The Next Generation For those ages 15-25.
View Poll Results: Should marijuana be legal?
yes it should be legal
46.51%
no it shouldn't be legal
53.49%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Do you think marijuana should be legal?

Old 04-06-2006, 07:49 PM
thorseshoeing
decadent and depraved

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Do you think marijuana should be legal?

I am not asking if any of you smoke it, just do you think it should be legal or not.

I personally don't think its effects are any worse than alcohol(people usually don't get high and want to fight like alot of drunks do), and it's safer than cigarettes because it dosen't have a bunch of tar and chemicals in it.

Tim

P.s.-Matt, if you don't think this is appropiate could you move it to the members only section or delete it. Thanks.

Last edited by thorseshoeing; 04-06-2006 at 08:01 PM.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:55 PM
jcp123
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's a hard one for me. It completely changed my GF, causing a lot of drama and grief for both of us, and ever since then I have hated it and refuse to even talk to anybody who smokes that stuff.

However, I do realize that at least some of the problems that she had with it may have been prevented had this stuff been legal.

So you see, I guess I could go either way on this stuff, although I lean towards saying "no, it shouldn't be legal". And that's how I voted.

Last edited by Racerguy; 04-06-2006 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:57 PM
BLK94F150
Postmaster
Nope. I've worked too many scenes involving marijuana were people have died or almost died. For every one person that can use marijuana appropriately, there are 10 more that can't.

Usually your body can handle one drug at a time from what I've observed. Typically people using marijuana are taking or drinking multiple things and that's what gets them.

Marijuana's classification as a hallucinagin will pretty much keep it from ever being legal.

Mike

Old 04-06-2006, 09:58 PM
handyman43358
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think if we keep our cool in here like we are doing in the Immigration Law thread, things will be just fine. Remember we are entitled to our own opinions.

I personally don't think it should be legalized. I personally haven't ever touched the stuff. Hell I haven't even smoked cigarettes. I've seen a lot of peoples lives go downhill quick because when they start smoking marijuana, they want more, and go onto more dangerous drugs, until they eventually kill themselves.

So I'm going to have to vote no. Here in Ohio they are trying to pass a statewide smoking ban, so Mari Jane would probably be out of the picture soon anyways.

Old 04-06-2006, 10:09 PM
CowboyPenner
Elder User
I don't like it. It changed by g/f's behaviors in a negative way. On top of that it was an easy out for her instead of really dealing with her issues. If a doctor prescribes it for a legitimate medical condition then I might be more approving.

Last edited by CowboyPenner; 04-06-2006 at 10:12 PM.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:14 PM
Cuda444
Elder User
I've taken numerous substance abuse classes as a crim. justice major and I'd have to agree... who would you rather have approach you in an alley at night... A stoner or a drunk? Someone who is all doped up on marijuana just wants to sit on a couch and eat cheese doodles (for the most part)... the drunks that have been drinking things like "Jager-fight-me" and "Te-kill-ya" seem to be the ones who have issues with determining what is a good idea and what is not. Now I'm not advocating pot, and I'm not saying people shouldn't drink either (I drink). I do however believe in moderation and responsibility. But, if taken in access, I think the pot smokers have a stronger argument when it comes to who causes more problems. Just my opinion

Tom

Old 04-06-2006, 10:58 PM
derherr65
Elder User
Economically speaking marijuana is just as bad as alcohol. Stoners sit on couches(mostly) munching, and do no labor. That's a complete loss economically. Alcoholics are about the same labor wise.

Too much of anything is bad. I like to say there's no such thing as too much horsepower. But how many other drivers would you trust with a 1000HP vehicle?

Old 04-06-2006, 11:01 PM
thorseshoeing
decadent and depraved

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I started this thread because I saw something about it on the news tonight. I'm not a pothead or anything, I was just curious about what the younger people here thought about it.

I will admit to occasionally smoking it, I just don't do it very often and I'm always at home and I don't go anywhere the rest of the day. Basically, I look at it about it the same way I look at alcohol, it's fine in moderation, some people just any willpower and can't control theirselves.

I feel sorry deeply sorry for everyone that drugs and alcohol has negatively affected your lives, directly or indirectly.

Tim

Old 04-06-2006, 11:15 PM
Hillbillywagon
Senior User
I voted no....seen way to many people loose way to many brain cells.

It is not really the gateway drug that everyone seems to think it is, however you will find that more people that have or do smoke pot do other harder drugs than the general population...

Pot doesnt make them do it, however it is just the way of thinking that some (not all) pot smokers have in regards to drugs that makes them more likely to try other things.

I will say that I am biased though. I have seen what drugs (not limited to but including pot) can do to peoples lives...My best friend and wife is a recovering meth and coke addict that has been clean for two years now and it wasn't easy for her to get to that point. Drugs destroyed her life and the effects of that destruction can still be seen today in many aspects of her life. Same goes for alcohol, while I do drink on occasion, I do watch my self due to a history of alcoholism in my family.

To be honest, it wouldn't really bother me much if it was banned as well. I drink pop most of the time when I go out to the bar because I am usualy the one driving.

Last edited by Hillbillywagon; 04-07-2006 at 12:15 AM.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:01 PM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
The biggest reason it isnt legalized is cause the gubbiment cant figure out how to put a tax on it, cause it can be grown in your house and theirs no way to keep track of it and they wouldnt be making any money.

Old 04-07-2006, 04:20 PM
Josh88Ford
Elder User
I personally dont use it, but know a lot of people who use it. A few good friends too. Now all they want to do is get high and play super nintendo for 4-5 hours. Pretty much turned into low life douches that have nothing going for them. They can do their own thing. Can't wait to see where they are in two years after graduating

Old 04-07-2006, 04:32 PM
handyman43358
Postmaster
Originally Posted by bigdaddyII
The biggest reason it isnt legalized is cause the gubbiment cant figure out how to put a tax on it, cause it can be grown in your house and theirs no way to keep track of it and they wouldnt be making any money.
You know, that reminds me. Ag teacher told me a while back that the reason why it's not legalized is pretty much the same thing you just said. Only difference is, they were worried it would take sales away from tobacco plants, which is taxed.

Old 04-07-2006, 04:35 PM
BLK94F150
Postmaster
Originally Posted by handyman43358
You know, that reminds me. Ag teacher told me a while back that the reason why it's not legalized is pretty much the same thing you just said. Only difference is, they were worried it would take sales away from tobacco plants, which is taxed.
That may be the case, but it's also classified as a hallucinagin. Good luck ever getting one of those legal.

Mike

Old 04-07-2006, 04:43 PM
handyman43358
Postmaster
I'm sure there are many other factors to why it's not been legalized already. Good point also Mike, didn't think about that one lol.

Old 04-07-2006, 05:23 PM
CAFordDude
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I do not think that Marijuana should be legalized.
I do believe that it is a gateway drug. That is not a medical opinion but a personal opinion based on what I have seen in my job.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do you think marijuana should be legal?