New York Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: tiny1

URGENT: NY bill to ban Grill Guards/Brush Guards

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 11:47 AM
Jdenninger
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ang, would you mind fowarding that letter from aaron to me.

Old 03-24-2006, 12:05 PM
cowlady
Elder User
Ronin - I'll pray for your Dad. I'm sorry to hear he has health issues. I kn ow how hard it is ti see a parent sick - trust me. Don't worry about the G2G.
JD - soon as I get it I'll fwd it. YOU, my dear friend, need to get on the other boards you belong to & alert them! I only belong to 1 other truck site - sorta - but I know of a few & will post there too.
Ronin - what #'s for the New York Assembly Transportation Committee? Are they #'s in your orig post?
jason - you just need to be sincere, non threatening (except threats to leave the state - thta's permissible - Cowlady says so!) & explain why brush guards should be allowed. Point to the fact the Feds don't seem to mind/care, how it prevents more serious injury in deer/animal collisions & how we use them when off roading which as far as I know is still legal IF DONE IN APPROVED AREAS. Unfortunately for us in NY that means driving to PA but hey - let PA collect our $$$$ when we buy food, lodging, gas, etc! More $ NY loses out on. Oh wait - according to NYS law, when we shop ANYWHERE on the planet, we're SUPPOSED TO SEND THE APPROPRIATE AMOUNT OF SALES TAX BACK TO NYS! Again, I am serious! They can kiss my skid plates on that issue! If I had the time, I'd drive to PA for EVERYTHING I need.
Guys - we have to move fast on this. Let's kick some ideas around.

Old 03-24-2006, 12:23 PM
Jdenninger
Elder User
already posted it on bronco9.com's forums. will post on the others when i get home later and have a high speed connection. online have dialup in the office

Old 03-24-2006, 12:26 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Thanks Ang. I do want to meet up with everyone, but as you know family comes first.

Yes, all of the New York Assembly Transportation Committee phone numbers are in the original post and I posted another link for NYS Assembly members that are suppose to represent your interests. When you go to that link, click on your Assembly member's name and it will take you to their contact information.

I am trying to get some venders involved with this as they would have a vested interest in this fight too. If anyone knows of vendors, clubs, other forums to contact do it. The more we can get the word out the better. If we can flood these people with "NO" to the bill the better!!

Old 03-24-2006, 02:48 PM
CAFordDude
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe you guys should put this picture in all your letters and ask if they have to remove theirs?

Just a thought...

Old 03-24-2006, 03:02 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Update

Good one Aaron!!! The local police here have a Jeep Grand with a full grill guard on it. Guess that would have to go.

I have sent email to ARB, Warn, and a large Rover vendor I deal with in NYS for their assistance in this cause. The president of ARB-USA replied back to me and is checking with HQ in Australia for help on this. Australia has the exact same bill there that they are dealing with so they definitely have a vested interest in our cause.

Thanks everyone for jumping in and helping on this. I hope we win this otherwise I will see a lot of or or going on around NYS!!!

Old 03-24-2006, 03:59 PM
Jdenninger
Elder User
ok, just posted this on other Ford sites and izook .com (because i own a suzuki samarai)

Old 03-24-2006, 05:35 PM
captchas
guess my nj taged truck will be illegal in warwick ny 2 miles away. and those cops will write any thing even 2 mph over to their own mothers. if it has nj tags

Old 03-24-2006, 05:47 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
JD - Didn't realize you had a zuk!! I have been considering getting one to wheel now that the wife won't let me wheel the Rover anymore.

Charlie - Don't you love the way that cops pick on out of towners especially when you are out of state?

Old 03-24-2006, 07:25 PM
captchas
esp. in warwick ny. and i live in vernon nj, both boarder towns.
i have a guard only because of the darn deer around us. and the 500 cost of a new one .
"thats times 4 in 1 year" plus my dad is in warwick's nurseing home so i'm over at least 1 time a day some times more. right though the middle of town.
worst cops any ware that i know of. even gave my one cuzin a nj state cop a hard time over the legality of the factory rear tinted windows on my truck when he rode with me one time and i got pulled over for them. your a nj your siits no good here. you packing?

Old 03-24-2006, 09:37 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Charlie - sorry to hear about your Dad. I hope he is doing well. My Dad is battling cancer and sciatica right now. We spend a lot of time transporting him for doctor appointments. I can't imagine hassling with cops everytime we are taking him to the doctors. Best of luck to you.

Old 03-25-2006, 02:17 AM
captchas
Unhappy

thank you. he's ok just old and to much for me to handle .
i have grille gaurds and headlamp guards on now after 3 chrome bumpers got bent up by deer . what is it with ny of late. so many b.s. laws. so many nastie and i do mean that cops in local departments.
many of us use grille gaurds for the same reason as me. reduceing cost of repair from filmsee bumpers. not because of the height of our stock height trucks.
i'm going to be writting some heavy letters today to ny polits. just to say hay way to much. or are you going to be like massasuckits. were you can't even change the exhaust to a louder one any more.

i drive into and though ny many times every day. as to get bergen county from sussex county.i have to drive into warwick. to get into upper passic county. by green wood lake. back into orange county. into rockland county then into bergen county.

laws such as this would open and does allready open me to 4 n.y. towns with cops always looking for non ny state taged vechicles. that are out right badly known don't do any thing wrong in them.

Old 03-25-2006, 05:23 AM
bterry
Elder User
Originally Posted by Ronin007
Good one Aaron!!! The local police here have a Jeep Grand with a full grill guard on it. Guess that would have to go.
Probably not, cops are almost always exempt from laws. Take seat belts and cell phones for example - not illegal for cops. Even if they forget to exclude the cops, it wouldn't matter as they get to do whatever they want.

Maybe they should outlaw snow plows too. I own 3 plow trucks and can assure you they'll do more damage than a brush guard.

Somebody please send me thier letter to start with.

Last edited by bterry; 03-25-2006 at 06:10 AM.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:49 AM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Charlie - yeah I hear you. The stock one on my Range Rover has held good considering the three deer hits and wheeling abuse. It may not be pretty now, but it serves the purpose well. According to the way this law is written even though it is a factory installed guard it would have to go. I have been considering putting one on the SD now that I drive that everyday and on the same roads where I hit those deer last year, but I am waiting for funds to loosen up a bit first. Now I might not be able to do it at all.

Barr - I know what you mean about the cops being exempt. I see them all the time on their cell phones and with no seatbelts. It really ticks me off. Don't even say that about snowplows as they might. I figure they will go after tow mirrors first because of the hazard they present to pedestrians (a main focus of this bill). I can't tell you how many times I have almost taken out a college kid that is being smart while jay walking. Watching them ducking from the mirrors is sweet, but the reason why I think the politicians will go after those next.

Hopefully Ang has a letter in the works for us. I have to work on my taxes this weekend otherwise I would draft something up (taken a short break so I thought I would jump on here ).

Old 03-25-2006, 03:55 PM
cowlady
Elder User
Ok guys - listen up. We need to contact ALL the brush guard manufacturers & let them know about this. They won't like the idea of their products being banned in NY because it leaves the door open for other states to do likewise. I'm sure they put a LOT of R&D into their products & anything that will decrease sales is a bad THING.
I'll start getting the contact info but 1 letter from me alone won't matter. WE ALL NEED TO WRITE A LETTER!!!!! Remember - there's strength in numbers! The letters need to be individual too - no paste/copy or these companies will think I'm the only 1 writing. Don't worry - you don't have to be William Shakespeare - just voice your concerns. Ok - gotta run & get the list.

Quick Reply: URGENT: NY bill to ban Grill Guards/Brush Guards