1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Why Do You Like Your '48-'60 Truck?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 11:34 AM
48fordjeffie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Why Do You Like Your '48-'60 truck?

I wish I had some history with my F1 like Bob does.
I photographed a friends 50 F1 about fifteen years ago at a car show. I made a couple 5x7's of the grill and hood. I guess it grew on me.
My dad bought a 35 Ford 5w coupe around 1988. He had it until about five years ago. He got sick with Liver Cancer and asked me if I wanted it and I was not at the time. A high school classmate of his came out from Tacoma, Washington to see him and dad asked him to buy it. He did and took it out with a rental truck and is in the process of restoring it right now. I plan on seeing it again sometime . I have good memories and pictures of my son as a baby sitting in it.
I told my dad I was going to buy a 48-50 F1 pickup before he died. He said be smart with the money son.
I found my F1 in Hemmings web site classified ads. I met the seller at Spring Carlisle, and trailered it home.
I love the lines on the truck, the fenders, the big steering wheel, how much force it takes to turn the thing, and the sound of a Merc Flattie with Duels.
I love taking my kids to get ice cream and all the people looking at me thinking why would anyone want to drive that piece of S___!!!
As far as modifications, I'm kind of modifying my F1 in reverse. I found original 16" rims, original style mirrors,new seat cover, brakes, carb rebuilt etc. The last owner was a truck driver, and before him the guy that owned it was in jail. I guess it has history with other people and now me.
While I am at work I look at F1 pictures. I have the disease, but don't want the cure...
Jeff

Last edited by 48fordjeffie; 04-23-2006 at 11:35 AM. Reason: paragraph restructure
Old 04-23-2006, 01:23 PM
dixiefried
Junior User
I love ford pick-ups because of most reasons above,also because of the way that grill looks in someones rear view mirror and the look of disbelief as a truck of around 50 years older than their mundane car roars past them and when they try to keep up you mash the throttle aaaaah,any mine is a 57 big window styleside,oh yeah its fun over here as there are even fewer on the road in england.
gary

Old 04-23-2006, 01:27 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like my 55 F100 because it's one year younger than me.

It's a Ford truck, a classic Ford truck.

Nice round lines.

Easy to work on (no dam computers).

It has style.

All of the older Ford trucks have style.

Nuf said.

Old 04-23-2006, 01:42 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
Guys,

If you're going to talk about your trucks post some pictures in your gallery.

We would like to see what you find so interesting about your trucks.

Old 04-23-2006, 01:48 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In my case, I have to get the scanner working.

Old 04-23-2006, 01:53 PM
dixiefried
Junior User
I have mine in the main gallrry under dixiefried

Old 04-23-2006, 05:49 PM
OilLeaks
Senior User
Lots of reasons but the main thing is that it's a piece of American history. I was into MGs (SCCA racing with "spridgets"...still do that once in awhile) but they never had the charm of the big truck. Went to a local car show about 4 years ago and fell in love with a phat fendered 50-ish truck (a Dodge I think) and decided I needed to have one. I always liked the look of the Ford Bonus Built series and when I found the 51 in nearly original condition with flathead V-8 I was hooked. I'm the third owner...guy I bought it from drove it for 20 years and then only drove it around his yard for two more before I got it. Before him it was bought new by a friend of his Dad's who used it in orange groves in central Florida. I drove it home (not the smartest thing I've ever done) and I now know why it was taken off the road...slowly but surely I'm finding just about everypart of the running gear was worn out. That's okay...I'll know it's all good when I get it back on the road. I'm keeping the flathead but putting a T5 gearbox behind it and installing a few other modern touches (brakes for one) to improve reliability and ride. It will be mostly stock with modified running gear (I'm a "graysider" I guess...old spring rate was like a buildings) and the body will remain uncut and basically stock. I plan to use it and also take it to the local car shows and cruises. I don't ever see it being a show winner but I hope to have it nice enough to enjoy on the weekends and earn a little respect from the local crew.

OilLeaks

Old 04-23-2006, 06:44 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The '57-'60, Orphan Years Trucks are by far & above the Best Looking & Design of Any of those years you mentioned.

Old 04-23-2006, 06:59 PM
AK Fifty-Three
Senior User
I'm a relatively new Effie enthusiast. I had a '51 Ch**y 1/2 ton while going to college in MT, and had a great time with it. I guess you could say I had a "midlife crisis" this past fall, and I began searching for another one (I had traded the '51 Ch**y for a custom paint job on an El Camino I also had back in college). I searched high and low for an old pickup, and the Fords started to grow on me. I really like the look of the fat fendered Fords. The Ford body lines are much better looking than the other brands of that era (especially Dodges, in my opinion). The Fords also seem to be more rare than the Ch**ys as well. Already having 2 other Ford vehicles in the stable seemed like a good reason to add a third. I'm really happy with my choice. Finally, the friendly and helpful folks on this forum top those on any other classic truck forum, I'm sure!

Old 04-23-2006, 07:26 PM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NO SMOG GARBAGE - NO EFI CRAP - JUST PLAIN SIMPLE FUN

Rod 51F1

Old 04-23-2006, 07:51 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here, Here, another of the same mind & if neccessary, you can set under the hood in the rain & not really get wet if you need to fix something w/ no extra garbage to get in the way.

Old 04-23-2006, 08:40 PM
jgurland
Senior User
I'm another one of those guys with the "my dad and I" story. I bought my truck when I was 17 because I was looking for something to fix up as a daily driver. My dad and I never got along, but something about this project brought us together and we worked as a real team for the first time. Once we got started, I didn't want to stop working on it because I valued the time with him so much - I drove it for the first time 10 years later when I was 27.

Dad was in the construction business and as long as I can remember he always had green Ford trucks in his fleet. So naturally I was a Ford guy and had to have a truck like him, and as luck would have it the one I bought was originally green. I think the thing that draws me to these trucks is that they come from a time when it seems life was a lot simpler. These trucks are the last vestige of that time when even cars were simple enough for the average guy to work on them.

Add all that to the fat fenders and good looks and, well, the rest is obvious.

Old 04-23-2006, 08:44 PM
enoree
Freshman User
I just like old vehicles of all makes. I had no intention of buying my F3. Just happened to be browsing on Ebay one night and came across this truck. It caught my eye because i used to own one almost like it back in the 60s. Nostalgia set in and i hit the buy now button. The other one that i owned back then seemed to be the one that always saved the day. I used it with a dead battery for over a year when times were realy tough. Always parked on a slight grade so i could let it drift a little and just pop the clutch. These old trucks have a lot of character. I may never get to the point where i can get this truck on the road but even if i dont, i get a good feeling looking at it setting out there. I get a lot of comments on it. If i ever get the chance, i'd like to find a 1937 (Year i was born). Just dreaming.

Old 04-23-2006, 09:36 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've always been involved in cars or motorcycles. I use to build custom Harley bikes until most of my friends were dying in traffic accidents. Being married and have two boys, I decided I better sell the bike and do something else. My favorite car is the 1941 ******. After that is the 56 Ford F100 which I own. I would have to say the best feature is the grill and fenders. It has a distinct look. I always loved the looked of lowered trucks with the meg horsepower engines. My wifes father owned a 56 F100 when she was growing up, so it also has meaning for her. One the nice things on the trucks is simplicity. It's easy to work on. No computers, No spagetti wiring to deal with. As for modifications on my truck. I'd have to say everything I done on it, because I've done all the work myself. If I had to pinpoint it. I'd say disc brake conversion with new lines, lowering it. Best thing I enjoy, is driving it and getting the thumbs up!!

Old 04-23-2006, 09:54 PM
fiftyfourdf100
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 53fatfndr
Well, I think we could get a good thread rolling here. I'm curious as to what you guys like best about our older trucks. What interests you in these old trucks? What is your most favorite modification you have done?

So, what do you guys like?
I love the 48-52, and the 53-56 purely for the fact that they look killer no matter what you do to them. I've seen them lifted, I've seen them dropped, and they look good either way. I like them better lowered like I did on my 54, but if its custom its alright in my book. My favorite modification is what I did to my driprail on my truck, shaved it, but left it...kinda hard to explain. I also like my MII front IFS and my 9" Ford...but just about any mod. to these trucks is cool. Just my own opinion though...love to see what ya'll have to say too.

Tucker
54 Ford F100 street rod
351W/AOD/9"

Quick Reply: Why Do You Like Your '48-'60 Truck?