dual twin turbo???

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 01:17 AM
littleme13
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dual twin turbo???

was wondering if anyone has ever heard of or done this themselves. getting ready to start a turbo 460 and looking at all options at the moment.

thanks
tony

Old 03-23-2006, 07:43 AM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm building up a twin turbo 500cid stroker, with a pair of T04's.

The number of turbos depends on their size, flow rate, flow of the engine, rpm range, your desired power band, and how much fabrication you want to do.

Old 03-23-2006, 11:20 AM
PyroBob
Senior User
When you say dual twin, did you mean Quad turbo?

Old 03-23-2006, 01:12 PM
littleme13
Posting Guru
yes quad turbos like the ones from a import but bolt one to each sidejust wondering what the down sides to this would be then i could have great low end and high end

thanks tony

Old 03-23-2006, 09:15 PM
PyroBob
Senior User
It's quite possible, but so is driving a car with your feet...that doesn't mean either of them are the best way to do it . I would recommend picking up a book such as Corky Bell's Maximum Boost, This contains information on all the math and such needed to calulate things such as turbo sizing, flow, volume, and guestimate if the power will be in a useful range.

I presume you were thinking two small turbos to fire off idle, and two larger turbos for the top end. If it's truly what you want to consider, research is your best chance of success.

Old 03-23-2006, 11:41 PM
littleme13
Posting Guru
thats exactly what i was thinking and thank you for the info thats why i posted i wanna get as much info as possiable before i start. i wanna do it right the first time. i know there i will be a lot of bugs to work out but in the end it will be worth it.

thanks
tony

Old 04-19-2006, 04:13 PM
mr2medic
New User
it would actually be a twin sequential turbo setup. The only thing about them is they are very complex and hard to get setup correctly. Thats why a lot of people who modify imports that have a sequential turbo setup usually ditch it in favor of one larger turbo when they are trying to make a lot of power. Also with all the advances in turbo technology it is quite possible to have a turbo that spools quickly and still makes a lot of power at the top end.

Old 04-20-2006, 01:21 AM
littleme13
Posting Guru
thanks for that info and what i am looking to get is max boost right on take off or as close as possible. and still be able to spin the motor to between 4500 and 5k. i bought the truck which is an 85 350 crewcab dually with the intent of using it as a daily driver but with gas prices about to hit 4 dollars or so its very stupid to drive it back and forth to work and spend 20 dollars a day. so now it will become a hauling and toy truck. i dont care if it takes me 100$ to get my boat in the water just not to get me back and forth to work kinda defeats the purpose of goin.

Old 04-20-2006, 01:58 AM
PyroBob
Senior User
I don't think the design you were intending is a "dual sequential turbo setup", I think you simply mean to have 4 turbos.

I would definately recommend that book again, if you haven't had time to check it out. It will walk you through everything you should know, and show you how to determine, based on your needs, what type of forced air system you will want to run.

Old 04-20-2006, 02:42 AM
littleme13
Posting Guru
i did read a little o fit the book store i went to was way over priced so i am waiting on it to come now so i can get all the details of exactly what i want i know the basics of it just need all the details now im basicaly wanting 4 turbos yes two to spin almost instantly then valves to cut flow to them and open more to the bigger two to feed top end the same as in a twin turbo rx7 or supra where they only use two i will be using 4 i know this isnt the most pratical setup or easy for that matter it will be something ive never seen and thats what i want something that i can say i did it myself and prob the first to do from what ive been able to find

Old 04-20-2006, 06:39 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Well I can't really comment on setting them up, as I have spent most of my time ripping them off RX7's... (in aid of a large single turbo)

Yes, they work really well for stopping turbo lag from a manufacturers point of view.
Is the system essential?
No. There are other ways to get around turbo lag, through engine tuning, correct turbo sizing etc.

To be completly honest, I think you may be attempting something that may be rediculously hard (especially if its your first turbo project).
Fitting 4 turbo's (and intercoolers, and piping) under a bonnet won't be easy, not to mention I still don't think the potential gains are as good for an aftermarket system as they are for an OEM application (purely due to the fact you can be a bit more creative with the locations of critical components, and with tuning)

Old 04-20-2006, 10:55 AM
littleme13
Posting Guru
bigf350 i dont want to use the turbos from an rx7 just the idea im not sure if you understood that i was using it to explain cause i dont think everyone does. as far as room for piping i have plenty. but all plans are subject to change as i am still in research. and i understand that this is prob really stupid for my first turbo prodject from scratch but it is not the first tim eive delt with turbos. i understand the basics its just all the little details that im in need of figuring out. but thank you very much for your imput im just not looking for the easiest thats no fun if you ask me

thanks
tony

Old 04-20-2006, 04:21 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
im just not looking for the easiest thats no fun if you ask me

haha - welcome to the club

Old 05-04-2006, 02:35 PM
bigblocktrent
New User
this is interesting to me, and i also have an 85 f250 with a 460. if you find out something that works, please inform me, another option for power won't hurt me any. thanks in advance,
trent

Old 05-10-2006, 12:28 AM
littleme13
Posting Guru
well guys after much consideration ive come to the conclusion that 4 turbos is very complicated but doable. with that being said thats what im going to do. althou its going to take longer then anticipated. being poor means that i have to use mostly junk yard parts and rebuild turbos and finding ones that match is not easy. ebay will become a good friend. also fabricating manifolds will take some time. and of course i cant start till i find a new car to drive to work. but pics and details will be soon to come. any suggestions on cars to look out for good turbos in the junk yeard would be helpful or any other suggestion please feel free. even if its to tell me im crazy and it cant be done cause you are the one im going to prove wrong

Quick Reply: dual twin turbo???