Iowa Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

I got my first bronco

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 02:56 PM
weldingfreak
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got my first bronco

I just got a bronco yesterday for $200 yes it is running and no it is not a complete rust bucket. at least no holes in the floor boards or anything. just a little on the tail gate and rear fender wheel wells. It is a I6 with a c6 tranny 208 T-case, 9" rear. does have some blow by comming out of the dip stick.the dealer had just sold it ato a kid from down south and he could not get the truck started after he got it home so the daeler took it back and had given up on it. so he sold it to me but the day I was to have it delivered to me the dealer found out the ki9d had just installed the rotor wrong and the truck just started right up he was very up set that he just sold me a truck for jest $200. but ohwell his loss. it is a 1986 so any ideas I could do to the truck would be helpful. the rear window does not roll down and the front does have a little shimmy but it will hold 55mph with out any trouble.

Old 04-02-2006, 04:16 PM
chrono4
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the rear motors seem to be trouble some, might just try removing it and cleaning it. i wouldnt be suprised if just a good wheel balance fixed that shimmy. i like when i find good trucks for cheap cause of somthing simple. i got my 89 f150 for 300 bucks cause it need leaf spring hangers, 50 bux later i have a 1000 or better dollar truck. hope it does good for you.

Old 04-02-2006, 05:47 PM
Flareside94
Senior User
As I said, you've got camber issues in the front. Still, not a bad grab for 200 bucks. Could use some paint. I got your message, sounds good with you having cleaned up the carb some. I'm going to make a guess on a "plan of attack" we can take on this project...

Sticking with the 300..if you stick with it you can get the bearing/ring kit to do the quick rebuild, have the block cleaned up and done ten over like you said, have the heads and block zero-decked to get them cleaned up nicely. Polish up the pistons and reuse if possible (unless ou spring for the full rebuilder kit). Then use the hood, fenders, grill, doors, etc from the black truck to throw on the front end of the Bronco, we can sand down the rest of the truck, cut the rear wheel wells or do whatever you want to do with them back there (patch plate, you're a damn good welder so that's a definate possibility). Pull the leaf springs and 9" from the black truck, and then sell the glass to whoever you said was interested in it and then you could still come out with 500 dollars to cover your costs by selling that 351/C6, plus probably get some more cash from him for pulling it and having it ready for him to haul off, or load it in the back of my truck for me to bring over to him.

Or if you want to swap to the 351W that is cool too. I'm just thinking that there's not going to be anybody very interested in that 300 as is. Course Drew needs L6 motor mounts, but otherwise...its your call. Let me know what you think. I'm glad Monica got your internet to work. I can only work so much FM (****in Magic) on computers, and mine has taken alot of it lately with my Linux/Winblows dual boot nightmare. Not to mention driver rewriting and emulation. *shakes head* I'll talk to you later on MSN.

Haha I was just sitting on the computer Saturday thinking about taking a nap and here Rick knocks on my door for me to lookat his new toy. It was a pleasant surprise. Either way as I said, congrats. Now we've got some work to do (and some learning too, though that's more me then you).

Old 04-02-2006, 06:50 PM
weldingfreak
Senior User
Well I do like your idea about the bronco but for noe I do need to keep the black truck running "Because" the wife did say that we need to take the lawn mower over to the other lot to mow the grass couple times a month. I did talk to my dad about the truck he said I stole the truck I could not have gotten a better deal. he did say I can use his engine stand and cherry picker he said to just pull the motor and use brake cleaner to get most of the greece off it it deglaze the cly walls and install new rings unless the walls scratches where too big. like when you can feel it with your finger nail. reassemble the motor with new gaskets new rod bearing ( he said to rub a penny across the journals on the crank if copper rubs off crank needs to be polished) that will stop the excess blowby and get the milage up on the cheep that is what he sugested unless I want to drop more money on the motor. he said as far a milage goes I can expect 14-16 mpg on the 300 and 12-14mpg on the 351

Old 04-02-2006, 07:08 PM
Flareside94
Senior User
Sweet. When we doing all this?

Old 04-02-2006, 07:09 PM
weldingfreak
Senior User
Originally Posted by Flareside94
Sweet. When we doing all this?
I was going to start today but you never came over

Old 04-02-2006, 07:26 PM
Flareside94
Senior User
Bah, the sister doesn't get to see me alot, had to let her spend some time with her "Big brotha" =P

Old 04-02-2006, 09:12 PM
weldingfreak
Senior User

I will ahve more to come later

Old 04-02-2006, 09:14 PM
chrono4
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
looks good for what you payed for it.

Old 04-02-2006, 11:14 PM
Flareside94
Senior User
"It's even got a NP208 transfer case with the yoke setup *you* wanted"

"You don't have a "freakin" 208...."

*crawls under it*

"Ok..you have a 208...."

Bwahaha I admit, I was had there. I thought the 1345 was used since the mid 80's...208's going the dodo since the early 80's.

Old 04-03-2006, 12:34 PM
BigBear1
Senior User
Looks like a good rock solid rig, Ive go the 300 I-6/C6 combination in my F-250 and I really think you are going to enjoy it as much as I do. I just got done putting a Holley 8007 390 CFM carb., Offenhauser Intake, & Hedmans header on the 300 I-6 and now the the old F-250 (Big Bear) will really pull (especially after I install new rear leaf springs), but it did pull my buddy's '98 Ford Crown Victoria ex-cop car on a trailer with out any torubles. If you want some good ideas for performance upgrades for the 300 I-6 cruise on over to the inline 6 foru, you will surely get some good ideas there

Oh, by the way, $200 may be a steal for that truck but I got my '85 F-250 for free.

Old 04-03-2006, 12:36 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
nope my 86 had a np208 in it.

Old 04-03-2006, 07:31 PM
fordsrgrt
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
my 86 had a 1345 bw in it

Old 04-04-2006, 08:02 AM
Flareside94
Senior User
See why I hate wiring? After last night.....*shakes his head*

Old 04-04-2006, 09:06 AM
weldingfreak
Senior User
well I hve a question for all of you the 300 athat I have in it does have some blow-by which I can feel comming out of the dip stick. the ealer that I bought the truck from said he thinks that it has a cracked ring. So I am thinking of eather rebuilding the 300 or taking the 351 out of a 1985 pick up I have that was my dailey driver and stick it in. I am on a fairly tight budget so I can not go nuts right now with motor. I am not real crasy about putting the pick up out of service because it is handy to take stuff to the dump and other things now and again