1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Proposed Gas Tank Relocate

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2002, 05:27 AM
GolferSA
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To free up the room behind the seat, I've been considering building (ok, having built) a box in the bed, just large enough to hold the gas tank (standing upright the way it is behind the seat), with a lift up lid to access the filler spout and a locking gas cap for peace of mind. Think of a "between the bed rails" diamond plate toolbox, 8.5" deep by 65" wide by 18" tall, standing upright. Minimal work to re-route the fuel lines and electrical, Plus you get to keep your sending unit, you only lose 8.5" of bed space, and my spare can stay hanging underneath out of the way. I would leave the original filler neck in the cab, and just cap it off inside, to retain the original look of my truck.

Thoughts?

GolferSA
67 Ford F100 Custom Cab
352V8 C6 Auto Factory Air
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/displaythumbnail.php?&photoid=5688&.jpg
golfersa@netscape.net
Check out my gallery!

Old 10-20-2002, 07:22 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm afaid you will be disappointed in the space that have left.
http://www.clubfte.com/users/jowilker/USFlag.gif
John

jowilker email me
[link:www.ford-trucks.com/users/jowilker|My Club FTE Page] Member 0004 since 01 01

[link:www.ford-trucks.net/users/jowilker/NCFTE.html|NCFTO] North Carolina Ford Truck Owners Group

In the cool still quiet of night, you can hear chevies rusting away.

Old 10-20-2002, 08:16 AM
jds1971
Elder User

I was thinking about a marine-type tank. Check these out:

http://www.basspro-shops.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=30050&hvarDept=200&hvarE vent=&hvarClassCode=2&hvarSubCode=4&hvarTarget=bro wse

Long link, huh? These tanks are cheap. I also thought about hiding one in my tool box. You can even fit one under your toolbox if you have the space between the box and the bed.

Joe

Old 10-20-2002, 01:37 PM
1 Big Mike
Senior User

I would like to have that 50 gallon tank for $115 and put it under the bed right over the rear axle. Ford actually put a 40 gallon tank on some of the older pickups. We have a 74 F250 4x4 that has a big 40 under the bed. Eventually I will try to do that, but that 50 gallon tank looks good.

Old 10-20-2002, 09:40 PM
GolferSA
Elder User

John...

It'll free up room for golf clubs!

GolferSA
67 Ford F100 Custom Cab
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/displaythumbnail.php?&photoid=5688&.jpg
golfersa@netscape.net
Check out my gallery!

Old 10-21-2002, 04:12 PM
cseay1
Junior User

There is someone who makes a steel box that mounts in the front of the bed, and you take your original tank out of the cab and put it in the box. There is a flip top lid to fill the tank. It takes up about 8" in the front of the bed and is flush with the header panel of the bed. I'll look through my catalogs to see if I can find it and will post a follow up msg with the name of the place.

Chris Seay
Bealeton, VA

Old 10-21-2002, 06:10 PM
GolferSA
Elder User

Chris, that would be excellent! Thanks!

GolferSA
67 Ford F100 Custom Cab
golfersa@netscape.net
Check out my gallery!

Old 10-21-2002, 08:28 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

>John...
>
>It'll free up room for golf clubs!

I doubt it unless you are awefully short and you don't plan on using the bag, but you go ahead and give it a shot. I'll be interested to hear that it worked.

Chris, The tank box that you refer to is out of production.

John

jowilker email me
[link:www.ford-trucks.com/users/jowilker|My Club FTE Page] Member 0004 since 01 01

[link:www.ford-trucks.net/users/jowilker/NCFTE.html|NCFTO] North Carolina Ford Truck Owners Group

Old 10-21-2002, 10:07 PM
jds1971
Elder User

http://www.transferflow.com/html/toolbox_tanks_0.html

There are several companies making fuel tank / toolbox combos. They are pricey, though. Take a look at the one above. I just ran a search for "auxillary fuel tanks" and this one came up.

Joe

Old 10-21-2002, 10:55 PM
gtex
Lead Driver
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm considering the same transiston and have priced several pieces recently. They are expensive. You are looking at a grand $$ or better for a tool-box combo. these usually come with an in tank fuel pump, part of the higher cost and probebly not needed for our older trucks. For substantially less in the $300-500 range you can get tanks for truck beds from 40-100 gallsons but these do not have a sending unit for the gas guage. This is a concern for me if I remove the tank from the cab. I can get a 98 gallon tank that is L shaped up against the cab and extends back near the wheel wells for around $300. Do you think I can install a sending unit in one of these without too much trouble? With my engine and 4.10 gears, 98 gallons is appealing and the extra weight over the tires is a bonus for traction. Naturally, you lose some bed space.

I am also considering a custom job using a marine tank and a few appropriately positioned pieces of Al diamondplate.

If anybody comes up wth a good plan, let us know.

Old 10-21-2002, 11:06 PM
cseay1
Junior User

The catalog that I found that tank box in was Carolina Classics. It is dated Jan 99 so it may very well be discontinued - I do not know. But here is what the ad says:

1964-72 styleside bed gas tank relocator kit, use your original tank and relocate it in the front of you styleside bed, a complete bolt-in unit, only takes up 8" of bed space at the front, available ONLY from Carolina Classics.

It listed in the catalog for $360.00. The numbers for Carolina Classics are 1-919-682-4211 and 1-800-598-4211.

Chris Seay
Bealeton, VA

Old 10-22-2002, 05:03 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

That's the one that I was refering to.
John

jowilker email me

Old 10-22-2002, 05:41 AM
revrick
Cross-Country
Post Proposed Gas Tank Relocate

I just bought a 68 ranger short box that has a factory auxiliary gas tank that mounts under the drivers side inside the frame rail. the only thing I don't like about it is that the filler neck is in the side of the box. If you can find one of these, you might be able to adapt it to yours. Good luck

Old 10-22-2002, 08:59 PM
GolferSA
Elder User

Chris...

A local welding shop offered to build the same thing for approximately $200.00. I like the idea of the factory auxiliary tank, thought I might run the filler spout from it's current location out thru the cab floor and then work out a flexible connection to the tank.

Lot's of possibilities, that's for sure.

GolferSA
67 Ford F100 Custom Cab
golfersa@netscape.net
Check out my gallery!

Old 10-22-2002, 09:16 PM
GolferSA
Elder User

>>John...
>>
>>It'll free up room for golf clubs!
>
>I doubt it unless you are awefully short and you don't plan
>on using the bag, but you go ahead and give it a shot. I'll
>be interested to hear that it worked.

John,

I measured the space I'd have... with the seat all the way back it's 11" from the cab wall to the bottom edge of the seat, and the cab is over 65" wide. My carry bag is 9" top and bottom, and my driver has a 47" shaft (2' over standard), total 53" long. I can't see that I can't get those behind my seat.

GolferSA
67 Ford F100 Custom Cab
golfersa@netscape.net
Check out my gallery!

Quick Reply: Proposed Gas Tank Relocate