Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dallbright
You're getting me fired up!
Glad I was able to help!!!

Old 01-11-2007, 05:56 AM
gomersinner
Senior User
Anyone have any updates? I haven't been able to find any news lately. I'll be printing up some flyers this morning and hitting some of the shops around me.

I checked with SEMA and there are more bills in the works: http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?ID=61857

CRAP!! It PASSED!!

http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A00107&sh=t

BUT if it's attached to the bumper, you're okay.

Last edited by gomersinner; 01-11-2007 at 06:21 AM.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:19 AM
gomersinner
Senior User
please delete

Last edited by gomersinner; 01-11-2007 at 06:21 AM.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:11 AM
Silverdawg
Junior User
It looks like the bill is still in Committee. There's no indication that there has bee an assembly vote on it yet. I'm hoping everybody is still writing their reps and passing out fliers to anyone they see with a brush guard.

Well, i guess I'll be forking over a few thousand for one of these...

Technically the pushbar is attached to the bumper. It's just NOT the factory bumper.

I hate NY.

Last edited by Silverdawg; 01-11-2007 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Further information from NYS Legislature
Old 01-11-2007, 07:16 AM
Silverdawg
Junior User
Anybody have recommendations on aftermarket steel bumpers with integral brushguards? Preferably ones with mounting tongs for big off road lights. (I have 4 super off-roaders to accommodate).

I'll remove it for the inspection, but I'm going to continue to run with my brush guard until I get a ticket. Then the big steel goes on.

"If you can't beat them, buy a bigger stick" - Unknown

Why does SEMA keep claiming they stopped this bill? It's not dead until it's no longer on the transportation committee's agenda.

Also, I'm noting that there isn't an accompanying State Senate bill on this issue. I must be mistaken in thinking that in order for a bill to be passed into law that both houses of the legislature need to have voted on it?

</PRE>

Last edited by Silverdawg; 01-11-2007 at 07:58 AM.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:27 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Looks like we need to step it up again everyone. We can't have this stupid bill pass. Everyone needs to get the word out again and keep pressure on the committee to NOT pass this. All contact information is in this thread.

Silverdawg - ARB, Warn, and Buckstop all come with light mounting tabs already on their bumper/grill guards. All seem to make a quality product at least the ones that I have been looking at for my SD.

Old 01-11-2007, 02:54 PM
gomersinner
Senior User
Originally Posted by Silverdawg
Anybody have recommendations on aftermarket steel bumpers with integral brushguards? Preferably ones with mounting tongs for big off road lights. (I have 4 super off-roaders to accommodate).
I'll be adding one to my own truck, too. I had wanted to eliminate the bumper for a basket style guard. With decent fabrication skills, any one of us can emulate one of the fancy bumpers put out by Hansen or Buckstop or Fab Fours.

I'll remove it for the inspection, but I'm going to continue to run with my brush guard until I get a ticket. Then the big steel goes on.

"If you can't beat them, buy a bigger stick" - Unknown
And it'll be a big *** bumper. Just if you build one of your own, don't try and sell it unless you're confident that it'll meet federal guidelines regarding front protection. I'll make one for myself and then for one for each of my friends who wants one.

Why does SEMA keep claiming they stopped this bill? It's not dead until it's no longer on the transportation committee's agenda.
They're usually our staunchest supporter. After all, we support the aftermarket, no? They'd like us to think that they have our backs on this, even if they may have missed the ten ring on this.

Also, I'm noting that there isn't an accompanying State Senate bill on this issue. I must be mistaken in thinking that in order for a bill to be passed into law that both houses of the legislature need to have voted on it?
There doesn't need to be; it only has to pass both houses. Even if it does become a law, laws have expiration dates. This gives us the opportunity to voice our not inconsiderable displeasure with our representatives and other public servants by removing them during election years and subsequently voting out anyone who doesn't cooperate.

Also, I have a question. Is the list of members on that flier up to date? I'll be downloading it in the morning and printing up a copy to take to work so I can make more copies. There are a few places around here I can take this to and place it in their windows.

Last edited by gomersinner; 01-11-2007 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:27 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by gomersinner
With decent fabrication skills, any one of us can emulate one of the fancy bumpers put out by Hansen or Buckstop or Fab Fours.
This is true, but as you said you have to have decent fabrication skills, have the tools (welder, bender, etc.), and have the time which not all of have. I for one don't have any of that. If I were to undertake a bumper project for my SD, it would cost me more to fab one then to buy one (between purchasing the tools, material, making mistakes, and all the time). Now I would consider fabbing one for my next wheeling rig as that is going to be beater and I won't care about body damage and redo a bumper again and again to learn from.

Originally Posted by gomersinner
Also, I have a question. Is the list of members on that flier up to date? I'll be downloading it in the morning and printing up a copy to take to work so I can make more copies. There are a few places around here I can take this to and place it in their windows.
AFAIK it is up-to-date. I have not heard of any changes in the committee.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:42 PM
Ranger73
Senior User
Now i am no political scientist , however our (truck owners) defense of such a bill would have to obviously be the fact that our libirties allow us to put any dam thing that we want on the front of our trucks. And if i want to buy a vehicle that is safer than you have , well that is also my right.Now most of us put these bull bars and brush guards of for asthetics, however there are some that require them.( i have a spare tire mount mounted to my chasis that holds the tire in front of my grille) But where do they (the all controling DEMOCRACY) get off telling me and you that i cant attach a few pieces of metal to my rig.

well this is where they say or rather ask you...."why should your right allow you to put a weopon on the front of your vehicle, where another citizens rights to saftey are infringed"

Now i didnt read the whole thread and i probabkly didnt word this to well but i thnk you guys can relate to my rant

Old 01-24-2007, 09:13 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Ranger - we all know what you mean. Unfortunately the way our government works you have to let them know how you feel about things or else they will just go ahead and do what they think is in the best interest for us. So get in contact with the committee members and let them know to vote against this bill. It is the only way we will defeat this bill.

Old 01-25-2007, 03:49 AM
gomersinner
Senior User
And this ain't a democracy but the civics lesson is better left to another thread.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:19 AM
Silverdawg
Junior User
I checked on the NYS Assembly page and there HAVE been significant changes to the transportation committee membership. I'm sorry to say but there are a LOT more members from the 5 boroughs then there were last year! There are less members from the rural areas of the state who might be more understanding of the off-road community!

Also, this IS A NEW BILL. It adds the refinement of chassis attachment. SEMA might be resting on it's laurals after helping squash the first one.

I'm working on a new flier now.

Old 01-25-2007, 12:33 PM
MuddyAxles
Elder User
Politics = pessimism for me.

In the past I have personally written dozens of letters to State and Federal legislators on a wide variety of subjects. On an individual basis, I honestly believe that tactic does not work anymore. Of the literally dozens of letters mailed, NEVER have I received a reply that said, "Y'know, that IS a problem and I am going to do ...blah...blah...blah. I don't even get the blah...blah...blah. Frequently they try to tell me the new or proposed legislation is good for us because (you fill in the blank). Never has there been agreement, sympathetic or otherwise, from politicians of either persuasion.

It is sad to say that our individual efforts won't make a bit of difference.

Possibly, if we can show our group has an active membership and carrys some clout, we can get some satisfaction on this from them as a group. I don't know.

But the days of the individual voter having a heart-to-heart with a politician and getting results.........GONE! Sorry, we pee'd away the right and opportunity to have that after too many years of indifference. I wonder if we'll ever regain that kind of government. Time will tell.

Old 01-25-2007, 12:55 PM
Silverdawg
Junior User
MuddyAxles - I hear ya! The money floating around Albany is too thick and it gets stuck in their ears. The approach I've taken has been this -

Find other people with trucks that have pushbars. Just say hi... introduce yourself. Ask some truck questions - you already have a common interest. Hand them the brochure and tell them what's going on. I've been doing this around town and it's surprising who's feathers you can ruffle in the process. Just before the holidays, I managed to have a nice conversation with a guy inthe Wal-mart parking lot. He had a new Ram 2500 with a big chrome pushbar, so I started my shpeel. About twenty minutes later, the chairman of the county GOP, who was very upset that Albany wanted to take the Smittybilt off his Ram, thanked me for warning him. I'm pretty sure he personally discussed the issue with his hunting buddy on the transportation committee. Our town police chief also didn't much like the lack of exemptions for his cruisers. Nor did my boss, who tends to throw money into election campaigns when he's not buying a new quad or something.
Individuals voicing their disproval to assembly people doesn't have an effect - I agree. But a few of those a day for a few weeks sends up red flags. Especially when they're the local government and businesses people that the state pols go to for support and money.

Just spread the message and be friendly about it.

Silverdawg

P.S. - New updated handout is on the way to Ronin007

Old 01-27-2007, 04:27 PM
MuddyAxles
Elder User
you've got me thinking...

Well, you've got me thinking....maybe I'll get me some flyers just to be ready in case the opportunity arises.

Thanks,

Dave

Quick Reply: URGENT: NY bill to ban Grill Guards/Brush Guards