A visit with Kent Fuller/Jag IFS installation - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

A visit with Kent Fuller/Jag IFS installation

Old 04-23-2006, 09:53 PM
49willard
Postmaster
49willard has a great reputation on FTE.49willard has a great reputation on FTE.49willard has a great reputation on FTE.49willard has a great reputation on FTE.49willard has a great reputation on FTE.
A visit with Kent Fuller/Jag IFS installation

I had the opportunity to spent about 6 hours with Kent Fuller last week. He is quite a guy. Some of you may remember Ron Bishop talking about Kent on an old thread. I went to see Kent since in the past he has installed a number of Jag XJ front and rear ends under our truck chassis. If any of you have thought about it and tried to find someone in the US that has done it, it is difficult to find guys that have done it. As some of you know and can see in my Gallery, I am in the process of doing the IFS installation.
Kent is especially well known for dragster chassis building in the late 50's and 60's. He built 100's of drag chassis for west coast drag racing including for well known racers such as Ivo and Prudholme. Do a google search on Kent Fuller to get some backround. His current projects include a streamliner for himself that he is building to run on the salt with a blown flathead for power. It is about 3 wide and 27 feet long. The driver lays on his back with only a slit to see through looking up thru a prism. It is wild. For those of you that saw the film the Worlds Fastest Indian, there are some common threads that Kent has with the Kiwi portrayed in the movie. In fact Kent knew him from the 60's and was at Bonnevile during the more recent filming that took place .
I did take pictures of my progress on the Jag install and how I am installing the Jag IFS and got his review. I got a thumbs up from Kent on my installation which felt good. I did talk to Kent about my two ujoint steering setup (see my gallery) with a soft mount installation of the front crossmember. I am going to change it slightly and install the original Jag Z joint at the rack to account for any motion of the crossmember relative to the steering column. Kent did indicate that you can get some feedback on a hard bump if the crossmember is soft mounted without the original Jag Z joint. .

Last edited by 49willard; 04-23-2006 at 09:57 PM.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:13 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster
Randy Jack has a good reputation on FTE.Randy Jack has a good reputation on FTE.
Very good info, Bill. You're going to wind up being our resident Guru on Jag installs. Sounds like it was a great time.

Old 04-23-2006, 11:56 PM
AZAV8
Senior User
AZAV8 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.AZAV8 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
If you see Mr. Fuller again, tell him to stay away from the looking through a prism or periscope on a Bonneville streamliner. It won't work because every bump causes the driver and the prism to bounce around and the driver just sees a blur. Its been tried before and the team ended up taking it out and the driver ended up sitting up looking over the top of the body. I'm surprised Mr. Fuller (who has been around forever) doesn't remember this one. I think it was an early Dave Campos bike streamliner. But don't trust my over 40 memory. I've followed Bonneville since the 60's and have seen and read about some pretty weird stuff.

You're right though, Mr. Fuller does know his chassis fabrication stuff.

Phil

Old 04-24-2006, 12:50 AM
rhopper
Posting Guru
rhopper has a good reputation on FTE.rhopper has a good reputation on FTE.
Bill, I brought my Jag front end home last weekend, from an 84 xj6, $200.00. I asked them to keep everything to make my swap easier. They just cut most of the front of the car out, frame either side, inner fenders etc. We removed what we didn't want, and we have a complete front end, including power steering pump and z joint. Interesting what you said about the steering, I'd like to see what you're going to do before I buy a steering column and joints as I plan to soft mount mine as well.-Rusty

Old 04-24-2006, 07:40 AM
49willard
Postmaster
49willard has a great reputation on FTE.49willard has a great reputation on FTE.49willard has a great reputation on FTE.49willard has a great reputation on FTE.49willard has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by rhopper
Bill, I brought my Jag front end home last weekend, from an 84 xj6, $200.00. I asked them to keep everything to make my swap easier. They just cut most of the front of the car out, frame either side, inner fenders etc. We removed what we didn't want, and we have a complete front end, including power steering pump and z joint. Interesting what you said about the steering, I'd like to see what you're going to do before I buy a steering column and joints as I plan to soft mount mine as well.-Rusty
Rusty, I have a Z joint (with a longer upper shaft than mine) coming to me from a fellow rodder in England. I am running a modified 76 T Bird column which has the PRNDL on the column. (no real reason other than it was almost free). Looking at my gallery I plan to remove and return the lower u joint to Borgeson cut the shaft about at the midpoint and splice the slightly smaller diameter jag shaft on the Z joint to the cut new shaft with a coupling all machined and TIGed together. Where I cut it will be determined by fitup around the exhaust manifold/headers.
On another note, I decided that I would go the distance and replace all bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends, rotors and shocks. My total outlay will be about $600 in the end, however I did not pay list for anything. The reason that I decided to do it is that I did not have any history (mileage) on the front end when I bought it years ago and my gearhead son was beating on me to "do it right Dad". I got all good stuff including new Koni's for front shocks.

Last edited by 49willard; 04-24-2006 at 07:47 AM.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:29 AM
rhopper
Posting Guru
rhopper has a good reputation on FTE.rhopper has a good reputation on FTE.
Bill, I have the complete steering shaft with z joint from the donor car. The z joint seems to be more for allowing movement of the subframe and rack than performing like a normal u joint. If I remember from the donor car, the steering shaft comes straight off the rack with no angle in the z joint, all the angle is in the normal u joint at the bottom of the column. If it wasn't for allowing for subframe movement, the jag setup could almost use just the one u joint on the bottom of the column. Since the Jag column comes through the firewall, and ours comes through the floor, there will be angles at both joints in our trucks. I don't know if the z joint is designed for that type of use. I emailed Borgeson tonight with our situation, maybe they've got a solution. This reminds me of the thread a few months back about the rack and pinion kit for solid axles, how to allow for rack movement without feedback to the wheel. -Rusty

Old 04-25-2006, 08:24 AM
49willard
Postmaster
Rusty, I do not think that the Z joint will be a problem. The joint has the same freedoms of motion as a u joint with the addition of the " in and out" motion. Also my current setup (no Z jointin the pix in my gallery) has the lower joint coming off the rack fairly close to straight on. Note that I am running an AOD and I have the bottom of the column on my F-1 pentrating the floor in the upper left corner of the original opening. I just made a new screw in plate for the relocated column position. I will be interested to hear what Borgeson has to say. I called the tech line a while ago and did not get much. They do not make/sell a Z joint.

Last edited by 49willard; 04-25-2006 at 08:27 AM.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:18 PM
49willard
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Randy Jack
Very good info, Bill. You're going to wind up being our resident Guru on Jag installs. Sounds like it was a great time.
RJ, I am afraid that doing one Jag XJ install (not yet complete) does not allow one to be considered in the garu status! We all need to learn together. I really believe the that Jag IFS is an interesting alternative to the M11. It sure is an easy installation particularly in the slightly narrower F-1 frame rails. Hopefully we will get a few of us out there running the Jag and can get info back to the forum.