2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Courtesy lights? How do I keep em off? Not very courteous

Old 02-26-2006, 12:17 AM
blub
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Courtesy lights? How do I keep em off? Not very courteous

Hello, I've got an 04 fx4 150, does anyone know how to reprogram the headlights and the cargo light so they don't come on when unlocking the truck with the remote? The problem I'm having is when camping, I like to keep my truck locked, well, if you hit the unlock button the headlights come on and blind the camp across from me. I've tried the sequence in the manual 20 times and it has no effect, just keeps coming back. Any way to lock it out for good? Thanks

Last edited by blub; 02-26-2006 at 12:21 AM.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:30 AM
Shawn1024
Senior User
good question...wondered about this myself a few times....

Don't forget you can simply use the key to unlock the doors when you are camping. The headlights wont come on then!

Shawn

Old 02-26-2006, 03:49 AM
keith Ruge
Senior User
I also would like to get in my screw without all the lights .

Old 02-26-2006, 05:52 AM
Screw Driver
New User
On Display

I need the lights on at home in the early morning or at night. But when I stop for a train when its dark out I shut off the engin and there I am, lit up like a fish in a fishbowl. We could really use a way around this problem. Screw Driver

Old 02-26-2006, 10:06 AM
blub
Senior User
Don't forget you can simply use the key to unlock the doors when you are camping. The headlights wont come on then!

That's an idea but don't you have to shut your alarm off for that? (kinda makes you wonder where I'm camping huh) If nobody has an idea, I'll just have to put inline switches in somewhere. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Old 02-26-2006, 10:38 AM
spiggy769
Senior User
Get a hold of a wiring diagram and then just put a switch/relay inline with what you want turned off. That way you can activate and deactivate it at your leasure without totally deactivating it.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:50 PM
surfcraft
Junior User
Search BINGO!!!

Originally Posted by blub
Hello, I've got an 04 fx4 150, does anyone know how to reprogram the headlights and the cargo light so they don't come on when unlocking the truck with the remote? The problem I'm having is when camping, I like to keep my truck locked, well, if you hit the unlock button the headlights come on and blind the camp across from me. I've tried the sequence in the manual 20 times and it has no effect, just keeps coming back. Any way to lock it out for good? Thanks
Not to mention, pulling in to a motel at midnight.

Headlights blazing into a ground-floor window, yikes!!!

Whats wrong with a simple low-key tail-light flash?

Is this in-line switch solution the only fix?

First, I shut the car door with my keys in the ignition while I grabbed another tool(in my driveway, steps from my spare keys, thankfully, and it locks me out. What if I was in the boonies? BTW, There is a re-programming option for this.)

Then, the other night, I left something on and the battery went dead. I found out that the Auto trans shifter won't move into neutral(won't move at all, actually) Luckily, I could wheel my Scout through the flower bed to get into position to jump-start the new F-150.

Please, Ford, Less is More! I feel like I'm just borrowing my truck and some social-engineering egghead owns it.

JW

Old 10-10-2008, 02:21 AM
AAK625
Senior User
I'm also getting irritated with my 04 FX4's illumination tendencies. When I shut the truck off in a bad area, I don't want the F*ing light in the cab to come on and say, "Hey, I'm stepping out now. Come get me."

Old 10-10-2008, 03:37 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
holy dead thread revival batman
Originally Posted by surfcraft
Then, the other night, I left something on and the battery went dead.
there is a 10 minute timer built into these trucks. after 10 minutes the battery is isolated to prevent draining it.

the only way this can happen is if you leave the key in the ignition and set to the "on" or "acc" position
Originally Posted by AAK625
I'm also getting irritated with my 04 FX4's illumination tendencies. When I shut the truck off in a bad area, I don't want the F*ing light in the cab to come on and say, "Hey, I'm stepping out now. Come get me."
Owners Manual...tells you how to turn this off

Old 10-10-2008, 08:03 AM
fx4local3284
Junior User
dont you think that they are going to hear the truck running and then shut off letting them know that you are getting out.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:16 PM
surfcraft
Junior User
Originally Posted by tylus

there is a 10 minute timer built into these trucks. after 10 minutes the battery is isolated to prevent draining it.

the only way this can happen is if you leave the key in the ignition and set to the "on" or "acc" position
SOMEONE did leave the key in the ignition, and I think it was me.
This is my first automatic trans and I'm surprised by this feature. Does this tranny shift electronically (by wire), so that there's no mechanical linkage?

Originally Posted by tylus
Owners Manual...tells you how to turn this off
I was able to re-program the lock-me-out feature, but the OP and I couldn't re-program this lights-on feature. Do you have more info?

Thanks, I do appreciate it.

JW

Search this Thread