How to increase fuel mileage on 7.3L?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 07:46 PM
s10dreamer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to increase fuel mileage on 7.3L?

<!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->

Hey I'm new to this site. Alright here is what I need to know, My brother has a 2000 F350 dualy 4x4 (with a locking diff and locking hubs in the front). It has the 7.3L diesel in it, he wants to get a chip or programmer for it so he can get better fuel mileage. The truck is stock right now.He doesn't want to hotrod the truck and race anyone is it a work truck. He will have to tow a small fork lift with his truck and it will be loaded most of the time with bee hives (no box on it). I'm into high performance engines not diesel perfromance so I lack some knowledge in the field of diesel performance. I've heard of some diesel performance companies like Banks, Bully Dog, Superchips etc. A link to a certain site that shows the part would be great.
Any help would be great as wells as tips to increase diesel fuel mileage. Thanks

Would it hurt his truck to if he went in a truck pull competion?

Old 04-28-2006, 09:01 PM
Medic 66
Posting Guru
I personally would worry about a pulling competition with a stock tranny and all BUT I can not advise on the other. I would like to hear the answer to the first part of your question.

Old 04-28-2006, 09:04 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by s10dreamer
<!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->

Hey I'm new to this site. Alright here is what I need to know, My brother has a 2000 F350 dualy 4x4 (with a locking diff and locking hubs in the front). It has the 7.3L diesel in it, he wants to get a chip or programmer for it so he can get better fuel mileage. The truck is stock right now.He doesn't want to hotrod the truck and race anyone is it a work truck. He will have to tow a small fork lift with his truck and it will be loaded most of the time with bee hives (no box on it). I'm into high performance engines not diesel perfromance so I lack some knowledge in the field of diesel performance. I've heard of some diesel performance companies like Banks, Bully Dog, Superchips etc. A link to a certain site that shows the part would be great.
Any help would be great as wells as tips to increase diesel fuel mileage. Thanks

Would it hurt his truck to if he went in a truck pull competion?
Welcome to FTE! Lots of good info for the taking on your PSD here!
I recommend talking to Jody Tipton at www.dp-tuner.com for your tuning needs. His 80hp econo tune helps mileage. Just make sure u have some gauges to monitor the engine. EGT minimum with tranny and boost very helpful...get those FIRST. Very important when adding power. Open up the exhaust and get rid of the stock intake box too. Lots of choices on these mods. Look around,,,ask.
Nut

Old 04-28-2006, 09:11 PM
Pony Power
Senior User
Keep the tire pressure up, keep the RPM'S under 2,000. Never drive it like you stole it.
But then what fun is that?

Old 04-28-2006, 09:15 PM
s10dreamer
New User
The truck is a six speed if that helps. Also i'm in Ontario, Canada. The pull is my idea not his so i don't think he will do it.

Old 04-28-2006, 09:19 PM
GeoffNJ
Elder User
Welcome to FTE!

First, the dually has a lower geared rear (4.10) and mileage isn't as good as a SRW.

The first way to keep the mileage up is to keep the engine below 2000 RPM's. That's the magic number for the 7.3's. Don't get your foot into it when you don't have to and keep the tires inflated. Typical advise on any vehicle.

There are a number of options for chips. Before chips he should get some gauges so he can see what the truck is doing. Keeping the boost out of the high numbers will save some fuel too. There are some chips that have economy settings. My truck isn't chipped so I can't give you an exact answer. Jody Tipton programs chips that people often talk about. He has a 80hp setting that I've heard is pretty good.

There are a few cheap modifications that together can really help. (do a search on the main 7.3 page) or look in the sticky thread for mods.

"Kwik Mod" or NAPA 6637 filter www.fleetfilter.com will give the truck more air and a slight increase.

"CCV mod" Removing the oily crank case vent from the intake.

"AIH delete" Removes the air intake heater from the intake.

Bigger exhaust systems; muffler delete pipe, 4" system, 5" system (cannon) will help thetruck get rid of heat which will help too.

As far as pulling competetively, you could post that question in a new thread and see what they say. There is a member who does it but, he's got a helluva truck. If it's a work truck, I wouldn't chance it. These are brutally strong trucks but not indestructable.

I hope this helps and I'm sure there will be more answers to your questions. Ask away...

Old 04-29-2006, 12:26 AM
Hotwheelbill
Elder User
Everything that has been said!!!! I would like to add that I have had good luck and milage increase with a diesel fuel additive. There may be several out there, but I use Kleen that I can get from Wally World. I have not done any fuel mods yet, but you may want to look at the mods to stop air in the fuel lines and rails.
Last, check out some info on CPS.

Old 04-29-2006, 11:59 AM
Medic 66
Posting Guru
Yeah their seems to be some debate on blue or black CPS's and mileage, performance, etc. Have you checked out TDS?

Old 04-29-2006, 09:56 PM
BuickTurbo
Elder User
Kill the engine on the downhills...

Old 04-30-2006, 04:24 AM
GeoffNJ
Elder User
Originally Posted by BuickTurbo
Kill the engine on the downhills...
Hill? What's a hill? I live on the Jersey coast!

Old 04-30-2006, 08:42 AM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Here is a link to a white paper by Cummins on the topic:

http://www.streamload.com/nlemerise/Ford/MPG_Secrets_Whitepaper.pdf

I have a Jody Tipton 40hp econo-tow pcm reflash and it definitely improved my fuel mileage.

Last edited by nlemerise; 04-30-2006 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:37 AM
Lushman
Elder User
Originally Posted by nlemerise
Here is a link to a white paper by Cummins on the topic:

http://www.streamload.com/nlemerise/Ford/MPG_Secrets_Whitepaper.pdf

I have a Jody Tipton 40hp econo-tow pcm reflash and it definitely improved my fuel mileage.
Doesn't International publish one of these white papers as Cummins is like a four letter word around here!

Old 04-30-2006, 08:54 PM
s10dreamer
New User
Ok if my brother used this programmer http://www.superchips.com/product.ph...k=1090&msg=%2B how much would is fuel mileage increase? Also would he need to install any extra guages if so what kind?

Old 05-01-2006, 12:27 AM
arninetyes
Posting Guru
I have to add a couple of comments about fuel mileage improvement -

First, if my truck got 1mpg better for each mod that people claimed 2 or 3 mpg improvement, my truck would be getting about 33mpg by now. Obviously, it doesn't.

Second, only one thing I did made a big, immmediately measurable difference - a bed cover. AND - it only improved highway mileage. AND - according to a university aerodynamics study, a bed cover makes a good improvement with an 8-foot bed, much less improvement with a 6-foot bed, and no improvement with the little shorty beds you see on fashion pickup trucks.

Third, nothing is more important than how your drive it. When accelerating, keep the revs at or below 2000 - unless you need to rev for power, like pulling a trailer, and accelerate smoothly. The farther down you push the throttle, the more fuel is pumped into the engine. When cruising on the highway, keep your speed down. With barn-door aerodynamics, the faster you go, the more fuel it takes. If I cruise at a steady 65mph, I can get well over 20mpg.

Finally, you'll find that you sneak up on your mileage improvements rather than get a good jump all at once.

Old 05-01-2006, 12:45 AM
Torque Junkie
New User
Anyone have some solid numbers as to how much increase you saw with a tuner/chip? What about exhaust, intake, etc? What average did you get completely stock?

Quick Reply: How to increase fuel mileage on 7.3L?