6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

6.4s are now out

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 09:12 AM
AndysFords
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Engines

Even if they do come out in January, who would buy the first one to come out. The first 7.3 powerstrokes in 94 were screwed up. The first 6.0 in 2003 was screwed up. Who wants the first 6.4? If you do you are braver than me. And so you will know, the 4.5 is a V6. It is a 6.0 minus 2 cylinders. This is obvious when you divide 6 by 8 you get 0.75, or .75 per cylinder. 4.5 divided by 6 is 0.75, or .75 per cylinder.

Last edited by AndysFords; 03-27-2006 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:48 PM
mschultz
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dunnpl88
its not a 2 stage turbo..................same turbo thats on the 4.5 ,dual stage turbo ...borg warner is the mfg......... reading other things on the engine...navastar is not an engine mfg...international makes them......power stroke is a name owned by ford... and the engines are made through a joint venture between international and ford called blue diamond.........rumors are close but so far away

Interesting... who exactly do you suppose purchased the International Truck and Engine Divisions from the bankrupt International Harvester company in the mid 1980's? Hint: Navastar.

-Mike

Old 03-27-2006, 05:12 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by AndysFords
Who wants the first 6.4?
Admittedly we won't get them at the same time you guys do, buuuttttt... put me down for the first one off the boat.
I have no problem working through its growing pains. I just happen to want one NOW!!!

Old 03-27-2006, 09:11 PM
Gatrfanzz
Freshman User
Sorry again for the delay in getting back. My contact admitted that he made the mistake. Sorry guys. I just call em as I see em. Or in this case hear about it. He said that Mears has two ordered in vans that were supposed to come in soon, but they are being delayed. Also is hearing they may not even be release at all this year as they are having major problems. I'll try to keep an ear out.

Old 03-28-2006, 08:58 AM
Industrial_dude
Elder User
Originally Posted by Gatrfanzz
Sorry again for the delay in getting back. My contact admitted that he made the mistake. Sorry guys. I just call em as I see em. Or in this case hear about it. He said that Mears has two ordered in vans that were supposed to come in soon, but they are being delayed. Also is hearing they may not even be release at all this year as they are having major problems. I'll try to keep an ear out.
LOL interesting.... im done speculating. Later guys. ill post a pic of my 6.4 when i get it. And know damn well the tires are gonna be smoking whether the engine blows up or not, im sure warranty will cover it, I just have to tick off my neighbors. nothing like being the youngest on the block with the nicest truck

Old 03-28-2006, 09:37 AM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by Banksstroker
Sorry to burst the bubble, but I just called Heintzelman's and talked to the Sales Manager and he said that they do not have, have not had and will not have a 6.4L diesel until at earliest January. I then asked when we could order one and he said "probably" October. Sorry for the bad news...I too was excited to hear it.

-Banksstroker
I believe your correct on this one. And I hope that this motor is not going to be a Horror show like a the 6.0.

Old 03-28-2006, 01:52 PM
dunbar15
Senior User
Originally Posted by sglaine
I believe your correct on this one. And I hope that this motor is not going to be a Horror show like a the 6.0.
If this motor turns out to be a piece of crap then they better go to cummins or ford will be all done, ford cannot afford to keep having these problems..

Old 03-28-2006, 02:47 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by dunbar15
If this motor turns out to be a piece of crap then they better go to cummins or ford will be all done, ford cannot afford to keep having these problems..

I agree with you there. CAT would be great if they could come up with an Engine for Ford. Now that would bail Ford out.

Old 03-28-2006, 03:06 PM
dunbar15
Senior User
Originally Posted by sglaine
I agree with you there. CAT would be great if they could come up with an Engine for Ford. Now that would bail Ford out.
I dont know much about CAT but here they are awesome motors from the farm boys at work, if CATS better than cummins then thats the way to go, I'm still holding out hope that the 6.4 will be a awesome engine..

Old 03-28-2006, 06:16 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by dunbar15
I dont know much about CAT but here they are awesome motors from the farm boys at work, if CATS better than cummins then thats the way to go, I'm still holding out hope that the 6.4 will be a awesome engine..
'
Trust me CAT is way much better.

Old 03-28-2006, 07:35 PM
NickFordMan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why did you even bring CAt into this? We all know CAT has ABSOLUTELY NO interest in the light truck market. They will not be coming out with PU engines. Cummins has a deal with Dodge through 2012. Cummins will not be in a Ford anytime soon. Ford and Navistar are in bed together, and are in a lasting relationship. If ford did leave Navistar, an in-house engine would be used. Not from any other company.

So can we stop with this Cummins, CAT, and bring back the 7.3L BS??? It's not a realistic thought. It's been said many times before. Move on already.

Old 03-28-2006, 09:41 PM
Turbo8
Freshman User
Smile

My brother is desel mech./tech. he says that the cats engines are stronger and better than cummins engines, He says they are easer to work on than cummins. I love this site, Im learning a lot. thanks guys.

Old 03-28-2006, 10:16 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Welcome Turbo8...
From my experience, the best thing about CAT is their customer service, they have a good reputation, and are willing to bend over backwards to keep it.

Old 03-29-2006, 06:27 AM
dunbar15
Senior User
Originally Posted by NickFordMan
Why did you even bring CAt into this? We all know CAT has ABSOLUTELY NO interest in the light truck market. They will not be coming out with PU engines. Cummins has a deal with Dodge through 2012. Cummins will not be in a Ford anytime soon. Ford and Navistar are in bed together, and are in a lasting relationship. If ford did leave Navistar, an in-house engine would be used. Not from any other company.

So can we stop with this Cummins, CAT, and bring back the 7.3L BS??? It's not a realistic thought. It's been said many times before. Move on already.
Nickford, why wouldnt CAT want to make more money and get into the light truck engine market, isnt it always the goal of your company to grow ??
I'm not questioning your knowledge on this, I dont work for CAT or know anyone that does.. Was CAT ever approached by FORD OR GM and asked if they were interested in building motors for the light duty trucks ?? Also I'm all for sticking with navistar if this new engine proves itself, but if has problems like the 6.0 its time to look alsewhere and get the best motor for the best trucks built today..

Old 03-29-2006, 08:20 AM
Batgeek
More Turbo
Don't know about Cat moving into the light truck market with their engines, but in the Febuary issue of Dieselpower magazine they had an article about them getting into the transmission market.

Quick Reply: 6.4s are now out