WEIRD project: converting an F100

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 01:53 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Barbieri
Gotta tell ya, Fabman, that Cummins 4 cylinder TD is one sweet engine. Basically a 5.9 missing two holes. Light, simple, easy to mount, and with the GM bellhousing pattern, you sure won't lack for tranny choices! We used the program several years ago to buy complete 5.9's for training purposes. They arrived in special shipping crates, and when we opened them up, you couldn't tell them from new! Not sure on the price of the 3.9; I've slept since then! As far as power goes, seems to me it was around 120hp and 300 lbs of torque. I think. Sure would be sweet in a newer Ranger. Or an older Land Cruiser. Or a Jeep. Or.....
Dave; That sounds sweeeeet! Do you have any contact info on that Cummins outfit? I'd like to contact them about pricing etc. This sounds like a project I want to try! Thanks.

FABMANDELUX.

Old 04-14-2006, 10:19 PM
AndysFords
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lots of people put 353 and 453 detroit diesels in little F100s (3 or 4 cylinders) and they will ever more turn up some RPMs, you won't be putting around 45 mph in that thing, even if it is low geared.

Last edited by AndysFords; 04-14-2006 at 10:21 PM.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:30 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by AndysFords
lots of people put 353 and 453 detroit diesels in little F100s (3 or 4 cylinders) and they will ever more turn up some RPMs, you won't be putting around 45 mph in that thing, even if it is low geared.
?????????????????????????????

Old 04-14-2006, 10:43 PM
AndysFords
Posting Guru
what do you mean ?????????

Old 04-14-2006, 10:51 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
[QUOTE "they will ever more turn up some RPMs," " you won't be putting around 45 mph in that thing", [/QUOTE]

Huh??????????

Old 04-14-2006, 10:56 PM
AndysFords
Posting Guru
He said he wouldn't mind putt putting arond 45 mph, but if you get a 3 or 4 cylinder detroit like out of a skitter, they are two stroke diesels which, like a two stroke gas, turn a lot more RPMs, so even a truck with no over drive and 4.10 gears, you would still be able to get up a pretty good speed.

Old 04-14-2006, 11:18 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
I've worked on 2-53,4-53, 6-71, 8v71, 8v92, and 16v92 Detroit Diesels for over 30 years. The only Detroits I've ever seen that run over 2,350rpm were marine diesels which were governed at 3,000rpm.

FABMANDELUX.

Last edited by IB Tim; 04-15-2006 at 05:25 AM.
Old 04-15-2006, 02:03 AM
kaulike
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
45-50mph will do just fine for me. I live in a rural area and most of the highway along the coast is about 50mph anyway. And frankly the tourists who go faster than that need to slow down anyway. (I think my rear end is 3.55, btw)

So how do I get started? I live on the northern California coast---I'll call the folks in Arkansas, but if we go with the Perkins engine, should I start with tractor auctions or what?

Also, if I find a 4-cyl with a trans attached, what are the chances I could just bolt it up to the drive shaft, or would I have to have someone weld me a new one? I'm assuming I would have to severely alter the engine and trans mount, although there is plenty of room under the hood. (68 F100)

thanks

Last edited by kaulike; 04-15-2006 at 02:05 AM.
Old 04-15-2006, 01:49 PM
Dave Barbieri
Senior User
Originally Posted by kaulike
So how do I get started? I live on the northern California coast---I'll call the folks in Arkansas, but if we go with the Perkins engine, should I start with tractor auctions or what?
Start with more research and phone calls. So far, you've been getting 'opinions'. That's great to help you focus on what's possible. Now it's time to get specific. Engine mounts, trans mounts, adapters, driveline mods, suppliers and, last of all, costs. Your not gonna want opinions here, you're gonna want hard info: part numbers and item prices. Start here for conversion info:

http://www.cumminsstuff.com/conversion.htm

http://eshop.advanceadapters.com/com...=1145124770046

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=471834

This is just a starting point. Keep in mind that the more you learn now, the less you'll waste in the future. Trust me - I've jumped into some projects poorly prepared and spent WAY more than I had to. Buy high, sell low. That's my motto!

Old 05-23-2006, 03:27 AM
kaulike
Freshman User
You're onto something with the Buy High motto.

I have taken your advice and done some shopping & talking---and while the opinions have been great and the trip sounds interesting, I calculate that a Cummins swap in my old F100 would cost somewhere between $3000-4000, if I could find a used 4BT. A new BT would set me back more than that with just the engine and no trans.

If the truck were in "restorable" condition rather than "been rode hard and put up wet" I would consider just spending the money and walking away with a million future miles in the bank. But that's a lot of cash to drop on a beater.

The other engines sound interesting, but I am unsure of the legalities in California, and the truck needs to stay street legal. Propane is also out for the same reason---I can find the parts, but not the piece of paper to say it is a legal conversion. Yet another case of the RIGHT thing being illegal.

So I'm stuck with gas for a while at least. But I did get it running this weekend, first time in a year!

Old 05-25-2006, 07:24 PM
dslmn
Freshman User
Try advance adapters - look them up in Four Wheeler or online- for the necessary parts to mate different engines with transmissions. They also make motor mounts for various conversions. I've seen at least one Jeep with a diesel conversion, looked like a Perkins, but I never was able to find out more about it. The ford F100 conversion may be doable, but anything heavy is going to require a suspension upgrade. what about switching in a modern small diesel like the Italian CRD used in the Jeep Liberty?

Old 05-26-2006, 12:55 PM
kaulike
Freshman User
The CRD engine sounds very interesting, and at that size (2.8L) it would probably fit both the weight and power requirements for the F100. But finding one looks to be a little tougher. The Liberty CRD hasn't been out long enough for them to be showing up in boneyards. It might be worth a call to Chrysler, but I have a feeling it will end up being a similar deal to the Cummins---just too expensive for an old beater truck.

I think I will go spend some time at Advanced Adapters, though--maybe I could look at it from the other perspective, seeing what engines would mate up to my old T18 trans. The Perkins did look interesting, although at only 2300 RPMs I don't think the final truck would be street legal, at least not until I found a Ranger overdrive unit to put in!

thanks for the response

Old 05-26-2006, 02:05 PM
bhiggins
Senior User
1) the crd will require tons of electrial splices i'm afraid. that engine is fired via computer. I'd look for one that is fired with a mechanical pump on the engine to eliminate computer stuff

2)i've looked into the 4BT engine for a jeep and from what i gather that engine is HEAVY. 200-300 lbs more than a v8

the guys putting them in CJ's are re-enforcing the frame so not to crack it. and the cj came with 304's and 360's

3)an adapter plate will mount any motor to a close transmission. Just have to make or find a company that makes adapter plates

4) mercedes and volvo (maybe??) have inline 5 cyclinder diesels that may be worth looking into

just info i've gathers hope it helps make your decission easier

Last edited by bhiggins; 05-26-2006 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:34 AM
Dave Barbieri
Senior User
Originally Posted by bhiggins
1)i've looked into the 4BT engine for a jeep and from what i gather that engine is HEAVY. 200-300 lbs more than a v8

the guys putting them in CJ's are re-enforcing the frame so not to crack it. and the cj came with 304's and 360's

mercedes and volvo (maybe??) have inline 5 cyclinder diesels that may be worth looking into
The 4BT motor IS heavy - around 1,000# fully dressed. That puts it about 300# heavier than a big block Chevy. You're right about the serious frame reinforcement. And the spring mods to support more than twice the designed engine weight.

You're also right about some alternatives. The Isuzu 4JB1 motor is pretty popular. Under 3 liters, fairly light, very well built and dependable. Here's a few examples:

http://www.islandnet.com/~canev/Jeep.html

http://www.islandnet.com/~canev/Dakota.html

And here's an example of what you can do with a spare MB 240D motor laying around:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT
(If this doesn't load, go to the eBay website and look up item 4643232132.)

OK, this one's WAY off topic, but these little suckers just look so darn cute!

http://www.acmeadapters.com/index.php

Something that gets around 30mpg is MIGHTY attractive, let me tell ya. The only problem is, there's darn little available. You have to basically build your own. I've played with VW Rabbit diesels for years. As a rule, not bad little cars, once you get past the squirrely electrical glitches. If I were serious about a diesel engine swap project, I'd look real hard at Japanese, 4WD, either pickup (Toyota, Nissan) or SUV (older Trooper). From what I've seen they're typically bullet-proof and trouble-free, and dropping a small 4 cylinder turbodiesel into one wouldn't be that big a deal. That would give me a daily driver that costs less than half to run down the road, and leave 'Ol Gray for the SERIOUS work.

Old 05-27-2006, 07:17 PM
bhiggins
Senior User
dave,

what all cars/trucks did the isuzu 4jb1 come in? years?

what horspower is that ?

thanks
Higgins

Quick Reply: WEIRD project: converting an F100