Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Royal Purple Products

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 04:08 PM
wbhinton
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Royal Purple Products

Has anyone run Royal Purple around here? Did you like it?

Is RP really that much better than standard oil (Delo, Rotella)?

I have an oil change coming up soon, ran Delo last time, what should I run this time?

Houston, TX area with summer temps reaching 105+

Old 04-17-2006, 04:21 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by wbhinton
Has anyone run Royal Purple around here? Did you like it?

Is RP really that much better than standard oil (Delo, Rotella)?

I have an oil change coming up soon, ran Delo last time, what should I run this time?

Houston, TX area with summer temps reaching 105+
Stay with the Delo if it runs good. It's one of the best dino oil's out there and backed up by great UOA's.
BTW, i use RP in my front differential...have a friend that owns a performance shop that sells it.
I would also like to add some info i think is great and i quote another forum member on his great post on bypass filtration:
Bypass filtration
"I wanted to say a few words on this subject... I suspect most folks know that bypass filtration systems allow much long service intervals and can significantly reduce wear. But there are other key benefits to this technology....

Bypass filters also keep the oil viscosity from increasing due to oxidation over extended drains, by removing organic insolubles from the oil. In addition, super clean oil has a lower coefficient of friction than dirty oil - this is particularly true for soot laden diesel oil. One of the main and often overlooked benefits of bypass filters is improved fuel efficiency.

Another main benefit of bypass filters is that the increased sump size will reduce your peak oil temps. This is particularly noticable in trucks or SUV's that pull heavy loads, as well as in most commercial applications. Minimizing average oil temps will help to extend the life of all your elastomeric seals and gasket materials and reduced engine temps will make the engine less likely to ping on regular fuel.

Folks are always looking for a better oil, however the ultimate lubrication setup already exists. It's PAO and/or Ester based synthetic, combined with a bypass filter that is effective down to one microns. This combination will provide extremely long and trouble free engine life, as well as hydraulic system life in commercial equipment. Supplimental filtration of automatic transmission fluid - using a small in-line filter - is also very beneficial."<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

Hope this helps.
Nut

Last edited by PSNut; 04-17-2006 at 04:35 PM. Reason: update/add
Old 04-17-2006, 09:21 PM
TXsnyper
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run royal purple and love it. It sure is expensive but should last between 12 and 15k.
I did notice the truck ran smoother, with less kackle, and noticed some more pep to the step (could be in my head though).

My Dad was so convinsed by my royal purple that he now runs it. He is also the kind of guy that doesn't want it if it wasn't stock. (you those type)

I also know some guys running Amsol and they seem to love it also.

Old 04-17-2006, 09:54 PM
John7894
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't know anyone running it in their PSD but I do know some guys who are running it in their 3400 series Caterpillars in their 200' Offshore Supply Boat. Runs clean and hardly any wear. The engine has been down for it's PM's and the Cat mechanics generally put it back together without changing alot of the stuff that normally wears out on a dino lubed engine.

It has also reduced oil consumption down to little to none on another vessel (European engines) they own that used dino oil for years.

I'd say the stuff works.

Old 04-19-2006, 08:25 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by John7894
Don't know anyone running it in their PSD but I do know some guys who are running it in their 3400 series Caterpillars in their 200' Offshore Supply Boat. Runs clean and hardly any wear. The engine has been down for it's PM's and the Cat mechanics generally put it back together without changing alot of the stuff that normally wears out on a dino lubed engine.

It has also reduced oil consumption down to little to none on another vessel (European engines) they own that used dino oil for years.

I'd say the stuff works.
They're probably running bypass filtration
to keep the oil super clean. Makes a huge difference.

Old 04-19-2006, 09:00 PM
John7894
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PSNut
They're probably running bypass filtration
to keep the oil super clean. Makes a huge difference.
Yes they do, BUT they noticed a difference in just switching to RP.

Old 04-20-2006, 12:45 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't run it in my PSD, but I do run RP in the race truck, this is extreme abuse situation and the bearings didn't look to bad this year when I tore it down to freshen the engine, and the rings were still good so left them alone. I also use the RP purple ice for the cooling system but not sure I would run that in a street vehicle, not that it hurts anythi8ng just not sure it works as well with antifreeze, seems to be more effiecent with straight water setup. And I run the RP ATF and I can verify it dropped my tranny temp 10 deg in a typical run. Not sure that is good info or not but from what I see in my situation the stuff does work

Old 05-13-2006, 12:56 PM
aggiect01
Senior User
WBHinton, I also have the same question about Royal Purple in my 05 PSD. I currently use Rotella Dino and I have 62K in 11 months without a single problem. I would like to try royal purple but it cost so much more. I did however find a good shop to do maitainance at. Rainforest Car Wash at 529 and Barker Cypress in Cypress, TX. Trans flush, $89 Differential Change w/RP $50, Coolant flush, $69.

Old 05-13-2006, 01:13 PM
WuShock
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RP is good stuff. Too expensive for me with all the miles I run. I do run it in my race bikes and love it. Check out eBay for RP seen a good deal or two on there before.

Filtering down to 1 micron is not necessary. A human red blood cell is 8 micron. You will actually remove beneficial detergents that the oil manuf has added at that level.

Old 05-13-2006, 01:49 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by WuShock
Filtering down to 1 micron is not necessary. A human red blood cell is 8 micron. You will actually remove beneficial detergents that the oil manuf has added at that level.
Sorry but i have to disagree with you on the filtering. The filtering does NOT remove the beneficial detergents. Doing a Used OIL Analysis will determine much about your oil. There's many folks out there using submicron filters and getting excellent UOA 's and having motors run for many trouble free miles.
There's a lot of misinformation going around about submicron filters out there so beware.
Nut

Old 05-14-2006, 04:11 PM
cangim
Postmaster
I put it in my Rear pumpkin and so far no problems at all. I didn't add any friction modifier either for the LS. What I was shocked by was the fact that it was actually PURPLE. Not that it matters but thought it was pretty cool. Almost make me want one of those clear diff covers just to see the purple stuff in action.