1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Cleaned IPR & now truck lopes bad at idle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 09:33 AM
Oil-Pig
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleaned IPR & now truck lopes bad at idle?

I was having some surging at speed and read that the IPR could be dirty. So I pulled it took it apart and cleaned it. I put it back in and started my truck, she started fine but rattles like I have air in the fuel system. The warmer it gets the louder it gets. It seems to drive ok but the SES light is on and I am pulling codes P1000, P1209, P0603, and P1211. Could it be possible that I messed up when reconnecting the wiring? I removed 4 connectors to prevent the wrench from breaking them one is the solenoid for the IPR but the other 3 are the same except for the colors, I believe they are green white and black. Can someone send me a pic that shows the IPR and the surrounding sensors with the wires attached so I can see what color connectors are supposed to go to what sensor. It would of been alot eaiser to just mark them before pulling them off.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance... Chris

Old 04-21-2006, 10:26 AM
Oil-Pig
Senior User
Its not the wireing I compared to a truck at the dealer and were both the same. The surging was better then hearing this nasty rattle I am afraid to get on it

Old 04-24-2006, 03:59 PM
Oil-Pig
Senior User
I ordered a new IPR and ICP and should have them by Wed. Hopefully this fixes the problem.

Anyone know about bleeding the air out of the HPOP? I read somewhere that your supposed to drive with the OD off at 3200 RPM?? Isn't thier a better way?

Old 04-28-2006, 12:00 PM
Oil-Pig
Senior User
A new IPR and IPS and truck is like new.

Things to look out for are the 2 wires that go into the IPR solenoid plug for some reason the sealant used to hold the wires in the plug body was slimy and the insulation was also swollen like oil got at it or some reaction with the sealant "slime" in the plug housing. If the wires touch she wont run good and will pull all the codes I listed.

Also the new IPS is a redesign with the same part number

I was also able to replace the IPR using a 3/8 swivel head snap-on ratchet with a 3/8 to 1/2 adapter and a 1-1/8 deep craftsman socket.

Old 06-26-2006, 11:26 PM
pwhite144
Freshman User
I'm having some issues that I think may be related to the IPR or IPS and am wondering if your truck was running a little rough (like vibration throughout the throttle range) before changing them out? I'm glad it fixed your problem! It's sure nice when it works.

Old 06-27-2006, 07:23 AM
Oil-Pig
Senior User
When my IPR was bad my engine rocked back and forth a good inch and a half at idle to about 1200 RPM them seemed to smooth out a bit. The thing I noticed most was the rattling the sucker was louder then a cummins. Crack crack crack is what it sounded like Good luck with your problem I found my ips and ipr new in the packages from a guy on ebay for under 100 bucks for both.

Old 06-27-2006, 08:43 AM
pwhite144
Freshman User
That sounds a lot like mine. I thought a rod bearing was going bad from the noise. The vibration is not quite there yet, but it's slowly getting worse.
I think I've seen the guy you're talking about on ebay. Thanks!

Old 07-04-2006, 08:26 PM
shapel
Freshman User
What happens, the ipr pressure is suppose to be about 1700 psi when idling and when the ipr starts to go south, it does not regulate the pressure right anymore, so starts to go up to 3500psi and that makes the engine buck and the injectors over pressure and make a clack clack clack sound. If you keep driving the vehicle, it can make your injectors and HPOP go bad too.