Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

'97 PS & '88 ZF5, Help me Dave Sponaugle

Old 02-27-2006, 10:54 PM
harris2108
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'97 PS & '88 ZF5, Help me Dave Sponaugle

Dave, I think I remember you saying somewhere that a 6speed will bolt to a 6.9/7.3IDI.
I assume a 5 spd from a '88 7.3 will bolt up to 1997 powerstroke, Will there be a problem with the pilot bearing size? Do you or anybody else know how similar the motor mounts are?

Old 02-28-2006, 04:40 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Which are you changing?
The motor or the tranny?

The Power Stroke and IDI bell housing bolt patern is the same.
I think the motor mounts are also the same.
A ZF 6 output shaft will not fit the transfer case input shaft on any transfer case that was used with the C6, T19, ZF 5 or E4OD transmission (BW 1345 and BW 1356).
ZF 6 takes a NP 283 transfer case.
The ZF 6 and the NP 283 do not have provisions to drive a speedometer.
Pilot bearing as I remember you use the one for the ZF 6 equiped truck.
I had that all worked out once, but the speedo was the killer on that project.
The best I can do is get a newer rear axle that has the speedo pickup and build a custom dash with the newer speedo. Got to be more work than I wanted at the time. Still I do have it in mind with fuel prices the way they are.

Old 02-28-2006, 07:58 PM
bassproguy07
Elder User
Ok off topic but Dave, im just curious how do you freakin know all of this? Were you a diesel mechanic at one time? Ive searched and searched and searched for books, websites, anything on these old trucks and your the only person that i have found who actually has some real knowledge. I know its helped me and im sure others and i just wanted to say THANKS for everything, YOUR A FREAKIN GENIUS lol.

Old 02-28-2006, 08:40 PM
harris2108
Junior User
I want to drop the '97 PS in front of the 5 spd
So the inside diameter of the pilot bearing from the 97 powerstroke flywheel will fit the the input shaft of the 5 speed?

Old 02-28-2006, 10:15 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

I do believe the ZF 5 was still available in 97, so if the pilot bearing that is in the flywheel now is not right, you should be able to get it easily.

Thinking for a few, the ZF 6 started in 99, so I know the ZF 5 was in the 97.

Bassproguy, I am over 50 years old, I grew up on a farm in WV, my grandfather used to own the local Ford garage, I spent 13 years as an over the road long haul owner operator, have done several rounds of heavy equipment operation and repair and spent several years as an industrial maintence mechanic.

If I can't buy what I want, I make it.

My 1986 F250 4x4 has over 300,000 miles on it.
It is not the best looking truck on the highway, but I just got a compliment from a 99 Power Stroke driver this very afternoon.

My truck is just about as stock as a Winston Cup car is when compaired to one sitting in the show room at the dealer.

If I had to go to LA tomorrow I would not have to think twice about will it get me there and back, I know it will.

Also if I need a few tons of stone tomorrow, I will drive out to the stone quarry and load about 5 tons on it and haul it back to where I need it and dump it off.

When I bought this truck I had no idea what I wanted except it was a diesel pickup.
After the fact I figured I wanted more, so instead of buying another new truck I built what I wanted out of what I had.
It is a work in progress, has evolved several times over the years into something entirely different from what it was.

I have broken a lot of small parts like the front axles, front axle housing broke, split a transfer case, exploded a couple dozen U joints, twisted off a couple of driveshafts and broke a few springs to get where I am right now. Every time I break it, I build it back stronger till it don't break any more. I am running parts on my truck that are 86, 87, 96, 99 and 2002 if I did not forget any years which I probably did.

The truck I bought in 1986 was a good starting place to build a real truck.
I am well on the way to having that real truck.

I have a very good friend that is top dog in the state on driveline work, he really likes me because I have given him a lot of business over the years.
My driveline guy has a ZF 6 and 283 transfer case that has been completely rebuilt laying in his shop waiting for me to build the custom dash and install the 99 rear axle under my truck so I still have a speedometer. The lack of a speedometer drive on the ZF 6 is the only reason it is not already in my truck. I use it for business and need a speedometer for billing and tax reasons.

How do I know, I probably have either tried it or looked into doing it at one time or another.

It's not what you buy, it is what you build out of what you bought.
I am still building on what I bought.

Old 03-01-2006, 11:27 AM
redneckmechnic
Senior User
Just thinking about the zf 6 speed. delema. What if you used a 2wd version of the 6 speed and a divorced transfer case that had a speedo drive in it. Then you could use your current speedometer yet still have the six speed tranny. Just an idea. Maybe a little less work then the whole rear axle new dash swap thing.

Old 03-01-2006, 02:34 PM
harris2108
Junior User
Got an old DM flywheel from a 1997 Powerstroke, pilot bearing does fit the 1988 ZF5.

Thanks for your input Dave.

Old 03-01-2006, 03:16 PM
bassproguy07
Elder User
Thats awesome dave, i know youve helped me a lot and im sure a lot of others as well so thank you. Anyways back on topic....what are alternative speedos to use since our trucks had them in the tranny? Also how hard is it to mount a zf5 or 6 into an 83 like mine.....this old ford speed sucks and i knkow if i had more gears itd run a lot better. Id like to have an automatic but i dont know if thatd be such a good idea having all the electrical stuff needed(electricity is my weakness unless its in a home). Oh and dave you wouldnt happen to know what the gear ratio is for the stock 4spd tranny would you?

Old 03-01-2006, 05:29 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

There were several ratios available, 3.55, 4.10, 4.30 and 4.56.
The most common are either 3.55 or 4.10.

Look on the back of the axle housing and see if the tag is still on the axle.
Should be under one of the cover bolts.
What are the numbers on the second row of the tag.

If I do the dash thing, which is the route I would want to go since I have mechanical gauges for everything anyway. Why not just do it all and have something different. Electronic speedo driven off the newer axle speed sensor, intergrate all the row of toggle switches I have for all the extra stuff.
I guess it would be going for a "cool" factor.

Last edited by Dave Sponaugle; 03-01-2006 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:26 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like a really interesting project Dave. The Superduty dash gauges are microprocessor controlled, so you'll also need what ever little gizmo that converts the VSS signal prior to feeding it to the Speedometer.

Old 03-02-2006, 10:08 AM
bigblu78
Senior User
I'm with ya there Dave... Its been a while since I posted but if you remember you stepped me through swapping my C-6 out of my 89 IDI in favor of a 5 speed.... It works for now but with the Swizer turbo that I have now installed... ah well... my 5 speed now hates me but that was to be expected... so.. now that this truck is going to be used as a towing truck for my business.... there is only one thing to do... Eaton 10 speed... As far as the speed sensor and creating your dash.. I did the same as you are thinking Dave.. I removed everything since my speedo wouldn't work and I was having trouble with my insterment panel voltage regulator... I now have a custom dash with Pete white face gauges.. (complemts of a wrecked 379 Pete I found) and toggle switches for everything.... I drive a big truck so I feel right at home in my pickup now.... BTW.... Thank you Dave for all your help... you are the one I owe for getting me to where I am now... Thanks again partner!!!

Old 03-02-2006, 05:30 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Autometer and several other companies have electronic gauges that I can drive off the VSS in the rear end.
If I used a Super Duty dash panel I might have to defect to a Power Stroke motor since I would have to install the computer to drive the dash.

Then everyone would miss me and I would be sad.

But I don't think that is going to happen, I like my IDI to much.

Besides it just kills the Dodge Boys when a 20 year old Ford truck smokes em.

Bigblu78, Glad you got the ZF 5 installed and working, with what I do with mine I am afraid of them. They don't like a bunch of torque and a bunch weight which I am guessing is why you are thinking about the Eaton.

Last edited by Dave Sponaugle; 03-02-2006 at 05:34 PM.