Sponsored by: DP Tuner

new gauges need interpretation of numbers i am getting

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 08:36 PM
honeyb
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new gauges need interpretation of numbers i am getting

ok have a 01 with 280,000 miles,4dr 4wd dually, stock exhaust but no muffler, 60 hp tow safe setting on superchip

i am pulling a 30ft gooseneck horse trailer that i believe weighs about 14000 empty, the whole rig weighs 19,800???? so i am guessing at the trailer weight, if someone knows how much my truck weighs i would love to know

runs awesome no problems i know of, i really keep it in good shape

just had vdo gauges put on it, here is what i am getting off them

this is in pretty flat land/slight grades on the highway in tucson, az - it is 73 degrees here by my truck temp on the upper console

ok at 80mph
exhaust (after turbo)750-800
tranny 175
boost 12-14 psi
water temp 200
tach is running 2600-2700

ok at 70mph
exhaust 650-675
tranny 175
boost 7-8 psi
water temp 200
tach 2100-2200

ok my mechanic thought i should be running 20psi boost going down the hwy?????

i was unhooked a couple of days ago and punched it in town and am pretty sure i hit 20 psi but i only did it once, so i am worried about my turbo numbers, i did get on and off the interstate a couple of times and the highest i could get the boost with the trailer is 18????? that is getting on it maybe not all the way to the floor but probably pretty close

how do all those numbers compare to everyone else? and does that seem weak for the turbo?

thanks for your time as always!

Old 04-28-2006, 08:53 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by honeyb
ok have a 01 with 280,000 miles,4dr 4wd dually, stock exhaust but no muffler, 60 hp tow safe setting on superchip

i am pulling a 30ft gooseneck horse trailer that i believe weighs about 14000 empty, the whole rig weighs 19,800???? so i am guessing at the trailer weight, if someone knows how much my truck weighs i would love to know

runs awesome no problems i know of, i really keep it in good shape

just had vdo gauges put on it, here is what i am getting off them

this is in pretty flat land/slight grades on the highway in tucson, az - it is 73 degrees here by my truck temp on the upper console

ok at 80mph
exhaust (after turbo)750-800
tranny 175
boost 12-14 psi
water temp 200
tach is running 2600-2700

ok at 70mph
exhaust 650-675
tranny 175
boost 7-8 psi
water temp 200
tach 2100-2200

ok my mechanic thought i should be running 20psi boost going down the hwy?????

i was unhooked a couple of days ago and punched it in town and am pretty sure i hit 20 psi but i only did it once, so i am worried about my turbo numbers, i did get on and off the interstate a couple of times and the highest i could get the boost with the trailer is 18????? that is getting on it maybe not all the way to the floor but probably pretty close

how do all those numbers compare to everyone else? and does that seem weak for the turbo?

thanks for your time as always!
those numbers look pretty good. With the tuner your going to need a MAP line relief valve or regulator to fool the MAP so it doesn't open the wastegate on the turbo. U can get more boost by disconnecting the redline to the wastegate cannister and connecting it out of the way on some bolt/screw end. Checking all the boots and cleaning the oil out from the CCV venting into the tubes will help guard against boost leaks and a boot blowing off.
Nut

Old 04-28-2006, 08:58 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
Get a relief valve here.

Old 04-28-2006, 09:03 PM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Numbers look good to me, too.

I'd recommend moving the thermocouple location for your pyro to a preturbo location, though. That way you're getting an indication of temps in the cylinders, rather than temps at the turbo (engine will be damaged at lower temps than the turbo will).

Old 04-28-2006, 10:37 PM
honeyb
Senior User
ok do i need more boost? or is that normal? is it normal for me to loose boost with the trailer on? and do i run much risk of damaging anything if i do the relief valve? my power in the flats is fine but i would not mind having more hill power when towing

Old 04-28-2006, 11:53 PM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by honeyb
ok do i need more boost? or is that normal? is it normal for me to loose boost with the trailer on? and do i run much risk of damaging anything if i do the relief valve? my power in the flats is fine but i would not mind having more hill power when towing
Your boost numbers are normal for your setup. I run 3-9 psi unloaded on the highway. If you were running 20 psi as you mechanic suggested, you'd be using a bunch of fuel! I can get up around 24 when I really put my foot in it. Before I got my chip I could only get to about 18, 25 or so with wastegate disconnected. I reconnected wastegate when I got the chip as I didn't want to damage the turbo.

Old 04-29-2006, 02:55 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
I reconnected my wastegate as well. No loss of power whatsoever, and the engine more freely revs up above 2500 RPM as well.

Old 04-29-2006, 05:08 AM
blueeyes2478
Elder User
Your number look good.When im pulling a hill unload,i can hit 11 to13 psi of boost.(this in cruse control)
On flat roads i can see as little as 3 to 5 pounds of boost.
When i floor it i see 25 to 28 pounds of boost.But thats chiped.

Old 04-29-2006, 10:15 AM
Thumper4995
Senior User
This thread has generated some old questions for me

I have my boost gauge connected to the Map sensor line. My boost never exceeds 18-19psi. Since I have Diablo Predator tuner, I figured I would get more. I have used the econo tune and the tow tune and they have the same result in terms of boost. With that being said, if I really pour the coals to it I receive the SES light (~ when I hit the 18-19 psi mark) until I back off the throttle.

So...
1. Is the Map sensor line providing a boost reading that is less than what is actually being generated, thus triggering an overboost alarm?
2. Should I see higher boost readings in lieu of having the Predator tuner? I have checked all IC and intake clamps and they are tight.
3. I have removed my intake and inspected my compressor wheel and it is dinged up (I posted a pic in my gallery). The local Ford dealer tested it for me (or at least said they did) and said it was "in spec." Could this be the cause of low boost? Should I have the wheel replaced?

Any input would be appreciated...

Last edited by Thumper4995; 04-29-2006 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-29-2006, 04:59 PM
honeyb
Senior User
ok i looked at the valve mod, looks like even i can do that one, on my truck i have an air line that is right where the valve should go, guess this is the boost gauge line? so would i put it before or after , better say driver or passenger side of the air line since i don't know much about where everything is in there, i freely admit that i do nothing to this truck, i pay the mechanic to do everything, i don't mind working on my old 85 with a 460 in it but i am not messing up a 6500 motor!

can someone explain how i can up my boost on my turbo but drop my egt's, etc like that website says, i thought the higher my boost the more power i am making and harder on the engine??

also i put it to the floor today (loaded with the trailer) and the highest i can get boost is 16-16.5, it was still slowly climbing as i got to 90mph but i just do not have anymore with the trailer on it, i may drop teh trailer tonight and run it to see how high it will go
and i AM running a 60 hp( or the tow safe setting) superchip, is that not enought hp to count?

again thanks for your time!