New York Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: tiny1

NY State Inspection nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 07:59 AM
Paddy Whacker
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NY State Inspection nightmare

I went to Pep Boys to get an inspection, actually I dropped it off and went to work. They called and asked me if I did any work, or jumped the battery recently, because the O2 and heat sensors were not ready. I told them that I hadn't touched it. They said we will take it for a ride to clear the codes. Well, they drove it 40 miles and it still didn't clear the codes. I explained to them about the glitch in the NY system, and how the gross weight was wrong, and they told me I have to take it up with the DMV. Yes, I have passenger plates, which is coming back to haunt me, but you can ligitimately have passenger plates on the truck with a cap (which I can, did, will have). Plus, its a crew, so I have the second row of seats????

Anyway, I went to Goodyear, they told me that they have the very new system, that has no override abilities, and that I would most likely have to bring it to a DMV inspection facility. My friend's uncle, with the older system, so I am trying him tommorow.

It's my understanding that there are two problems:

1) When you scan the registration on a SD or X, it defaults to 1-8500 GVW, which is wrong because the system is looking for additional sensors for a light duty truck

2) Worse for SD's with passenger plates and X's, the system won't allow +8500 GVW with passenger plates, and you can't override it without calling the DMV. What a nightmare.

Any LI'ers know of any shops that know how to handle this if my friend's uncle can't come through?

Old 03-17-2006, 02:46 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Why didn't they disconnect the battery? I forget for how long, but that will clear the codes. I had to do that with my SD after two COPS went bad and the truck continued to buck after I replaced them. Left the battery disconnected overnight the next day the truck ran great and has ever since.

Good luck with your inspection. I went with commerical plates on my truck due to I was planning on doing a lot of towing with mine when I first got it and didn't want any hassles. So I don't run into the issue that you are having when I go for inspection.

Old 03-17-2006, 03:04 PM
Paddy Whacker
Senior User
It's not the codes, it's because the software for NY is screwed up, and no one knows how to override it. When you scan the barcode, it comes up F150, less than 8500 GVW. F150's have sensors that F250 and above don't, but the techs aren't aware of it. Needless to say, when you tell them they have to override the problem, they tell you to go somewhere else.

Old 03-17-2006, 06:08 PM
bterry
Elder User
Did you read the post in theis Chapter below, and in particular Krewat's post:
Originally Posted by krewat
I had my '01 V10 inspected the other day with the "new" setup where they hook up to the OBD-II port.

The inspector (garage mechanic) entered "F250 SUPER DUTY" and it came up with the O2 sensor and O2 sensor heater test not completed. Usual thing, it appears.

My '01 SD is registered as a passenger vehicle because it has(had) a cap/topper on it, and that's legally the requirement in NY for passenger plates. Weight on the reg is 5600 lbs, because that's the shipping weight on the title, even though the GVWR is 8800 lbs. The inspection equipment came up with "less than 8500 lbs".

He called some consortium, which in turn gave him the # for Albany. They told him they had fixed the software, and to just enter "F250" as the vehicle type. That cured it, it passed immediately.

So, anyone having this problem, tell the guy doing the inspection to type in just plain "F250" in NYS.

I am going to post this as a seperate thread since it would help others besides those reading this one thread.

art k.

Old 03-17-2006, 07:19 PM
Paddy Whacker
Senior User
bterry, according to the Goodyear shop, there is no "typing in F250," just scanning the registration and plugging the truck into the OBD-II port. I printed krewat's post for tomorrow, crossing my fingers that all goes well. I will keep you posted.

Old 03-18-2006, 01:38 PM
Paddy Whacker
Senior User
No luck today, but after stopping at 6 shops, I found someone who knew what was going on. Regardless of the plates, the shop needs to call the DMV monday through friday and get a waiver for the gross weight error. No big deal, but I have to leave it Monday. Hopefully the drama will be over soon.

Old 03-18-2006, 06:05 PM
jasonschwenk
Elder User
i went to mt. siani brake and spring on rte 347

i made an appointment and they did it while i waited no problems at all but that was for a diesel only need safety inspection and opacity test

mabey they can help they seemed to know all about big trucks

Old 03-19-2006, 11:39 AM
jaybird
Senior User
Yes YES YES

The shop has to call the STATE (EMISSION) DMV section.They will give the shop an authorization number and then the shop will manually overide the inspection computer once they call to get the go-ahead.
I don't have the 1-800 number but,just call the DMV and they will give you a direct number to the emissions section.Then call them and they will go ahead and have the authorization done so the shop will be able to just call up and get an OK for manual GVW input.

People told me that I needed to drive my truck to cycle the codes=WRONG!
People told me I needed to re-register my dually for 8501 or more=WRONG!

The DMV is not pentalizing us/you andthey are'nt making you pay more and register for higher weight class.

We are grandfathered in and it will pass because those 2 O2's that are not cycling will not be required when they overide the system and type in a higher weight manually...

What it boils down to is some trucks(IE:mine) have a OBD computer that is not formatted to run with the new state emission computer systems,the state emission computer is setup properly with the newer OBD truck computers and not the other OBD monitor ..

I can't remember which but there is a OBD1 and an OBD2 and one of them will fail 2 O2sensors because it does not have the proper data in the state systems/

Cheers

Last edited by jaybird; 03-19-2006 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:12 PM
Paddy Whacker
Senior User
Done, $200 later. Yesterday I noticed the that the tie rod that attaches to the pitman arm was shot, so I asked them to replace that and do the inspection. He said the inspection was a PITA with the DMV, but its done.