1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

High Range Transmission Sensor!!!! PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Old 03-24-2006, 10:49 AM
1997BADASFORD
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation High Range Transmission Sensor!!!! PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Anyone know what that does or what it can hurt? I am having a knocking noise when it shift down going up a hill. It makes a knocking, grinding noise and then shift down. The motor raises up on one side about 1 1/2" when I mash the throttle. I think the motor mount bushing is bad, but I have not had time to check it out. Can someone please advise a new member and a new 4X4 owner for the first time on this. Thank you in advance.

1. When I start off, is jumps. Makes a knock noise and drives off. Friends say that it is the rear end. I get under the truck and grab the drive shaft but it does not move or shake. It almost feels as if it is coming from the transfer/transmission area.

2. When I go up a hill, it sorta grinds or rubbs something and either does this until I let off of the gas, or press it harder. It has no trouble pulling and will fly down the road. I took it off road the other day and it is awesome in mud. Never had to put it in four wheel drive. I mean mud up to the top of the 31" inch tires I have on it and it was nothing to the truck.

3. I have that sensor that I spoke of in the 1st message. High Range Transmission is what the man @ Autozone showed me on the reader. What does that mean? Is that nothing, or is that big?

4. Here are the spec's on my truck.......1997 Ford F150 Extended cab, 135K miles and you could EAT off of the motor. I mean I would almost lick it, it is that clean. It has a K&N cold air intake on it. That was on it already, I don't think those things do that much anyway. Ram Air hood and other than that, it is factory. Good solid truck.

Old 03-24-2006, 11:25 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forum

If the engine moves that much when you hit the throttle you really need to check the motor mounts first before anything else.
For the jumping when you take off, quite likely the slip yoke on the driveshaft, where it goes into the back of the transfer case, is probably the problem. Sometimes just greasing the splines inside the slip yoke will cure it, at least temporarily.
I have no idea what a High Range Transmission sensor is. Do you have the actual code that was retrieved and not just the description?

Old 03-27-2006, 05:37 AM
1997BADASFORD
New User
Code

The code was P0708. That was the discription it gave me!

Old 03-27-2006, 06:29 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 868 Likes on 720 Posts
Originally Posted by 1997BADASFORD
The code was P0708. That was the discription it gave me!
There's no such thing as a "High Range Transmission" sensor....

P0708 refers to the Transmission Range (TR) or Digital Transmission Range (DTR) sensor. That is the sensor, mounted on the tranny where the shift cable attaches. It reads the shift lever position and reports that position back to the computer so the computer can determine what drive strategy to run. Other features in the switch include the backup lamp circuit and the starter interlock for Park/Neutral, neither of which appear to be at issue currently.

Do get the motor mount issue resolved. It may be causing the wiring harness to flex or to be damaged resulting in the pulled code.

Of couse, mud might have gotten into the connector....

Steve

Old 03-27-2006, 06:59 AM
1997BADASFORD
New User
Exclamation Sensor

I have not fixed the motor mount. I am a lil new to the whole fixing a truck thing. This may be stupid, but do I have to pul the engine for that? Could it just be the bushing? The check that the mechanic ran stated this "P0708 - Transmission Sensor - High Range" I have fixed the hard shifting by adding some Skunk Oil from the Ford place in the Tranny. It helped a bit, but when I am going up a hill and it want to down shift out of OD, it bounces and knocks until I either accellarate or decellarate. Thanks for your help.

Search this Thread