Notices

their shiny.. but still dirty

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 12:23 PM
nouseforaname836
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
their shiny.. but still dirty

ok i bought some mothers metal polish yesterday and polished up my chrome tailpipes ( dual flowmasters ) and they are nice and shiny .. but they still have all kinds of crap stuck to them , is there anything i can use/buy to get the crap off so that they'll be clean and shiny? thanks guys

Old 04-22-2006, 01:38 PM
Josh88Ford
Elder User
I use simple green for mine. You have to let it soak for a while. Use a toothbrush to do the scrubbing. Takes a lot of scrubbing, and a few times of spray, scrub. The bigger ones you can pick with your fingernail...

Old 04-25-2006, 02:51 PM
skrappy
Senior User
use corn starch...dump some on a rag and rub it on there, then clean it off with a different rag...it'll take the dirt out of the pits

Old 05-01-2006, 08:59 PM
wickymustang
Posting Guru
I have used toothpaste with a soft rag and rubbed for a while to get most of this out, followed by a good rubbing of chrome polish. If this doesn't work take a green scotch pad (the finest "grit") and gently scrub this stuff out. Then polish with chrome polish and keep on top of it. Once you get them looking like new it is better to polish often to prevent the build up.

Old 06-13-2006, 02:02 AM
Dr. Detail
Junior User
Hi

Try 3M's 8980 or 8984 Adhesive Remover (Pepboys) or any good Bug & Tar remover.

Thanx for listening

www.drdetailforless.com

Old 06-13-2006, 10:15 AM
squeals99
Junior User
sos pads also work

Old 06-13-2006, 12:02 PM
Dr. Detail
Junior User
Hi "squeals99" and others

Most of the "stuff" that gets on to pipes is road tar, bug juice, etc. You'd like to dissolve this stuff instead of scrape it off. It won't wash off because it's petroleum based or hard-dried on. The 3M 8980 or 8984 material is a mild solvent for that purpose and it's gentle on the paint should it land there.

You can be more aggressive with pipes, obviously, than you can with paint. You could try a metal polish again by dabbing some on the "stuff" and letting it soak a little while, then rubbing it off. Simple Green may work depending on what you're trying to remove. They also make an automotive grade which should work better (and it doesn't kill my lungs like the original does).

Re: the abrasive mentioned. The softest one I read was corn starch. I would rank tooth paste as next more abbrasive. Neither will probably do any harm but I don't think you need to resort to them.

Someone might also have mentioned steel wool. The 000 or 0000 grades are OK. SOS pads are basically steel wool impreganted with soap. The grade of steel wool in SOS pads is pretty coarse and I would recommed against them even if they seem to work. I think you can do better. In any case these will work better without pressing as hard if you heat up the pipes first.

I hope this helps.

www.drdetailforless.com