend mods - CCV O-Rings??

Well, this weekend I installed a boost regulator from ITP for the map sensor, a new boost T from ITP to replace the little plastic one that came with my gauges, an ATS ported compressor housing, and a Banks Big Head wastegate actuator.

I was starting to put the intake hoses back on and decided right then looking at that stupid CCV return that I was going to do the CCV mod. I took the doghouse off to reverse it and the o-rings between it and the valve cover were all swolen and stretched, and would just not fit back into their spots. I want to put it back right so it seals properly.

I can't find any info on what types of O-Rings to use as replacements. Anyone know a brand or part number that I can find at a place like Ace Hardware? If all else fails I guess I'll try the Ford Dealer... just would rather not. Already have my long clear hose, coupler for between the CCV breather's 90* piece and the hose, clamps... good to go except for those o-rings!

Old 05-01-2006, 04:45 PM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
Going to the hardware store in like two hours... JT, guzzle, nut, Kris, Dan, Scott... anyone else I've forgotten.

Old 05-01-2006, 04:56 PM
Betthebux
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 05-01-2006, 05:22 PM
Corner Gas
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Ryan my o rings were in the same shape as yours so I just used round o rings. I cant imagine why they won't work, just making a seal

Old 05-01-2006, 05:26 PM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
Thank you both. Now why couldn't I find the thread Betthebux posted when I searched? I remembered reading that the Ford ones swelled but wasn't sure if I needed to find ones that were beveled like the Ford ones.

I'll just grab some good old round ones from the hardware store, thanks guys!

Old 05-01-2006, 06:26 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't even bother replacing mine. Maybe I should have - since they were pretty thrashed. But, no leaks as of yet (fingers crossed). If they do leak, generic round ones from the hardware store will be going in there. Since they don't really see any pressure, it won't matter if you switch to the round ones.

Edit - nice work on the rest of your weekend installs. Sounds like a productive weekend!! How you like them new toys?

Last edited by jtharvey; 05-01-2006 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:47 PM
guzzle92
Posting Guru
Same here, just used the old ones. Like JT said, no pressure here so it wasn't too critical and I don't have any leaks around the doghouse either.

Old 05-01-2006, 10:58 PM
k2vailkid
Senior User
I replaced my O-rings with round hydraulic o-rings. Got lucky as my pops and his buddy have a tractor and a bobcat they work with frequently, they had an o-ring kit. Can't remember the diameter and thickness off hand, but no leaks 20K later....

Old 05-02-2006, 05:33 AM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
Hey Fellas,

Yeah, JT I was planning to just reuse them, but when I pulled the doghouse off I saw the o-rings and they were stretched WAY out... neither would possibly fit back where they belonged, and one was almost an inch too big in circumfrence. I just got some generic o-rings at Ace, I think they were 1/8" thickness and whatever diameter (took the doghouse in with me and got the ones that fit best).

I finished up the CCV using some hose clamps and a barbed coupler, and ran the clear tubing back along the frame to just behind the bumper. If I start seeing any problems with oil collecting in the low spot I guess I'll add a T for a drain or maybe even a filter setup of some sort... we'll see. Just had a light misty vapor when running the engine today.... smelly stuff, too - sort of like stinky oil, I guess.

I got the ATS housing on, Banks Big Head, ITP boost regulator, and a new ITP Tee for the Map line for my boost gauge. That e-clip on the wastegate was tough... rigged up a vice grip with a sharply bent small nail to pull it off... used a new clip from Napa that I can take on and off with my finger tips.

I went for a test drive tonight and I LOVE this setup. (I also removed the foil stuff from the intercooler tube, looks great now.) The boost comes on FAST and strong. Getting on the freeway hard the first time, boost got up to 28 pounds. Before the highest I had seen was 21 (I have the SCMT... not really sure what setting it's on right now). It seems to pull hard all through the powerband now... more steady, I guess. Just feels much better. I can't wait to do the BTS valve body and get it shifting well. Oh, and without that intercooler wrap, I noticed a huge increase in turbo sound from the engine compartment... it's constant and very noticeable, and I love it. It also seems that the turbo note in the exhaust is louder and more piercing than before. I think the ATS had the effect on the exhaust sound, and the IC tube had the effect on the engine compartment turbo noise. Oh, one more observation... the whoooossshh that used to be there from the 46637 filter on shifts (mainly into 3rd and OD) is practiaclly gone... just the slightest of sighs from the intake on shifts now. I am VERY pleased with these new mods... recommend them to anyone.

Also gotta mention that Dennis from ITP was extremely helpful to me... he's a great guy, nice to chat with, helpful, and just great to do business with. I'd recommend him to anyone.

PS - I hope my post was somewhat coherent... it's like 3am and this is about the 3rd time I've typed all this up now.

PPS - I'll take some pics tomorrow when it's daylight and post again in this thread so folks can see them, if they'd like.

Old 05-02-2006, 09:30 AM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It all made sense Ryan. Glad to hear you are pleased with the results.

Old 05-03-2006, 12:54 AM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
Thanks, JT.

Here are my webshots albums:
http://community.webshots.com/user/ryaneverk2

The pics of the new mods (ATS housing, Big Head, boost regulator and Tee, CCV) are in the Performance Mods album, and the I.C. pipe w/out foil is in the Other Mods section.