Viper 3000 Car Alarm

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 12:48 PM
Pathfinder1369
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Viper 3000 Car Alarm

Ok Peeps,

I had Best Buy install a Vipor 3000 on my 2003 Ford Ranger 4x4. The alarm keeps going off for no reason. Best Buy sez it is they trucks computer waking up and going through a cycle. Sound like BS to me. Anyone else have had this problem?

P-

Old 03-08-2006, 04:18 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,675 Likes on 1,354 Posts
You had better stay on their case to get this fixed. Never heard of a computer "waking up" by itself. By this excuse do the imply this is normal and you have to live with it? If they are some sort of authorized dealer/installer, call viper up and bend their ear.

If this system is incompatible with your truck for some made up reason, then tell them to take the system out, and give your money back. They should not have installed it in the first place if it wasn't going to work right and the knew about it.

Old 03-12-2006, 11:16 AM
lumbermansvo
Senior User
The problem is not the computer waking up, but the computer going to sleep.

Most cars have a negative door trigger, when the door opens the door wires goes to ground, when the dor is closed that wire will show either nothing or a slight positive. The aftermarket alarm is setup to look for a ground, when it sees the ground it triggers and hopefully wakes you up or scares away the thief.

The problem is that pretty much all new cars have Body Control Modules that control locks, dome lights, power sindows and the like. After a certain time has passed since the last activity the car will shut down the BCM, showing a ground on the door trigger wires. This ground sets off your alarm, which flashes the lights and wakes the BCM back up. You silence the alarm and 30 minutes later repeat the whole thing over again. Sound familar?

The installer will need to isolate the BCM from the aftermarket alarm, there are two ways to do this. One is to install a diode on the factory wire so the alarm can't see the ground, this is the easiest way. Also the ground from the the BCM is not enough to trip a relay, but the door trigger is. The installer can use a relay to isolate the BCM and alarm.

If the installer looks at you like you came from Mars when you you ask him to do that ask for a supervisor. There will be someone that works at that location that knows whats up and can fix, you just have to find that person, the supervisor usually knows who that is.

Old 03-15-2006, 10:47 AM
Pathfinder1369
Junior User
Lumbermansvo...

Actually the who place thought I was from another galaxy!!! I talked to the Tech, sup and the store manager. Each one had a different story of my story. It sounded like to me that the BS went up hill instead of down. It started with the techs not knowing what they are doing and ended up that each level tried to cover for their flaws.

I finally talked to the store manager and told him what was going on. He sias he will get his best alarm guy on it. Turned out it was the yo-yo who put it in the and frying to fix it to begain with!!!

I came back with the solutions for the wonderful memeber of FTE. It turned out they they did not put in the diodes. I told them this and they finally put them in. It works fine now. I guess Best Buy key to lower prices is to hire inexperenced kids!!! Next time I am going with a pro. It will be worth the money.

Pathfinder1369

Old 03-15-2006, 09:12 PM
lumbermansvo
Senior User
Going to big box stores can be a bit hit or miss. I know I made my share of mistakes when I first started out. (Man was that woman mad when they told her I drilled through her brake line!) Some big box stores have some downright incredible installers and the one down the street might have a guy who is still confused about how to spell his own name. Every shop should have at least one guy who knows whats going on and and manager who has a clue and knows how to solve customer service problems. When that doesn't happen you wind up with a situation like you were just in.

At the shop I started in if I had made that mistake I would have had to fix it myself, but someone would have shown me how and explained why it needs to be that way. If I couldn't fix it then someone else would, possibly the shop manager. If someone else fixed it I would have lost all my commission on that job. I learned to fix things