1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Adding a 5.0 liter to our trucks

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 01:56 PM
jaydgraff
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding a 5.0 liter to our trucks

Other than the article I found by, Donald R. Haulsee,Installing A 1987-93 Mustang SEFI 5 Liter V8/AOD Drive Train into A ?61- 79 F100 - F250 Truck, Does any one know of tech articles, that help with installing a SEFI in our trucks? I have a 1966 F-250 that I would like to put a 1995 mustang 302 in. I do also have a 89 mustang 302, but I would rather use the 1995 engine, since I have the matching transmission.

Old 02-28-2006, 06:38 AM
Bob P1
Freshman User
Jay- I think the engine swap is easy with the right motor mounts and you could either use the stock wiring harness or an after market kit like painless. I don't think the tranny from the mustang will fit to good unless you plan on using bucket seats. The shifters on those trannys are at the tail, and are way far behind where the stock shifter came thru.

Old 03-02-2006, 10:56 AM
FordBoypete
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Isn't the 95 engine a 4.6L ?
But anyway, maybe on a 65 -79 F Series but putting a small bore FoMoCo in a 61-64 is no bolt in deal. 1965 & after you can use all OEM stuff for a Windsor, altho not so for the modular V8 engine. You'll also run into a goatrope with the behind the seat fuel tanks because efi's recirculate fuel & there's a need to control internal tank PSI yet let it vent in a controlled manner. The 61-72 style tanks just arent made to do that, and a fuel tank that is will fit betqween the rear rails of the 73 & up frame. . . .FWIW

AOD does not need a floor shift it almost fits like a C4 would, except a tad larger, longer & heavier, the TVR might be problematic, but col shift or aftermarket cable/floor shifters work fine.

FBp

Old 03-02-2006, 04:10 PM
jaydgraff
Junior User
I have researched it, and decieded not to do it, just going to build up my ford big block, and keep it easy. Need to find something else to use the 302 engine in. 1995 was the last year of the 5.0. You are correct about the fuel tank, it is do able, but kind of a pain.Thanks guys. JAY GRAFF

Old 03-03-2006, 01:04 PM
Sixty6
New User
What are the reasons you wont be putting the 302 into the truck? This is exactly what I am hoping to do. 95 Mustang drivetrain and accesories in a 66 f100. I understand that it will be necessary to move the fuel tank and and create a new hole in the floor for shifter off the t-5. I havent done a ton of research on the use of the t5 so any help there would be great as well. Anything else that would be that difficult? Sorry to hijack as well.

Old 03-03-2006, 03:55 PM
jaydgraff
Junior User
Well sixty6, right now I have a 352 big block in the truck running just fine, I am going to build this to a 390, and add a few more goodies giving me around 470 HP. I did the total cost and it will be around 1500, for the parts that I dont already have(taxes comming mid march and I have a 3000 dollar budget). To get that kind of power from a 302 block, stroked 347, cam, roller rockers, ect.........................................., I was going to have to spend 3500 plus and I think that was going to get me to about 350-400 hp, then a blower $2000-$3500, plus all the hassle of switching and trying to get things to fit, and trouble shooting vacuum problems. so I decieded to stay with the big block, it already there it fits, all I need to do is take it out, build it, and put it back in. Another draw back from the whole switch, was wiring the motor for the EFI . Lots of work. need computer, wireharness, for both the tranny and the engine. I was scared . There is a tech article that lays all this out for adding EFI for our years of trucks. very good article, just search the tech articles. I was looking for power and gas mileage with the EFI. Screw gas mileage, I want power , big block ford FE power. If you have a big block in there now I say just build it, if it is a 6 cyl. Drop the modern V-8 in. Check out the FE forum, and see my other posts about building my engine. There were alot of other things but those were the ones I could remember right now, and porobably the main ones.

Old 03-04-2006, 02:30 AM
Sixty6
New User
I apologize. I was thinking that you thought it would be too difficult. I thought it would be a relatively easy swap. Especially if the efi was removed. That is sweet that you have the big block. I would do the same thing especially if I had one laying around. I am fresh out of college and have a salvaged 95 with the drivetrain waiting for me. Hopefully I will hook up all of the wires correctly on the efi. Any one every tried hooking up the ac from a mustang to work in a truck?

sixty6

Old 03-04-2006, 03:55 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Jay, Are you gonna race this truck on a regular basis? You spoke about 470hp and not having the money all in the same paragraph. You say screw gas milage, when in the last 12 months gas has gone over $3.00 a gallon. You sure as heck can't burn the cheep stuff in a 470 hp engine. You are talking about a 5-8 mpg engine. What are you gonna hook behind the engine, you are gonna need something to handle 470 hp.

Don't get me wrong I want you to be happy, and drive your Ford truck just like you want to. I just want you to think about what you are wanting to do. You wont be able to do this http://forum.ncfto.org/coppermine/di...=10006&pos=-18
I was in a friends shop tuesday and he was building a 4 cyl Nisson that was gonna make over 400 hp, that guy can't do what ol blue was doing with his hp.

I'd like to see you be able to drive you truck and enjoy it.

John

Last edited by jowilker; 03-05-2006 at 06:27 AM.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:33 AM
jaydgraff
Junior User
Originally Posted by jowilker
Jay, Are you gonna race this truck on a regular basis? You spoke about 470hp and not having the money all in the same paragraph. You say screw gas milage, when in the last 12 months gas has gone over $3.00 a gallon. You sure as heck can't burn the cheep stuff in a 470 hp engine. You are talking about a 5-8 mpg engine. What are you gonna hook behind the engine, you are gonna need something to handle 470 hp.
I never looked at the big picture. thanks for waking me up. I think your right. Now back to the drawing board.

Thats funny you call your truck ol' blue. I call my truck ol' red, and its not even red, although it used to be when my granfather bought it. my dad had it painted white, need a new paint job, and I will be putting in back to original. By the way, ol' blue is a good loking truck. Thanks again for waking me up.

Last edited by jowilker; 03-05-2006 at 06:22 AM. Reason: added tags
Old 03-04-2006, 10:38 AM
jaydgraff
Junior User
Originally Posted by Sixty6
I apologize. I was thinking that you thought it would be too difficult. I thought it would be a relatively easy swap. Especially if the efi was removed. That is sweet that you have the big block. I would do the same thing especially if I had one laying around. I am fresh out of college and have a salvaged 95 with the drivetrain waiting for me. Hopefully I will hook up all of the wires correctly on the efi. Any one every tried hooking up the ac from a mustang to work in a truck?

sixty6
Another thing you culd do is buy a lower intake that accepts a carb, and run that set up. instead of EFI. looking at a nice set up from edelbrock being around 500.00, carb and intake, be about the same as, if not less than, all the parts you'll need to make the EFI work. Then sell the upper and lower intake.

Old 03-04-2006, 08:18 PM
FordBoypete
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Installing regular fuel induction, such as a carb, on a EFI type engine takes a lot more than changing an intake manifold.

Many don't even have a boss for a mechanical fuel pump to bolt on their block. There's no concentric at the end of the cam, and the cam timing is all wrong for a carbureted engines. There is also an issue of venting crankcase & lower end, plus the combustion chambers are not the best for a carbureted mixture either. Then there's all the issues with the Ignition, the timing, the spark voltage and on and on. All the EFI Stuff is far more sophisticated and has narrower performance parameters, altho with an EFI set up, an engine generally performs much better than whatever it replaces. . . specifically the SEFI and MAFS/EFI systems do at least.

In comparison to the old CFI type EFI, or what lay folks call "Throttle Body Injection" a carbureted engine is better, IMHO. But over all, "Mass Air" or MAFS/EFI systems are the way to go if you want variability and performance. SEFI runs a very close 2nd with FoMoCo EFIs but MAFS/ EFI has it all. again IMHO.

FBp

Last edited by FordBoypete; 03-04-2006 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:56 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Don't know about that rest, but that problem can be overcome with an electric fuel pump.

Originally Posted by FordBoypete
Installing regular fuel induction, such as a carb, on a EFI type engine takes a lot more than changing an intake manifold.

Many don't even have a boss for a mechanical fuel pump to bolt on their block. There's no concentric at the end of the cam, and the cam timing is all wrong for a carbureted engines. There is also an issue of venting crankcase & lower end, plus the combustion chambers are not the best for a carbureted mixture either. Then there's all the issues with the Ignition, the timing, the spark voltage and on and on. All the EFI Stuff is far more sophisticated and has narrower performance parameters, altho with an EFI set up, an engine generally performs much better than whatever it replaces. . . specifically the SEFI and MAFS/EFI systems do at least.

In comparison to the old CFI type EFI, or what lay folks call "Throttle Body Injection" a carbureted engine is better, IMHO. But over all, "Mass Air" or MAFS/EFI systems are the way to go if you want variability and performance. SEFI runs a very close 2nd with FoMoCo EFIs but MAFS/ EFI has it all. again IMHO.

FBp

Old 05-17-2006, 05:39 PM
mitchec01
New User
Hi everyone- I'm new here.

I'm in the middle of this swap- the PO of my '65 F100 put a 302/C4 in, and I yanked it in favor of an '89 Lincoln 5.0- same as the HO Mustang engine and AOD.

FBP- any recommendations as to gas tanks to use? I'm planning to go under bed, but it's tight back there (SWB). It would be so easy if my frame-rails flared!

The tanks that look like they fit are like a 71-73 Cougar tank (20 gals), or maybe the late-60's Mustang tanks... but even those seem a little too big. I know I'll have to add a return line no matter what I do, but the biggest drawback with the Cougar and Mustang tanks is the center fill (I'd like to go fuel door on the side). What should I be looking for in a tank?

The other option I was looking at is using a combo toolbox/aux. tank as my main tank- but I don't know enough about them to know what challenges that would present.

Anyway, sorry for the thread-jack- thanks in advance for any help.

Clay

Old 05-18-2006, 06:31 AM
JSPajak
Senior User
I seem to recall reading that a fuel pump for a 6 cyl EFI ford truck will work.

It's an external pump that mounts on the frame rail. This would allow you to retain your stock fuel tank.

Old 05-18-2006, 02:35 PM
mitchec01
New User
The problem isn't with the pump headed out- with EFI, you pretty much have to go electric because of the high-pressure needed. Ideally, I think you would also want a low pressure pump pulling the fuel out of the tank and feeding it to the high pressure pump.

The challenge is the return.... an in-cab tank is up really high, and the residual pressure would have to be sufficient to pump the returning fuel back up into the tank. Plus, there are the issues that Ford Boy Pete mentioned, and I'm hoping he'll elaborate on.

Add those issues together with the desire for self-preservation that almost everybody feels when riding with 18 gallons of flammable liquid in the cab (and perhaps the desire for a little more seat clearance), and moving the gas tank doesn't seem too bad!

Quick Reply: Adding a 5.0 liter to our trucks