refurbishing 62 econoline van

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 11:49 PM
alvayoung
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile refurbishing 62 econoline van

Hi, My name is Alva Young, and I am refurbishing an old 1962 Econoline van to be a fully functional work van as well as a cool ride. I have rebuilt the 170 engine and tranny as well as the brakes and undercarriage.

The windows have all been removed along with the doors and is ready for blasting. I have changed a few things. I no longer have the generator. I am using a GM alternator now with a built in regulator.

I have also traded out the metal engine box for a custom wooden one with cup holders. I have also done away with all door handles in favor of solenoid operated units. I cut down five inches from the front wheel wells and lowered the upper shock mounts the same amount so I can install seats from an Oldsmobile minivan that are eaisly removable.

I have completely stripped the van for painting inside and out. It will have dark tinted windows, a custom fabricated grille, custom bumpers, and custom wiring. I will have a lot of parts left over such as the door handles, motor box, generator, grille, and a couple of aluminum wheels and rear bumper.

I need a new steering wheel complete with horn cap and a set of dog dish type hub caps. I am planning a custom paint job with a dark grey base coat and a metallic clear coat with pearl added. There will also be ghost diamond shapes in the paint using different amounts of pearl in the clear coat.

I have never painted a van before. I have only painted a few motorcycles and I want to get it right because the materials for this paint job are going to be very expensive. I am open to pointers from anyone with experience with the pearl additive in the clear coat. How much to use, and how much to add to achieve the ghost images?

This is going to be a fully functional work van without looking like one. I have had bad experiences with trucks that look like work trucks. They seem to be like a magnet to thievs who break in to steal tools. I want this old classic to just look like a cool ride that is actually a simple reliable work truck.

I have been taking pictures of the project including the monster rats nest covering the engine and the one inch of rat turds that covered the floor when I towed this old wagon home. I have had to cut out the floor and fabricate a new one with square tubing and sixteen gauge sheet metal.

Any help with parts and paint tips will be much appreciated.