1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end bounce on 2004 F250, anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 03:09 PM
dmgiff
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front end bounce on 2004 F250, anyone?

I have an 04 F250 6.0 CC 4wd. When traveling at 40 to 43 mph, it has an annoying front end bounce that will spill coffee if I don't either accelerate or slow down. It had the bounce when new on stock wheels and tires. I have since installed a Donahoe Racing leveling kit, 2" blocks in the rear, bilstein shocks and 33" Terra Grappler tires. It is getting worse. I've had the lift and tires for about 13K miles now and recently rotated the tires, which also made the bounce a little more noticeable. Does anyone else have this problem or maybe has found a fix for the problem? Oh yeah, it won't bounce if I have something heavy in the bed.

Old 03-08-2006, 06:53 PM
flyMike
Junior User
I have an 04 F350...never heard of this problem...nor do I have it obviously.

Old 03-08-2006, 07:32 PM
LOOnatic
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
In the superduty forum there is a thread called "DEath wobble" re: front end bounce on the 2nd page of thread topics.
Check it out.

Old 03-09-2006, 03:02 AM
dmgiff
Senior User
Yeah, I checked the death wobble thread, that's not it. The steering wheel doesn't shake side to side, the whole front end bounces straight up and down. You can even look at the edge of the hood and see it bouncing, or if you have a lady in the passenger seat, you can see bouncing as well.

I saw a thread on this about a year ago from someone with an 04, but I didn't pay attention to see who it was nor do I know if he ever found a cure, but I do know he was looking for a solution and it is exactly the same as he described it.

Old 03-09-2006, 02:32 PM
scottjestes
New User
I have an 03 PSD, extended cab, long bed, 4x4 - completely stock. My front end bounces in the 38-42 mph range. Very annoying - happens on acceleration and deacceleration. I don't recall this happening until I put on 33" tires a couple of months ago. I was thinking it was probably a wheel/tire balance problem, but I'm no expert.

Old 03-09-2006, 02:50 PM
OldSHO
Junior User
have you check the struts and shocks, and other front end stuff? I have a suburban that the front end bounces really bad. but that is due to the shocks. and the reason it has probably gotten worse with the bigger tires is because the wieght of the front end is displacing the air in the tire causeing it to bounce worse, have the same problem with the suburban also. you may need to beef up the suspenion on the truck. and it doesn't do it with a load is cause you are putting more wieght over the rear axle, which is causing the truck to lean more to the rear, even if you don't notice the rear squatting. but that is just my experiance with that problem.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:51 AM
Jay Bee
New User
Can you please explain the Death Wobble?
What do I need to know about it and can it be fixed.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:23 PM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This thread is over 2 years old. Do a search for "death wobble" and you will find many threads on it, find a more recent one and read through it.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:31 PM
jahdeer123
New User
bouncing

i having same problem with my truck it has gotten so bad an happens so often i stopped driving my truck i havent found a cure have u

Old 02-12-2011, 02:53 AM
dmgiff
Senior User
I feel honored that this thread has been resurrected. I have not found a cure since my original post. I did replace my tires with bfg a/t's and also my rotors. No change. Oh yeah... Put some new wheels on also. The very first thread I ever read about this, the guy said he was relentless with his dealership and apparently they also really wanted to fix the problem. The regional Ford rep came out and somehow they figured out if they hung a cylindrical steel counterweight off of a cantilevered arm attached to the frame somewhere near the fuel tank if I remember correctly, they were able to eliminate the bouncing. I have tried to since find info on this and have never been successful. So now I never drive at that speed because it drives me nuts.

This problem is nothing like death wobble. I think there are several causes for death wobble, but death wobble is when the steering wheel shakes back and forth violently and with such force that you cannot stop it with your hands. The only way to regain control is to slow down or possibly speed up. But it always feels safer to slow down. Think tank-slapper on a motorcycle.

Again, this problem is absolutely not death wobble. Carry on.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:27 PM
DAVE67FD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I feel honored that this thread has been resurrected.
You will get much better response to your questions if you start a new thread on the subject. Many dont like to read thru a 5 year old post.

But anyway they are not the same thing. The bounce is another phoenomena that occurs with these trucks that has a lot to do with frame resonance and is typically more prevalent on the longer bed trucks. Confirm that your tires are at the recomended pressure for the tire load. Adding bed weight will also minimize it. Some say trucks with trailer hitches (which is pretty much all of them) and or rear sway bars are minimized.

I have had it since new as well as with all the mods i have done. I just live with it.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:15 PM
Hotpocket
Elder User
Originally Posted by dmgiff
I feel honored that this thread has been resurrected. I have not found a cure since my original post. I did replace my tires with bfg a/t's and also my rotors. No change. Oh yeah... Put some new wheels on also. The very first thread I ever read about this, the guy said he was relentless with his dealership and apparently they also really wanted to fix the problem. The regional Ford rep came out and somehow they figured out if they hung a cylindrical steel counterweight off of a cantilevered arm attached to the frame somewhere near the fuel tank if I remember correctly, they were able to eliminate the bouncing. I have tried to since find info on this and have never been successful. So now I never drive at that speed because it drives me nuts.

This problem is nothing like death wobble. I think there are several causes for death wobble, but death wobble is when the steering wheel shakes back and forth violently and with such force that you cannot stop it with your hands. The only way to regain control is to slow down or possibly speed up. But it always feels safer to slow down. Think tank-slapper on a motorcycle.

Again, this problem is absolutely not death wobble. Carry on.

Im no expert...but i would think add a leaf would help

Old 09-16-2011, 07:30 PM
Benny76
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know exactly what you're talking about, have it in my 05. Have had it in a few other trucks I've owned. Not sure what the heck it is. It's like the back tires have matching bumps in them or something? Something like that?