1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

It's the weekend once again...What are you going to do to your truck?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 03:38 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
It's the weekend once again...What are you going to do to your truck?

Here we go again....

My plans for the weekend?? Satruday morning I'm going to readjust the toe-in on my truck, make a list of spring hanger components I need to get, dig my other set of tires and wheels out of the shed and install them, and then I need to replace the coolant temp switch with a coolant temp sensor to finish of my wiring harness install and make all my guages work.
Hopefully I can get it all done by about midday as there is a good (free) open air car show at a local park that I'm going to go to before heading over to a BBQ at a friends house.
Sunday? well, I'm hoping to finish up what I didn't get to on Saturday and clean up my space in the garage a bit.
I also want to take the truck an a fairly decent drive now that I have lights, turn signlas, gauges, good tires, etc.

I guess it goes without saying that somewhere in there I might sip a frosty cold one (or two)

Here's hoping y'all have a good one
Bobby

Old 04-21-2006, 05:03 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll be polishing and porting my heads and match porting the intake manifold and headers. I picked up the heads and intake Wednesday from the engine builder and want to get them back to him on Monday. I've finished one head and am most of the way thru the second. (Boy, do they look purdy!!!) The intake manifold will be done by Saturday afternoon. Then on to the frosty beverages (with umbrellas, of course.)

I learned how to port heads over 30 years ago and haven't done this kind of work since. Funny how some things just come right back to ya. I'm having some serious fun. I am about a week away from having a balanced. blueprinted, ported and cammed 351C. Burn out contest anyone?

I'll have to wait on cleaning up the garage until I finish this part of the project. If I clean up now, I will never find half my stuff.

Last edited by Randy Jack; 04-21-2006 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:38 PM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Randy Jack

I'll have to wait on cleaning up the garage until I finish this part of the project. If I clean up now, I will never find half my stuff.

Randy, Thats been my excuse for 6 or 7 years!

It sounds like your engine is going to do you proud. It is kind of different for you I imagine, not being able to drive your truck when you want to. How long do you think it will be before your back on the road?

I,m still "road testing" mine, trying to build confidence for longer trips.

Old 04-21-2006, 06:55 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I'm finally moving my stuff around to get started on my project. Gonna be a long year.

Old 04-21-2006, 07:41 PM
jgurland
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I spent a little time in the garage this afternoon (ducked out of work a bit early..shhh). I did some little stuff like installing my grille and front parking lights, replacing all three pedals and installing a new choke cable. Hopefully tomorrow/Sunday I'll find time to mount the bed to the frame, add the tailgate and install the front fenders. If I'm really lucky I'll find time to replace my pinion seal so I can get back on the road.

Old 04-21-2006, 10:05 PM
Troniks
Freshman User
I'm still fitting my front sheatmetal, In fact I know what I will be doing for the next month of weekends!

Old 04-21-2006, 10:46 PM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

Hopefully, we'll get the bed in primer, epoxy and surfacer, so we can start final sanding. Tomorow we take the tailgate to the media blaster, and we may go to the pull a part while we're in town. I want to use a late model winch down spare tire carrier, but the junkyard mostly has only older trucks, so we need to scout alot. Maybe start degreasing the Jag front end that we drug home last week. Plus, take a bike ride, fix the roof, and maybe, relax.

Old 04-21-2006, 11:35 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Wayne -

I really don't know right now how long I can stand not to drive it - especially with the summer coming. But I have to use this chance to do the cab mods. With the engine out of the way, it's too tempting. Do the firewall, fill the cowl vent and shave the drip rail at least. I also have to shave and fill the gravel shield to put the front back together.

I'll have something to add to all the "weekend" threads for a while.

Maybe I'll be back on the road by the end of July...maybe.

Old 04-22-2006, 03:15 AM
Goobzilla
Elder User
Work trumps truck work this weekend. Oh well, parts $$ for disc brake kit. Finally got my gas tank back from the radiator shop. Reassembly of my 9" brakes maybe Tue or Wed.

Old 04-22-2006, 05:09 AM
Fifty F3
Junior User
Talking

Installed a pair of 4 inch speakers in the speaker hole in the dash to go along with the modern radio and the six inchers in the doors. It's the only non stock item on the truck, other than the hydraulic hoist for the dump box that appears to have been installed by the first owner (a granary in Regina). Rewired it and rebuilt the engine over the winter and now I'm gonna drive it, drive it, drive it.

Old 04-22-2006, 06:15 AM
edsf100
Posting Guru
Wow Randy, I'm sure it's going to run bit_hing once you are done. I should pop over and learn a few things, you da man. I'm wanting to pull my 390 out next year for some work. I'm sure that will lead to other work.

I'll be at Bobco's today for the Supertour kick-off party, maybe go home with a few prizes.

Those frosty drinks sound cool.

Old 04-22-2006, 06:21 AM
Huntsman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Waiting on the anti-rattle kits to arrive. This part of the project is one that I have been dreading for a long time considering I have never read a 'happy' post on anyone's installation!

Old 04-22-2006, 07:12 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm in the middle of wiring up my dash instruments and routing headlight, tail and brake light wires. I get my carburetor back from the rebuilder next week and I should be ready to fire up the beast.

Vern

Old 04-22-2006, 07:01 PM
grncoup
Junior User
finished welding and grinding pass. side lower cowl repair. fixed rear of pass. side front fender. don't know what to do on sunday, but i'm sure i'll find something.

Old 04-22-2006, 07:19 PM
F250Rob
Laughing Gas
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm gonna fill it with a bed full of lanscaping soil and haul it home to do projects in the backyard! Got to clear out the honey do list before I can get into the garage...

Last edited by F250Rob; 04-22-2006 at 08:03 PM.