Modulars In Older Trucks - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

Modulars In Older Trucks

Old 05-16-2006, 09:46 PM
captain p4
Post Fiend
captain p4 has much to be proud ofcaptain p4 has much to be proud ofcaptain p4 has much to be proud ofcaptain p4 has much to be proud ofcaptain p4 has much to be proud ofcaptain p4 has much to be proud ofcaptain p4 has much to be proud ofcaptain p4 has much to be proud ofcaptain p4 has much to be proud of
The 4v is (from an install point of view) the same as a 2v, except its a little bit bigger physically (i think).

The problems with the 3v stem from a more integrated computer system that relies on many things within the vehicle itself to function properly. If you had a complete running, working vehicle to take a 3v out of and whatever parts you needed from it then you'd be on your way.

Old 05-16-2006, 10:29 PM
Krewat
Super Moderator
Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
Hey, don't put my name in lights like that, I'm no expert - see my signature

Old 05-16-2006, 10:33 PM
Krewat
Super Moderator
Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
To answer socalfurnow's question, I think that the 4-valve is easier, because, I think, the second intake valve gets air through a mechanical setup. The 3-valve's second intake valve gets air only when the computer says so. To include the 3-valve computer involves lots of shortcuts or cheats to get it to believe "all is well" .... not worth the effort.

Old 05-16-2006, 11:03 PM
socalfurnow
Senior User
socalfurnow is starting off with a positive reputation.
right on

thanks for the replies. I see how a comp controlled valve could have excellent beefits but is also dependent on the whole input system to function properly. Hot rodding will be done by computers only in the future ? How long before we see a prius with custom tune ? I've heard good things about electric engines and torque.

Old 05-16-2006, 11:45 PM
Krewat
Super Moderator
The future is here (computers controlling hot-rods).

The hybrids have already been "hacked" or "modded" - they plug them into the "grid" and charge the batteries... giving them more power to use before the gas engine kicks in.

Old 05-17-2006, 07:43 AM
Dave Severson
Posting Guru
Dave Severson is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Yup, I'm going with mod motors in everything after this. My dyno guy showed me the sheet and the Mustang that made it. It has a ProCharger blower on it with 20 pounds of boost, forged crank and H-beam rods with the IP heads and some porting work. It makes 537 horsepower at the rear wheels and with the 6 speed tranny gets 28 mpg!!! Much as I like my FE and Big Block Fords, hard to argue with those numbers!!!!!

Old 06-22-2006, 03:46 PM
Jetman
Senior User
Jetman is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have a fully equipped 1996 crown victoria police interceptor with 40K mile that was bumped on the passenger side rear. I'm planning to use the engine, trans, rear end, seats and anything else on it to buildup my 1951 F1. Any advise on the build up would be appreciated.

Old 06-22-2006, 04:10 PM
terrys
New User
terrys is starting off with a positive reputation.
4.6 Swap

Strip as much as you can from the car including all relays, wires etc. Buy a really good wiring diagram (try Helms)and spend time understanding the systems. If possible try and retain some exhaust back pressure when building the exhaust system (the computer expects it) One of the elements that will provide some issues will be the air intake. I don't know of anyone who builds one for a confined engine compartment. I used 3" exhaust pipe - bent appropriately - to build mine and mounted the stock air cleaner on the passenger side of the engine. Although I used two inline pumps for fuel - low and high pressure, a better solution would be to either modify your fuel tank to accept an intank pump or install a fuel tank that has the pupmp already in it. The fuel pressure requirements are standard ford -around 40-45 PSI at the engine. Finally, do the initial installation as close to stock as possible and plan on updates after you have it working well.

Old 06-22-2006, 08:10 PM
effie1
Freshman User
effie1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am considering a very similar set up for my 49 F1. I can get a rolled 97 CVPI with 47k miles complete for a cheap price. I have a Marauder with the DOHC 4V motor and frankly it kicks **** and I kow have a great appreciation for the Mod motors.

Perhaps we should compile our notes and see if we can do this together via the net. It may make the challenge go more smoothly.

I think the main challenges will be the fuel delivery and eliminating the factory gauges. I have read comments about re-using the donor steering column. Anyone care to elaborate why? The other issue is getting a floor shift for the automatic. Does lokar make something for these auto's.

Anyway I would like to encourage all of us to work together and see what we can come up with.

Keith

Old 06-23-2006, 12:59 AM
Jetman
Senior User
Thanks Terry, I will work on understanding the wiring system. Keith I don't have to much information about the steering swaps, but that's worth looking into as well. I will be glad to share as much as I gain from this project. I plan to take slow step by step and photo each process.

Fred

Old 06-23-2006, 10:14 AM
terrys
New User
The 4 cam is a pretty wide engine so good luck with space. I am also unsure of when computer controlled anti theft systems became standard in these cars (special keys with integrated chips). In terms of eliminating gauges, this is not a problem as the senders for both oil and water are separate from the computer input systems. In both engines (this is a guess but probably similar to my own) the water gauge sender is on the top right and the oil input comes from the filter area. The interesting thing about the swap is that most supprt sensor systems are a total package with the engine wiring bundle and a majority of the wires are contained in the engine harness and exit through three multi pin connectors - serving power, gauges etc. When I pulled my second 4.6, all of the wiring and sensors were left intact and simply carefully placed away from any lift mechanisms. I don't see the requirement to use the steering column unless you wish to retain easy speed control, horn and light hook ups. I resolved the extra loads for ignition, HEGOs etc by using a series of relays to split loads and virtually eliminated excess load on the stock ignition. I will pass more info as the time passes - keep on trucking!

Last edited by terrys; 06-23-2006 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:52 PM
Jetman
Senior User
I understand that you were able to easily connect the wiring from the donor vehicle to your gauges and accessories in your vehicle ? Does the original front suspension system in a 51 F1 work okay with the 4.6 swap?

Old 06-26-2006, 08:45 AM
terrys
New User
If you have not changed to 12 volts,the positive ground six volt system creates a couple of issues. All gauges need to be fed from a separate power source that is "close to 6-7volts. I used a part from a mid 70's Chrysler's gauges to power mine ( not so much a resistor but a low amp voltage reducer). If you install the stock oil px sender it should work well, the temp gauge works perfectly - in reverse! I still use the temp but have ithe sender installed in the rad tank, I use an aftermarket unit installed in the dash for more reliable reading. Fuel level works well on the same system (mine has been working for 10 years). The ammeter will work but should not be used as it is designed for a low amp system. In terms of wiring, I removed the entire system and used the donor harness. This is a lot of work but it provides awesome growth potential. You do not have to do this if your system is sound but you will need to make allowances for extra power consumption. That is why I use relays between my stock ignition switch and the new system. There are a ton of extra circuits that need to be identified and removed from the stock harness - this takes time. However, I can plug in a stock analyzer for my system.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:28 AM
56-pickupman
Freshman User
56-pickupman is starting off with a positive reputation.
56 F-100

I have a lot of questions on this swap. I got a wrecked 03 Navigator with a 5.4 DOHC 46,000 mi. and I want to put this in a 56 F-100. The main problem is the Ecm and wiring, I would to find someone who could tell me how to make a stand alone harness. I did find a place that would rework the computer and remove the security part of it for 350.00 and they have a harness for about another 800-900.00. The security part of the computer is why they are saying to use the steering colum, the chipped key. I don't have a key for the Navigator. I would appreiate any help or vendor that could help with the wiring harness and computer.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:33 AM
galaxie641
Postmaster
galaxie641 has a very good reputation on FTE.galaxie641 has a very good reputation on FTE.galaxie641 has a very good reputation on FTE.galaxie641 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I'd suggest starting a new thread for your swap since this one is 2.5 years old and check out:

Home of the Carbureted Modular Engine Parts!

They may have some of the stuff you need. A lot of the DOHC swaps I have seen the cluster is also used to get around the PATS system problem as well as other comp. problems.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Modulars In Older Trucks

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.