What happened to the chat room?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 12:11 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What happened to the chat room?

We tried to hold a chapter meeting in the chat room last night - we are trying to find and elect a new leader. Chat did not work - there was only one room and it was in use.

Is there any way we can have a separate room for our use?

Also, is there any way we can email all members in our area? It does not seem right not to give them a chance to participate but most have stopped even checking the chapter for new messages. (NorCal has been inactive for months)

Last edited by WillyB; 02-24-2006 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:38 PM
Beast12
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is only ONE room in the chat. You will have to talk in there.

To find members in your area do this:

1) Click Members list at the top of the screen.
2) When the new page pops up click Search Members on the right side (below logout).
3) A box will pop up. Click Advanced Search.
4) Do a search for people in your State.

Good luck!

-Matt

Old 02-24-2006, 12:51 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Thank you, but that returned 1100 names, even when I restricted it to people who had posted since 1 Jan 06. I understand the problems with email addresses and spam, but is there some way to use this site to send one email to all these people without having to do so individually?

Old 02-24-2006, 12:54 PM
Beast12
Post Fiend
No, you can only do it individually.

-Matt

Old 03-09-2006, 09:40 PM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
I do it via PM's. . .at least that way I can send 5 at a time

Old 03-10-2006, 09:16 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
You can thank some of the NWC members for no longer being able to create new rooms in the chat. Apparently they thought it was funny to create vulgar room names.

Last edited by F2504x4; 03-20-2006 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:13 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Thanks for the info, Ken. I don't blame you and this is not the first time a few have ruined it for the rest of us. However, as of now, this makes the chat feature worthless to most of us - there is always a younger group up there talking, and no room for serious discussions.

Old 03-10-2006, 01:36 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Is it possible to have additional rooms added by a moderator? Or possibly a sign-up process to use other rooms so the problems in the past would not occur? This would still meet the needs of others like what WillyB is talking about. I realize it takes away the instantaneous aspect of the chat room, but at least if you really needed to use one you could.

Old 03-10-2006, 03:32 PM
Beast12
Post Fiend
It would probably take a lot of extra coding to do something like that. The best thing would be to maybe get an Instant Messenger and communicate through there. You can set up different rooms with most.

-Matt

Old 03-10-2006, 03:59 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Yeah I was just trying to think of a way to keep it here on FTE, but we have done exactly like you said and used IM or other methods. It was just a thought.

Old 03-10-2006, 04:44 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
What you can do is raise hell with the NWC guys. Maybe if they see that other people on FTE are tried of the crap the more mature NWC will put pressure on those who seem to have no social skills. I'm not inclined at this time to change the chat back to the way it was because I have no confidence it won't happen again. (The best indicator of future behavior is past behavior)

Old 03-10-2006, 05:46 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Ken, the problem is that you did not fix the problem, if you will pardon me for being blunt. The same behavior that caused you to close the extra rooms is still going on - you just moved it to the main chat room.

I would not ask the ladies of my chapter to visit that room now - someone is apt to ask the size of their chests or some other offensive question.

And it will not work for us to chastise the offenders - they will just move to our chapters and start flame wars there. Who needs that?

My suggestion would be to start suspending the posting rights of the offenders - maybe for 15 days the first time, 30 the second, and forever the third.

But this action needs to be done by an anonymous group - not a identifiable individual - or you will find the guy's accomplices stalking who ever did it and flaming him everywhere.

Last edited by WillyB; 03-10-2006 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:52 PM
Beast12
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by WillyB
My suggestion would be to start suspending the posting rights of the offenders - maybe for 15 days the first time, 30 the second, and forever the third.
People HAVE been suspended for weeks at a time. The thing is that people think they are invincible from the Moderators and Administrators in there (the chat room) when, in reality, they are not. At any time an Administrator can look through the logs and find ANY conversation that has gone on in the chat rooms.

The main thing is people need to grow up and read the Guidelines. If they don't like it they should go elsewhere. This is a family oriented site and we don't need that crap going on. They ruin it for everyone else.

-Matt

Old 03-10-2006, 06:30 PM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Okay Okay lets slow this down abit...

First: Regarding the chat rooms first. Its everyones responsibility to report users that get out of hands, that is the fastest way for mods and admin to respond and deal with it, If there is a user in the chat room that gets out of hand, Pm a moderator or better yet one of the admin with the name and time.

Second: if you see the chat going the wrong direction then remind them of the Rule of eight, but dont not get into a debate about it.

Regarding The NW chapter, Tim and FTE Jason have put alot of effort into taming that group and it has had good results, There are still a few bad apples that still push the limits but they will not last long if they get reported.

The Chapter leader of the NW, Ivan has been workin behind the scences along with others to keep the chapter inline and much progress has been made.

There are other members on this board who use the chat room that need to be aware of what they are saying in the chat room, as Beast12 said , all conversations are recorded and logged.

If it keeps up chat will be no more.

Thirdly: if any member is harrassing any other member on this board , report it and it will be dealt with, if there are issues going on in the chapters let me know.
it will be dealt with according to the FTE guidelines.

Okay is there anything else regarding this issue? lets hear'em

Last edited by F2504x4; 03-10-2006 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:42 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by F2504x4
Okay . . . Okay is there anything else regarding this issue? lets hear'em
Not from me -I am happy.