Fuel Tank Selector Valve

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 02:34 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 227 Likes on 177 Posts
1986 and maybe the 1985 had a filter inside and some of the 1986s also had a filter inline on the frame.
The 1987 did not have the filter inside the valve body.
I do not know if you can still buy one with a filter inside. If you have the filter on the frame I do not think I would worry about the valve not having a filter in it. You also have a filter (sock) at the bottom of the in the tank fuel pumps.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:18 PM
200mphcobra
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks again Subford, your explanations on troubleshooting the fuel system on this website has been very helpful in solving my problem. I have discovered that my rear tank pump is not working, and this is how my issues started. I will put a filter in-line before the pump to catch any debris and go with the cheaper selector valve.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:17 PM
EPNCSU2006
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Is there an easy way to tell the difference between a drawing number and a part number?

Old 09-03-2009, 05:31 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by EPNCSU2006
Is there an easy way to tell the difference between a drawing number and a part number?
The part number most of the time has a "Z" just before the base part number and he posted one with an "A" so this told me it was a Engineering Drawing Number for the part.
The Ford dealer parts man can cross the Engineering Drawing Number to the Part Number. I think they do this to keep from giving out the part number for some reason.

Old 09-12-2009, 01:12 PM
Magnums78
New User
I noticed this tread started some time ago, but I'm now having issues and I've read all 4 pages of this tread and would like to clarify....but first- 1989 F350 xlt club cab, 460 (7.3 liter) 4x4. I just bought it less than a year ago, needs paint, but has less than 110,000 miles, it was sitting for awhile-owner told me 6 months, I'm guessing at least a year. The truck wont run off the rear tank, I've replaced the internal fuel pump, as well as the reservoir on the frame.
Does the following quote apply?

Originally Posted by subford
The motorized electric fuel pump selector valve/gauge was not used on the 302 or 351 in 86-87 that the fuse position in question was used for. It was just used on the 460 and Diesel trucks but maybe a different part on the Diesel trucks.
Also, I'd like to make sure I have the flow path correct.... 2 tanks, each with a low pressure pump, feed into the reservoir which also returns unused fuel back to the tanks. The reservoir then goes into the inline filter, then to the high pressure pump. This HP pump then into the charging assembly...pressure regulator...fuel manifold then injectors. Is this basically correct?
Of course, there's an inertia switch, and a dash mounted tank switch. I'm thinking the dash mounted tank switch is the above quoted selector valve/gauge?

Anyway, if the low pressure pump in the tank, and the reservoir mounted on the frame have both been changed, whats next????

Old 09-12-2009, 02:11 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Magnums78
Does the following quote apply?
No it does not.
Also, I'd like to make sure I have the flow path correct.... 2 tanks, each with a low pressure pump, feed into the reservoir which also returns unused fuel back to the tanks. The reservoir then goes into the inline filter, then to the high pressure pump. This HP pump then into the charging assembly...pressure regulator...fuel manifold then injectors. Is this basically correct?
YES
Diagram:

Of course, there's an inertia switch, and a dash mounted tank switch. I'm thinking the dash mounted tank switch is the above quoted selector valve/gauge?
No it is not.
Anyway, if the low pressure pump in the tank, and the reservoir mounted on the frame have both been changed, whats next????
Check to see if you have power to the pump, you may have a bad selector switch or wining to that tank:
Wiring Diagram, disregard the relay at the bottom, it was for someone wanting to change to the newer stile relay:

/

Old 09-13-2009, 10:53 AM
Magnums78
New User
Thanks for the diagrams Subford. I was thinking that the power supply was about the only thing left that could be causing my trouble.
Funny thing is...is that sometimes the rear tank will work, sometimes not. And it never fails, it doesnt when it's the only one full. I dont drive the truck often, so it's usually a month or two between trys.
I'll get out my multimeter and start checking the wires.
Thanks again.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:06 PM
blue85ford
New User
Question fuel selctor valve problems!!

yes i have a 1985 ford f-250 4x4 with a 460 engine is it possible for the fuel selector valve to cut the fuel off going down the road from the front tank? i am not touching the switch just ridding down the road

Old 09-23-2009, 07:37 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by blue85ford
yes i have a 1985 ford f-250 4x4 with a 460 engine is it possible for the fuel selector valve to cut the fuel off going down the road from the front tank? i am not touching the switch just ridding down the road
Would not think so. The motor has to run to switch tanks.
It is more likely the pump quit in the tank or the or the relay for the pump dropped out. Maybe from low oil pressure.

\

Old 10-08-2009, 03:26 PM
80skeys
Freshman User
Hello everyone,

I've got an '88 F150 302 5spd with a gasoline smell when standing around the vehicle. I looked underneath and located the culprit: there is visible gas on and around a black canister connected with fuel lines to the gas tanks. On the f150 forum I was told this is the "Dual Function Reservoir."

It should be noted also that my tank selection switch in the cab appears to be malfunctioning. It correctly shows the fuel usage for the front tank. However it fails to select the rear tank for drawing fuel.

I am thinking that replacing this reservoir should fix both issues. So I went to Checker auto parts and they told me they've got the reservoir listed as a "6port motorized fuel relay valve".

Is that the same thing? Am I safe in using this part to replace the one that's on the truck?

Regards,

80skeys

Old 10-08-2009, 04:13 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by 80skeys
I am thinking that replacing this reservoir should fix both issues. So I went to Checker auto parts and they told me they've got the reservoir listed as a "6port motorized fuel relay valve".

Is that the same thing?
No it is not. Your valve does not have any wires going to it. That one they are talking about is for the 460 engine and the Diesel engine.

Am I safe in using this part to replace the one that's on the truck?
No it will not work at all for you.

Sounds like you may have a bad rear fuel pump also.

Go to the link below (Ford E), you can only get this valve from a FORD dealer. The Ford Part number is in the link.
Ford E

Old 10-08-2009, 04:37 PM
80skeys
Freshman User
Go to the link below (Ford E), you can only get this valve from a FORD dealer. The Ford Part number is in the link.
Ford E
Thank you very much. Considering that this is a pressurized system, what do I need to do to replace this selector valve?

80skeys

Old 10-08-2009, 04:48 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
The tank pumps only put out 5-7 PSI so just pull the hair pins and then pull the hose off.
You may want the tank low on fuel at this point and a 5 Gal bucket ready for fuel to go into.

The pressurized system you talk of if from the High Pressure pump to the engine and you will not be in that area.

Your fuel system:

/

Old 10-09-2009, 10:04 AM
80skeys
Freshman User
someone on an f150 forum said I can avoid spillage by first taking off the fuse for the fuel pumps and running the truck until it stalls. Is he talking about the fuse for the high pressure fuel pump or the ones in the tanks? Do you concur?

The tank pumps only put out 5-7 PSI so just pull the hair pins and then pull the hose off.
You may want the tank low on fuel at this point and a 5 Gal bucket ready for fuel to go into.

The pressurized system you talk of if from the High Pressure pump to the engine and you will not be in that area.

/

Old 10-09-2009, 11:05 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
someone on an f150 forum said I can avoid spillage by first taking off the fuse for the fuel pumps and running the truck until it stalls. Is he talking about the fuse for the high pressure fuel pump or the ones in the tanks? Do you concur?
You have a high pressure check valve in the high pressure pump on the frame. If you are going to work on anything from the HP pump to the fuel pressure regulator (HP pump, fuel filter. FPR or injectors) then yes you have to release the fuel pressure.
But if it has been setting over night you will not have any pressure in that system either.
You do not have a fuse for the fuel system anyway so you will not be able to take a fuse out. On yours you would remove the fuel pump relay or unplug the Inertia switch before running it to get ride of the pressure.

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank Selector Valve