Hydrocyclone Update

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 01:49 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking Hydrocyclone Update

It works!! [better]

Installed the new pump this week. Ran 4 - 25 gal test batches thru the Hydrocyclone and recovered 90 percent of the glycerol within 15min!

I let the bio set overnight and found the remaining 10 percent on the bottom of the primary settling tank. Looks very promising to say the least!!
I talked to a prof at OSU the next day and he gave me some ideas to improve the flow pattern at the inlet side, they should help with the cross-contamination that he says may be why it did not recover 100 percent.

I have to be out of town several days this week on a consulting job, but will try to have one of my guys make the mods so I can at least make some more test maybe next weekend

Once I have close to 100 percent recovery I will post plans and a parts list on this forum for all to share.

FABMANDELUX.

Old 03-11-2006, 11:42 PM
bassproguy07
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a question, whats a hydrocyclone pump?

Old 03-12-2006, 07:58 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by bassproguy07
Just a question, whats a hydrocyclone pump?
I'ts not a pump. After you mix your batch it has to "settle" overnight to alow the glycerol to settle to the bottom of the tank. If you make as much as I do that means you have a lot of barrels setting on the shop floor overnight.

A hydrocyclone is a piece of equip that creates aprox 1,000 times the force of gravity. I"ve been experimenting with one for about a month. On my first try I recovered about 60-70 percent of the glycerol within 30 min, but found out the pump I was using did not put out the amount of flow that was needed. Last week I installed a new pump and retested, Now I'm recovering 90 percent of the glycerol within 15 min. With just a little more "tweeking" of my design I'm sure I can acheve 98-99 percent seperation within 20-30 min.

This idea could change the way we all make bio for the better. Once I have this working well, I'll start on the next phase.......a "pulsed flow reactor" that should eliminate the need for "batch" processing and alow a continious flow system to be built.

Try this link: http://www.vortexventures.com/products/SpintopHydrocyclone/SpintopHydrocyclone.htm
This should explain how they work.

FABMANDELUX.

Last edited by fabmandelux; 03-12-2006 at 08:09 AM. Reason: bad link
Old 03-12-2006, 09:32 AM
leskwvo
Senior User
This looks pretty cool. But also a little advanced for the DIY person like me.

Do you ever plan on making a self contained unit that would be for sale.

Old 03-12-2006, 01:29 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by leskwvo

Do you ever plan on making a self contained unit that would be for sale.
Erick: The short answer is no. I'ts a little complex, but I'll try to explain.

I run a 1,000 acre hay & cattle ranch for and old family friend who has cancer. I also do engineering consulting for 2 different gold mines, AND run a small outdoor carpet manufacturing company[soon to be run by my daughter and son-in-law....I hope]. PLUS: My son and I started a powder-coating business that has been growing steadily.

Since I started experimenting with Biodiesel 2 years ago THAT has grown
HUGE in my day to day life also! I just don't have the time to devote to another business. In fact, I wish I could just work in my shop. My first love is experimenting and building one- off hot rods, be they cars,boats,bikes,or planes!

My goal with Biodiesel is to simplify the process as much as possible so the average guy can make his own equipment as cheaply as possible. You yourself do not have to have all the skills. We all have friends that can do things that we cannot. So the trick is to put together people that have similar interests and work together towards a common goal.

As I stated in another post I will be posting flow-charts, plans, and parts lists for everything I've built to be shared by one and all. This way many people can benefit from my experiments, and MAYBE we can bring our boys back home.

FABMANDELUX.

Old 03-12-2006, 02:04 PM
leskwvo
Senior User
OK I may have to make this my summer project. I'll keep looking for them. I could use the Bio in my home heating and my truck.