200 MPG carburetors.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 01:15 PM
PChiders
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"It is not the gasoline that is 25 percent efficient, its the the engine itself."

JIMANDMANDY, Thanks! I didn't really think that was accurate, even I should have figured that out!!

Old 05-10-2006, 01:40 PM
aurgathor
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 1969fordguy
uh huh. The rating is nice. However *as recently reported all over the news* these ratings are made in a lab under ideal conditions. Real world numbers are not so good.
People tend to drive fast (faster than the speed limit) and that will decrease mpg. I'm not 100% sure, but the speed limit may still have been 55 at that time. The city number may indeed be high, but I have little doubt that the highway number is achievable on a flat section of a rural highway. In city, the problem is that while waiting at a light people are getting 0 mpg.

Personally, usually I don't even bother to compute my city mpg, the only time I compute it when I take a trip. And sometimes I have gotten slightly better results (18+) than my EPA rating. (12/17)

Old 05-10-2006, 02:38 PM
aurgathor
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by PChiders
It wasn't just the amount of energy per unit of measure, but more importantly the ability to the gasoline to transfer its energy during a burn cycle.
If you burn one unit of gasoline, you will get a same amount of heat, no matter what, and because it happens in the same enclosed place all the time, you'll get the same amount of output all the time.

The only way to get less energy if the burn is incomplete, that is, some fuel goes out unburned. 1% or 2% fuel may go out of unburned, but 50% is simply next to impossible in a functional internal combustion engine.

I don't know anything about the physics/chemistry; and I suppose that we may not even be able to make comparisons like I just made, but come on! 25% efficient gasoline? We can't do better than that? It seems to me that carbuation is probably a better solution than fuel injection: the reason is that in fuel-inj. you rely strictly on the ability of the injectors to atomize the gas almost instantaneously before ingition whereas in carburation, you can utilize a series of mechanisms which facilitate the gases own ability to atomize over a longer period of time/distance before ignition,
This is BS. You can't "atomize" gas with a carburator. Period. The gasoline will break up during the detonation phase because of the high temperature.

and of course, the more volitile the gas, the better. So I should think you could create several stages of the operation to improve efficiency rather than a one shot deal with the spray-mist. If I remember right, the wonderful thing about the old gas was the particle size of the atomized gas. It was much, MUCH smaller than we can acheive with modern conventional gas.
Not sure where you get this particle size thing of the "atomized gas", but I can tell you that it's pure and distilled BS Gasoline contains mostly various hydrocarbons, and for simplicity, this can be represented as CxHy where x and y are some integers. (i.e. C8H16) If you "atomize" hydrocarbons, you get atomic C and H, and their sizes are constant -- didn't change in the last 100 or so years, and it's not going to change in the foreseeable future either.

And, yes I do know my friend's car got 50mpg.
How do you know that?

Old 05-10-2006, 03:01 PM
aurgathor
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by alxsnmr
Found this web site that shows the patents that Pogue obtained for his carburator. There was a claim that one could certainly use this carburator but required detuning the motor and the 0-30mph time was 10 minutes.

http://www.rexresearch.com/pogue/1pogue.htm
Hmmm, 200 mpg with a then current V8 car?!! Not bad at all.
I have some waterfront properties with palm trees on the Moon for less than $1/acre. Anyone?

Old 05-10-2006, 06:30 PM
lesmore49
Senior User
Originally Posted by Torque1st
No it is not here. It still isn't even close to a "magic" carb that can be installed on an every day vehicle to get 200MPG or even 50MPG.

The Smart gets about 68 mpg, much better than 50 mpg. If you reread my post you will see that I said we are not at the 200 or even 100 mpg stage. I guess we are 'here' by your definition if 'here' is 50 mpg.[/b]Such things are fairy tales.Don't debunk or dismiss comments by using unsubstantiated opinions, (in this case referring to my posts) as fairy tales, when you don't offer any valid info to counter, the facts, I have offered.

Obviously not a fairy tale at 68 mpg (Cdn.). Check out VW Passat Diesels. High 50s mpg (Cdn.), Comfortable 4 seater, with an ok turn of speed.We will see more high efficiency vehicles if people buy them but they have nothing to do with magic carbs or conspiracy theories.Didn't say they did. I said the secret to the Smart's high mpg, was the fact that it was light, aerodynamic, had a small,(800cc) high efficiency TurboDiesel, with 6 speeds. No magic or conspiracy here, unless you're looking for it.
High efficiency vehicles are based on sound physics and engineering applied to vehicle design allowing for manufacturability and the market for such vehicles.
Kind of what I said, wasn't it? Did you really read my post?

Last edited by Torque1st; 05-11-2006 at 01:17 AM. Reason: fixed quote
Old 05-11-2006, 01:27 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
lesmore49- I read the post you made, and the smart car you were talking about does not have any bearing on the fabled 200MPG magic carb this thread is about. The existence of high efficiency vehicles has no relationship to the subject and certainly does not prove the existence of a magic carb that defies the rules of physics. This is comparing apples to gooseberries and is totally invalid... Go back and read the first post.

High efficiency vehicles certainly do exist and they are getting better.

Please do not misuse the quote function.

Last edited by Torque1st; 05-11-2006 at 01:38 AM.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:50 AM
RomerB2
Postmaster
lol I sure did open a can of worms, but this is fun to read. BTW the new Mythbusters tried out a lot of the "MPG increasing mods" to do to your engine.

Old 05-11-2006, 11:46 AM
pronstar
Elder User
Originally Posted by RomerB2
lol I sure did open a can of worms, but this is fun to read. BTW the new Mythbusters tried out a lot of the "MPG increasing mods" to do to your engine.
What was their conclusion?

Old 05-11-2006, 12:42 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Their conclusion was that none of them worked. The 300 mgp carb which they put on the vehicle actually reduced the mileage!

Old 05-11-2006, 01:45 PM
pronstar
Elder User
Originally Posted by webmaster
Their conclusion was that none of them worked. The 300 mgp carb which they put on the vehicle actually reduced the mileage!
What a surprise!

Old 05-11-2006, 03:50 PM
aurgathor
Cargo Master
There is an FTC page where they tested many of the fuel-saver devices: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/autos/gasave.htm
In short, the great majority didn't work at all. A few, mostly behavioral modification devices did work to some degree, however. But one can do that without spending anything at all... just be easy with the accelerator.

And here is one "proof" why such a 'super-carburator' doesn't exist:

Here's another big clue: there isn't one for sale. If such a device existed, the demand would be insatiable, and the manufacturer would reap untold, unimaginable wealth. Yet here we are without one. That, alone, is sufficient proof of the non-existence of any such machine.
This is from: http://community.discovery.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/9701967776/m/6151965118

Last edited by aurgathor; 05-11-2006 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:49 PM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Another historical point to ponder. During WWII (a few years after the Pogue patents) there was gasoline rationing and a tremendous effort to supply enough fuel for the war effort. How long would this miracle invention stay "suppressed" with the government pretty much taking over control of all production of goods. Think of the military advantage that device would have had if it actually worked. Aircraft engine technology was being pushed to the limit in order to get more range and payload to fight accross both oceans.

Jim

Old 05-11-2006, 06:01 PM
RomerB2
Postmaster
Well now I can see why there wouldn't be one even for sale. If there were, and the gas companies "bought it" they would be able to sell (and most definately would do so) it to every single person and become tremendously rich.

But it was good that the Mythbusters took all those myths and busted them. They also busted the myth about putting the magnet on your fuel line in order to "re-arrange" the particles to give a fuller combustion, they tried it on carbed and fuel injected.

Old 05-11-2006, 07:08 PM
aurgathor
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by lesmore49
Pogue mysteriously disappeared, I believe, and one of the rumours was that he had been paid off by the oil companies to kill the 200 mpg. carb. There were other rumours as well, apparently, but in the end, the Pogue carb kind of disappeared. Who knows what the truth is, or was, at this point in history.
I think one likely scenario that he bilked some investors out of their money, and that would nicely explain his disappearence.

Old 05-11-2006, 09:21 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Either Popular Science or Mechanics magazine tested the fuel savers a few months ago and "busted" them also.

Even if big oil owned the patent it would be registered and someone would have designed around it and be raking in the $$$ by now.

Last edited by Torque1st; 05-11-2006 at 09:23 PM.

Quick Reply: 200 MPG carburetors.