Interesting Air Intake Temp Readings - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting Air Intake Temp Readings

Old 04-01-2006, 01:47 AM
Post Fiend

jtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to all
Interesting Air Intake Temp Readings

I was out playing with the truck tonight, and decided to run some tests on the air intake temp vs ambient temp with the Kwik filter, and came up with some interesting results. I know this has been done before, but I was still curious to see for myself, and there's more -- keep reading.

So, I hooked up my Predator, which has live streaming data, and went to select the Air Intake Temp, but also noticed that it could read the Manifold Air Temp. I knew there was an air temp sensor in there (the manifold - aka Y-pipe) because I saw it in there when I was doing my turbo mods. I selected to have both of them displayed and went out for some test runs. First odd thing I noticed is that the Air Intake sensor reads in F, and the Manifold Intake Temp reads in C.

I drove around for about an hour, with a mix of in town and highway driving. My results for the Air Intake temp compared to ambient were pretty much on par with what others had seen. They were about 8-10 degrees hotter than ambient at anything above 35-40 MPH. Less than that speed and the Air Intake temps were around 15 degrees warmer. It was about 55-60 degrees outside.

Now, the really interesting part to me was the temp of the air in the manifold (y-pipe), directly before it goes into the engine. The results suprised me, as the temps in town were lower. On the highway, the manifold air temps were in the 116-120* C range. But in town, they were in the 108-114* C range.

So, even though the engine is pulling in hotter air in town, it is actually cooler when it goes into the engine than the air that is going into the motor on the highway. I believe this is purely a result of boost. Around town, I'm usually under 5-6 psi, but out on the highway it hovers between 6-10 psi of boost. It's the higher boost pressures and resultant hotter air. To verify this, I did a hard run up to 70 MPH from about 20 MPH and saw the manifold air temp jump up to about 140* C (284* F).

I'm not really trying to draw any conclusions by this, but found it interesting an figured I would share it with you all. But, if I had to draw a conclusion, it would be that the temp of the air going into the engine is less affected by the temp of the incoming air, and it's the amount of boost pressure & resultant heat from compressing the air that affects the temp of the air going into the engine.

To me, it's pretty amazing that so much heat is generated from compressing the air -- increases of nearly 200* F under elevated boost conditions.

JT
Old 04-01-2006, 05:13 AM
Postmaster

ryaneverk2 has a great reputation on FTE.ryaneverk2 has a great reputation on FTE.ryaneverk2 has a great reputation on FTE.ryaneverk2 has a great reputation on FTE.ryaneverk2 has a great reputation on FTE.
Interesting stuff. Thanks for doing the testing and sharing your results, JT.
Old 04-01-2006, 07:21 AM
Postmaster

PSNut is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Geez JT! Think i'm going to need that DPS water/meth injection system now!

Oh Honey...JT did some testing and i need that $600 system...OK?
Old 04-01-2006, 08:38 AM
Post Fiend

Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
Also the IAT sensor is mounted POST intercooler. So that turbo can get the air really cookin'.
Great info, thanks for sharing. Makes me want to go out and try it on mine. It's raining today and everything will be wet, including the outside surface of the intercooler. And my wife will be away at a meeting for a few hours.
Old 04-01-2006, 08:44 AM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
Also the IAT sensor is mounted POST intercooler. So that turbo can get the air really cookin'.
Of course u mean the
MAT ( Manifold Air Temp)sensor Kwik. The IAT being mounted pre intercooler.
Nut
Old 04-01-2006, 09:01 AM
Post Fiend

Tenn01PSD350 has much to be proud ofTenn01PSD350 has much to be proud ofTenn01PSD350 has much to be proud ofTenn01PSD350 has much to be proud ofTenn01PSD350 has much to be proud ofTenn01PSD350 has much to be proud ofTenn01PSD350 has much to be proud ofTenn01PSD350 has much to be proud ofTenn01PSD350 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtharvey
So, even though the engine is pulling in hotter air in town, it is actually cooler when it goes into the engine than the air that is going into the motor on the highway. I believe this is purely a result of boost.

I'm not really trying to draw any conclusions by this, but found it interesting an figured I would share it with you all. But, if I had to draw a conclusion, it would be that the temp of the air going into the engine is less affected by the temp of the incoming air, and it's the amount of boost pressure & resultant heat from compressing the air that affects the temp of the air going into the engine.

To me, it's pretty amazing that so much heat is generated from compressing the air -- increases of nearly 200* F under elevated boost conditions.

JT
You are correct sir. I know this from when I worked in the SCUBA Locker in the service. When we filled or "jammed" the tanks with breathing air, the air temps would rise in direct proportion to the pressure. Ambient air temps were a much smaller factor than one would have expected in the final jammed air temps, with end filled temps being very similar.

And these results were found with your newly installed 6.blow intercooler right? If so, stockers could expect even higher temps for the same psi due to the supposed less efficient intercooler. This translates into less potential as hot air is less dense containing less oxygen by volume. I would like to verify this with my stock system but do not have the equipment to do it.

On Edit: We are talking about Charles Law. For those interested, you gould go here and plug in some theoretical numbers just to see how much difference a few degrees here and there has on the volume/potential of the air going into the cylinders. 20 PSI only equals 20PSI when the compressed air is the same temp. That's right, a more efficient/cooler turbocharging system yields more HP potential. The rest must be addressed by the PCM such as timing and fuel.

Last edited by Tenn01PSD350; 04-01-2006 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:23 AM
Posting Guru

CAT_man_963 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yea can you imagine the temperatures on the OBS trucks with NO intercooler??

Interesting stuff JT!! Looks like I'll be looking for a 6.blow cooler, or better....
Old 04-01-2006, 09:34 AM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT_man_963
Yea can you imagine the temperatures on the OBS trucks with NO intercooler??

Interesting stuff JT!! Looks like I'll be looking for a 6.blow cooler, or better....
I saw one for about $800 at DPP, direct replacement for our I/C...beats Banks
$1250 I/C.
Nut
Old 04-01-2006, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

monsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputation
I would think it would be a combination of the boost heating the air as we all know that it does (go feel the tank on your air compressor right after the motor shuts off even on a cold day they will warm up considerably) and the fact that the faster your going, or the harder your pushing the truck the higher your EGTs go and a certian amount of that is going to transfer through the the turbo from the hot side to the cool side I mean I know it's no where near the 900+ degrees of the exhaust temp but metal of all types does transfer heat. something that might be interesting to do would be put a temp sensor pre intercooler and see how much that is really cooling it down. I mean if your running as high as 284deg post intercooler just how hot is that air coming out oof the turbo?
Old 04-01-2006, 09:41 AM
Post Fiend

jtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenn01PSD350
And these results were found with your newly installed 6.blow intercooler right?
Yes, this was all done with the 6.0 intercooler. Start checking ebay for them. I'm into mine for less than $200. I'm sure that the stock 6.0 I/C is not as efficient or cools as well as say a Banks or a Hypermax, but the price sure is a lot better.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

monsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputation
Well there is a 6.0 intercooler on ebay right now comes off later today and it's at $80 +$40 shipping I was watching it for myself but I had to order some other parts for the race truck so can't afford it myself this week so anyone interested it's ebay auction # 8050980714
Old 04-01-2006, 09:45 AM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtharvey
Yes, this was all done with the 6.0 intercooler. Start checking ebay for them. I'm into mine for less than $200. I'm sure that the stock 6.0 I/C is not as efficient or cools as well as say a Banks or a Hypermax, but the price sure is a lot better.
$200 for a 6.0 I/C and $600 for a water/meth system(running water only) is $800 and much COOLER than the Banks sytem alone for $1250.
Nut
Old 04-01-2006, 09:47 AM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterbaby
Well there is a 6.0 intercooler on ebay right now comes off later today and it's at $80 +$40 shipping I was watching it for myself but I had to order some other parts for the race truck so can't afford it myself this week so anyone interested it's ebay auction # 8050980714
Thanks Moster! gonna check it out.
Nut
Old 04-01-2006, 09:50 AM
Postmaster

Wondering what kind of hassles to install that unit? Looks nice.

Nut
Old 04-01-2006, 10:09 AM
Post Fiend

It's not that bad. It's not as easy as an air filter change, but it's not impossible. Snag that I/C, and I'll get you through the rest.