1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner
View Poll Results: Do you (almost) obsessively modify other things besides your PSD?
I have always modified most things trying to make them work better.
66.67%
I have only modified vehicles, and the PSD is not my first.
13.33%
I have modified other things, but never vehicles.
5.00%
I have never modified anything before - the PSD is my first.
13.33%
You guys are stupid to change anything from stock because engineers always know best.
1.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

PMS - Is It New to You, or Have You Always Suffered?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 08:33 PM
arninetyes
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PMS - Is It New to You, or Have You Always Suffered?

As I replied to a recent thread on PMS, it occurred to me that there was a poll just waiting...

So, here is the setup -

We have discussed PMS and its incurability - but I believe it is part of a much larger syndrome that is manifested on this forum as it relates to Powerstrokes and the trucks that are moved by them.

The syndrome - (sorry, no name, I'm not a psychologist) - the incessent need to "fix" things that are not necessarily broken. That is, the belief that we can make them better than how they were manufactured.

Presently, I'm working on my PSD. But I've done the same thing with half the cars and trucks I've owned, most of the motocycles, audio equipment, firearms, computers, and probably other things I can't remember right now.

My point is - I believe most people who now suffer PMS have displayed this syndrome before. I also believe that very, very few of the people who answer this poll will say they are first-time modifiers/hot rodders/tinkerers or whatever else you want to call it.

So, if you have a minute, please take the poll, and let's see how things stack up

If you add a comment after taking the poll, let us in on things you are modding right now (OTHER than your PSD, we already know about that one! ).

Okay, okay - I'm currently (I mean currently, not last year) working on two things besides my beloved F250.

I have an old Apple Powerbook G3 Pismo. It is one hell of a well made machine. I got it used and was impressed with it, so...

The other is my 1988 BMW R100RS motorcycle. What started as mere 'major maintenance' has turned into major upgrades - um, sorry, none of the mods involve 'chopping' or 'customizing' - all relate to functional improvement.

How about YOU?

PS - purely cosmetic mods <i><b>do not count in this poll!</i></b>

Last edited by arninetyes; 04-08-2006 at 08:38 PM.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:46 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have about 5 grand into my truck. it is my first truck, and that means i havent modified anything such as a vehicle before.

however in my earlier years i had several nitro RC's and a kickass Yamaha Blaster 200 with 35 hp. (stock is about 18)

i started out at about 13, with a T-maxx that never ran well. this was my first introduction to mechanical crap and stuff, and i learned fast. ended up selling it (parting out, still have some) and made not much on it. maybe $500 on a truck i had $1300 in. no pics of it..

then i sold that, got a four wheeler, and also put about $5500 into it. it was a waste of money to sell it, i had to part it out because i couldnt ride it without getting bruised knees (handlebars/fenders) and mom said it was WAYY too loud. that CT pipe was sweet. ended up parting it out and only getting $2200 for it, i wanted the money for a truck. lots of pics, just ask.

now i have a Traxxas Revo with a mach .26 in it, and a total of about $1250 in mods. it also has a brand new engine and a broken starter shaft. no time to play with it. tons of pics.

also have a Jato 2.5 which also has some broken parts. i need to put about $100 into them and have them RTR. this is one serious flier.

hindsight is 20/20, and if i would have known then what i know now, i would have had a beater quad, sold it, and have about $8000 more for my truck than i would have had. still looking back i wish i would have had a Forged engine with ZF6.

Old 04-08-2006, 11:48 PM
CAT_man_963
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I definitely didn't start with my truck - I started way before that - though I specifically bought a diesel for that reason!! (See my gallery of my "old truck" - I started with modding a 460 gasser!!)

Started with my first 4-wheeler - old Kawasaki Bayou 300 - nothing special but I did all the mods I could and re-built the 4-stroke motor myself with very little help - I was 14!

I sold that and got a '86 CR 250 - and modded that - it was pretty much all new when I sold it. I rebuilt that motor myself too - not because I needed it - but to bore it out and get it ported and polished!!

Traded that to a friend of a friend for a Suzuki Katana 750 - ordered a Yoshimura exhaust for it the first week I had it - put that and a filter and jet kit on it and rode it like that - it was pretty darn fast for a first bike and I was pretty much scared of it (in hindsight prolly a good thing) and never did many more mods except for cosmetic stuff - no more performance!

Sold that, made money on it, and bought an '87 Suzuki Quadracer. I dumped a LOT of time and money into that thing (wish I had all that $$ for my present PMS) - did a full tear-down and rebuild the first week I got it - polished every part I could get apart!! I literally spent days in my shop at the polishing wheel!! When I sold it - it was basically in full race trim - the only thing left on it that was stock was the frame - and it was custom braced and powedercoated on a second re-build. It was scary fast - I could pretty much beat any of my friends quads - I lost money on that baby - BIG time!!

I was actually smart with that money and got my Miller mig welder for my shop!! Shortly after that - I traded in the old Ford on my current money pit...err I mean PSD!

We have 5 4-wheelers between my Dad and I - and they are all stock besides mud tires - all my $ goes to my truck now!!

Last edited by CAT_man_963; 04-09-2006 at 12:01 AM.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:52 PM
PowerStrokeMe
Senior User
Its hard putting hard earned money into depreciating assets but its a curse, a curse I say! I would rather put it towards a home but my vehicles are pretty much my home; always in them LoL.

Other than the truck I started back in 99-2000 with my ranger. I had a couple vehicles before then but they werent that great and didnt want to put money into them. Then I traded the ranger for my old mustang. Dropped probably 8-10k in it. Sold it for $8500
Got the PSD.

Other toy would be 03 Raptor 660R. Nothing major done to it yet. Just air filter, modified the pipe, and new front sprocket (I would rather put money towards the truck ya know!)

Im an electrician so I am always looking at ways/things to change about lighting etc in homes.

Thats about it!

Old 04-09-2006, 10:21 AM
superpony18
Senior User
my first was my '72 Datsun B110 1.8L/5 speed, header, cam, intake, glasspack,
second was my '72 F-100 302/c4. I am currently building a '53 Chevy step side for my father in law, hot rod. I am slowly working on my '54 F-100, eventually the pro street look.
And last but definetly not the least my 01 F250, see signature

I think this quilifies me.

Old 04-09-2006, 10:46 AM
johnny8
Postmaster
gotta say it... STOCK SUCKS..!!!! i don't care what machine you are talking about... the engineers always de-tune to increase longevity... some machines can't handle being moded, thank god the PSD is NOT one of those machines..!!!!

Old 04-09-2006, 10:52 AM
barebackjake
Postmaster
MODIFY EVERYTHING!!! it can always be better!!! FASTER FASTER FASTER!!! the thing i have with factory produced products is there engineered for the mass public i have to suit things for my needs.

Old 04-09-2006, 11:32 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I started out early in life but the first example i can think about was a lawn mower, I was mowing other peoples lawns so I tore it down and did some polishing on the carb, and a little work on the head to get it to run faster, I mean if I could make it cut faster I could get more lawns done and make more money.
Then I had a motorcycle that I raced (thats my other addiction that runs hand in hand with the modifying addiction) it had bumped up compression and was turning some sick rpms back in the mid 70s, I was always turning hte hp up on my farm tractors etc etc.
Now well most people on here probably now about my biggest one other than my PSD, but for those that don't look HERE
And then there is THIS
And of coarse you know that I won't leave the wifes vehicles alone either but thats gonna take a little longe to get around too.

Old 04-09-2006, 11:41 AM
ramsmoker
Senior User
Talking Pms

As far back as I can remember my Dad was chasing me around telling me to leave things alone. Like knocking out knots in a pine board with an 30.06 round and ball piene hammer. Now its my wife chasing me around telling me to leave #%#@^ alone. Heck, my coffee pot is jacked up. My laptop, desktop computers have all been hot rodded. I drove our Excursion home new and nosed it into the shop and pulled the grill out for ramair and K&N filter. Then measured for the lift. All because she stopped at the mall and didn't follow me home!!!! I have it bad. Someone put me out of my misery!!!!!!!

Old 04-09-2006, 05:22 PM
arninetyes
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ramsmoker
I have it bad. Someone put me out of my misery!!!!!!!
I understand your pain, my brother. I try not to think about how many years sooner I could retire if I did not have this obsession.

On the other hand, that would mean I'd have little of interest to keep me alive after retirement.

I guess, on the whole..... It must be time to start shopping for the oil bypass filter.

Old 04-09-2006, 06:55 PM
johnny8
Postmaster
Originally Posted by arninetyes
I understand your pain, my brother. I try not to think about how many years sooner I could retire if I did not have this obsession.

On the other hand, that would mean I'd have little of interest to keep me alive after retirement.

I guess, on the whole..... It must be time to start shopping for the oil bypass filter.
let me know what you find for prices on that by-pass filter... i might be able to point you to a good deal, depending on what you find...

Old 04-09-2006, 07:52 PM
GeoffNJ
Elder User
[QUOTE=arninetyes]The syndrome - (sorry, no name, I'm not a psychologist) - the incessent need to "fix" things that are not necessarily broken. That is, the belief that we can make them better than how they were manufactured...
[QUOTE]

Syndrome= "Syndroma Aintgoodenuffus"

I mod everything in some way. I too started with lawnmowers. This is funny but, I'm modding a Bermuda rig 20' sailboat into a Masthead. For those who don't know, I'm seeing if I can get it to lean all the way over. LOL

Old 04-09-2006, 10:00 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't remember a time when I wasn't modifying stuff. From the time I was very young and literally modifying my toys, to quads and motorcycles, mowers & trimmers, every car I've ever had, and now my diesel. I just can't help it. I have some unknown reason that I have to take stuff that's not broken and try to make it work better - just like Geoff said. I think if I ever get old enough to need one of those power scooters, it's be modded too.

Old 04-09-2006, 10:10 PM
GeoffNJ
Elder User
The Rascal? I'd add a few batteries and upgrade the motors.

Old 04-09-2006, 10:10 PM
Lushman
Elder User
Mods for Life!
I started with little 50 motorcylces a long time ago and went on to a 1991 toyota truck. I now have 2 quads. One is for my wife, (but I get to do all the mods ) and mine is a YFZ450 with pipe, jetting, air filter, lighter flywheel, long travel front end, quadrubple rate shocks, HID lighting, longer steering stem, and many other parts to make it look good! I have had several RC trucks, and currently have a Monster GT with bypass shocks, alot of aluminum parts, new pipe for the nitro motor, regeared the transmission, upgraded the brakes, etc.
I have only had PMS for about 5 weeks, wait, that is because I bought my truck 5 weeks and 1 day ago and found FTE that night!!