Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

when is ford going to get a motor

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 05:29 PM
Galizien
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 150ford
Ford losing ground Nah. Sales for F-series is outstanding. Dodge is declining. There is more to a truck then the motor.. Gas milage for a hemi is pathetic. Like I said before a diesel 150 is the way to go. Not a bigger hemi motor. Nuff said.
WE DON'T HAVE ANY DIESEL F-150'S HERE YET.

Old 03-09-2006, 05:37 PM
captchas
not here in the USA and canada, but in other countrys YES.esp.down under

Old 03-09-2006, 05:59 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by rusty70f100
My personal opinion is that Ford had a good motor in the FE. My F100 will get 17mpg on the highway, with a rebuilt 390. There's another guy in the FE forum who is getting 17mpg in his F100 with his mildly rebuilt 390, who just smoked a Chevy Silverado SS in a stoplight race!
What's funny is how much the modulars look like an FE, except for the large heads. And even then, 427 SOHC comes to mind.

Deep-skirt block. Definitely only the FE had that for quite a long time. This is where the main caps are level with the oil pan flange.

Cross-bolt mains. sorta FE-like. The V10 has SIX bolt mains. Four holding down the cap, two from the sides.

I miss my highboy...

Old 03-09-2006, 06:34 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is about time some Ford people spoke out on this. I have been saying things on this subject on this forum for sometime. My wife drives a Chevy Trailblazer 4x4 for exactly the reasons mentioned here. 4.2L inline 6 cylinder 275 HP 275 FT/TORQUE and 20-22 MPG on the road. I have run off with a few EXPLORERS with V8s and I never saw them again I guess they pulled off the road. I have asked when FORD will come out with a REAL DIESEL "inline 6", either the subject is ignored or I get ragged on. I don't want to know JUST how fast it is, but will it be running @ 500,000 miles, lots of CUMMINS are. WHAT GETS ME IS I'M a TRUE FORD TRUCK GUY, & HAVE BEEN SINCE THE 60s, If I want a gas rig to pull my 10,000# trailer I have to keep my 86 F250 4x4 460, because nobady is going sell me on the V-10 that gets no better mileage than my 460 and is having it's share of trouble, and the 5.4 isn't big enough I run from 3100 ft to 7500 ft of elev. so then I look at GM 8.1L gas motor getting 13 MPG according to the guys I know, the worst they get is 11 MPH that's with weight like I haul. That is double my 460. I don't know anybody with a V-10 Ford "gee" maybe there is a reason.
Anyway, FORD NEEDS TO RELOOK AT THEIR COMPLETE ENGINE PROGRAM.

Last edited by kermmydog; 03-09-2006 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:42 PM
OSin86
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by handyman43358
How about we quit calling the 5.7L Dodge engine a Hemi, unless of course you have been fooled by Dodge. Which in case, by all means, keep calling it a Hemi. But I'm here to tell ya folks, these new Dodge engines sure the hell aren't Hemi's. Don't believe me? Tear into one yourself! It's nothing more than a marketing tool because the Hemi was a great engine, in its day. I'd like to fast forward 10 years and see how that 5.7 Dodge V8 is running compared to a Triton 5.4. Bet ya that 5.7 will have been gone through once, maybe twice, while the 5.4 still keeps on kickin.
Hemi is short for hemispherical and what they're referring to is the head chamber design. As much as you may not like the engine it is a real hemi design. Tearing into it would only confirm this.

Old 03-09-2006, 07:00 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I guarantee you a V-10 will get better mileage then a 460. The V-10 will outperform a 460 an GM 8.1. . an get better mileage doing it. 13 MPG on a 8.1 give me break. I have yet to here anyone say that. 10 MPG if your lucky. Man I dont know who your listening to. But the V-10 is an excellent motor. The 8.1 will drink oil thats a known fact. Dont forget the superduty is the best truck on the road today. Better then any GM or Dodge truck. Get a V-10 you wont be dissapppointed. Visit the V-10 forum people love there trucks.

Old 03-09-2006, 08:34 PM
NickFordMan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The F-150 looks to be getting the 4.4L CGI block diesel engine that produces 330hp, and close to the same amount of torque as the 6.0L. Whether or not the engine will be putting that much out if and when the F-150 recieves it, we've yet to see.
The new 6.4L TT will have 350+ hp, and over 650 ft/lbs of torque, according to a release a few weeks ago. Those numbers will surely increase as competition keeps on burning. The TT will allow for a superior versatility, and driveability. Just you wait for the after market. Not only that, but the engine is so clean, it's claimed to put out cleaner air than was put into the intake, in some cities.
The 3V 5.4L isn't exactly living up to it's potential, but that can be changed. A new automatic 6-speed is to be desired, and a 5-speed manual would be optimal. The throttle needs some work as well. Don't count it out yet though.
The Triton V10 is an exceptional engine for the former BB gas guys. Excellent counter diesel option, and is very clean running, with excellent power output. Superior power output actually, to that of the BBC 8.1L, and far more advanced than the old 460's. Don't kid yourself. You may have a preference, but the V10 is no slouch.
Apparently the 6.2L is back underway, unless I've been out of the loop here. If and when that happens, you will see a true performer.

As it is, Ford is doing just fine with their engine program. Ford has always known that low end torque is what really matters...all that hp stuff can come afterwards. Just wait and watch, the next few years will be very interesting in the automotive world.

Originally Posted by pronstar
Trouble is, they then put a blower or turbo on the Chebbie and then they proceed to clean the floor my blown Ford.
You can easily achieve 600+hp on a stock 5.4L block, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. You should see some of these modded GT engines. Stock with 550 hp at the crank, and just a tune on the computer has them over 600 RWHP.

Originally Posted by duramaximizer
yes i know that. but provided the 2.0 and the 4.8 make the same hp and torque at the same rpm, the 2.0 will kick the 4.8's rear. even if the 2.0 does make it's power up higher, it will could still win because of the massive weight differences.
It doesn't matter. You're talking hypothetically. Your screnario is physically impossible. A 4 cylinder engine producing the same 210 hp, will NOT have the same torque curve, and the peaks will be much higher in the RPM range. Even with the advent of VVT, I doubt it's physically possible without a blower and some extreme amount of boost...and by that time, we've stepped out of the original comparison.

Last edited by NickFordMan; 03-09-2006 at 08:58 PM.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:09 PM
handyman43358
Postmaster
Originally Posted by OSin86
Hemi is short for hemispherical and what they're referring to is the head chamber design. As much as you may not like the engine it is a real hemi design. Tearing into it would only confirm this.
Thanks for the information, but I know what Hemi is short for. I never said I didn't like the engine. I like the old 426 Hemi (which is what we rebuilt in engines class my freshman year... got a whole overview on it and how it was "so much better" than any other engine of that era.) And if you tear into a new one, you'll see that there is no comparison to the 426. Have you torn into a new "Hemi"?

Old 03-09-2006, 09:14 PM
OSin86
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by handyman43358
Thanks for the information, but I know what Hemi is short for. I never said I didn't like the engine. I like the old 426 Hemi (which is what we rebuilt in engines class my freshman year... got a whole overview on it and how it was "so much better" than any other engine of that era.) And if you tear into a new one, you'll see that there is no comparison to the 426. Have you torn into a new "Hemi"?
Yes I have and they are two completely different beasts but both equally have the right to wear the badge "hemi". Actually isn't the new hemi making more power per cu in then the old one?

Old 03-09-2006, 09:16 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by kermmydog
If I want a gas rig to pull my 10,000# trailer I have to keep my 86 F250 4x4 460, because nobady is going sell me on the V-10 that gets no better mileage than my 460 and is having it's share of trouble
You are misinformed.

What trouble?

As for MPG, visit the V10 forum, people are consistently getting better MPG than the 460s they replaced.

I still see no reason why Ford should put money into some heart-stopping thumper of a motor ... Sure, advertising-wise, it makes some sense. But I wonder what the real return on dollars-invested is...

Old 03-09-2006, 09:36 PM
handyman43358
Postmaster
Im sorry, but I rarely see Dodge trucks being used as work trucks. Most people who have them are yuppies from the city who think they're cool because the have a "HEMI". The majority of them don't know what a Hemi is. I'd rather have a truck that I can use to work, not to look cool in.

Old 03-09-2006, 10:08 PM
plumbguy
Junior User
I may be missing the point but silverados cant and dont blow me off the road in my 04 f-150.

Old 03-09-2006, 10:50 PM
roger dowty
Posting Guru
Talking

Originally Posted by plumbguy
I may be missing the point but silverados cant and dont blow me off the road in my 04 f-150.
maybe you just havent noticed. No comparison from what I can see. I did do a comparison with my 02 silverado and an 03 150 and the guy had nothing to say at all.

Old 03-09-2006, 10:59 PM
NickFordMan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by OSin86
Yes I have and they are two completely different beasts but both equally have the right to wear the badge "hemi". Actually isn't the new hemi making more power per cu in then the old one?
The 'hemi' used right now is a pentroof combustion chamber ain't it? It starts off as a typical '60's style hemisphereical head, but cuts into a pentroff...due to the fact that the flame cannot be controled as well with the hemi, and that is horrible for emmissions.

Old 03-09-2006, 11:03 PM
edgl
Elder User
I have driven 2 F350 Ford V10s, and they are not that impressive. One is an 06 F350 dually, and the other was as 2001. My co-worker has a 97 F350 with a 460 V8, and that truck will flat out run. The 460 is a very strong engine.
Ed G

Quick Reply: when is ford going to get a motor