Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Why do chevy guys always compare apples to oranges?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 06:01 PM
Snake1979
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why do chevy guys always compare apples to oranges?

I'm a Ford man, will be till the day I die.

I was talking with some of my Chevy buddies today, and we got on the subject of the new Camaro concept. I pointed out how they are coping the Mustang, AGAIN.

They agreed they look similar, and we started talking about which was better, and when it was pretty much deadlocked, they bring out the Vette.

Why do they always want to compare the Corvette to a Mustang, two completley diffrent animals. I say if you want to compare something to the vette, its the T-bird, and the vette has it beat buy far. The Mustang is a 4 seater pony car, or muscle car, depending on who you talk to.

The Vette, if I'm not mistaken, is a two seater SPORTS car. A totally diffrent world.

What do you guys think.

Old 01-19-2006, 06:45 PM
bigbluebronco43
Elder User
If the Camaro comes back and has the LS2, then the Mustang can't compare. But then you'll bring up the GT500.....apples to oranges.

Old 01-19-2006, 06:48 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
compare the GT 500 that will shut them up.

Old 01-19-2006, 07:24 PM
Snake1979
Elder User
Originally Posted by bigbluebronco43
If the Camaro comes back and has the LS2, then the Mustang can't compare. But then you'll bring up the GT500.....apples to oranges.
Put a supercharger on that 3V, and that will whip that camaro all over the the place. Also, if history repeats itself, a camaro with the LS2 will be an SS, and that will be going heads up with either SVT, or the shelby, it'll still be beaten.

My problem isn't the camaro, its the Vette being compared to the mustang, even the GT500, diffrent cars, designed for diffrent purposes.

Old 01-19-2006, 08:09 PM
bigbluebronco43
Elder User
Once again- Throwing a supercharger on the GT will be stock vs. modified=apples to oranges. I honestly don't think there will be a Z28 option, just a base and an SS, with the SS having the LS2. As for going heads up with the SVT, I doubt Chevy will market the Camaro towards it, it'll leave the C6 Vette for that-which will outperform it also-stock vs. stock.

If you want to say- throw a pulley, tune, exhaust, intake on the GT500 then I'd say it'll compare to the Z06 in straight line speed, with the Z06 still being the better all around car.

With the upcoming Challenger and Camaro redesigns, Ford is going to have to introduce a Mach1 or such type of model with a higher output 4.6 or N/A 5.4 to compete with the 5.7 HEMI and 6.0 LS2. A 300HP 4.6 won't cut it.

Old 01-19-2006, 08:10 PM
bigbluebronco43
Elder User
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
compare the GT 500 that will shut them up.
For the price tag, its competition for the C6 vette but weighs more and is slower, and doesn't handle as well.

Old 01-19-2006, 08:50 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
We are talking about a car that doesn't even exist, and discussing which is better???

Old 01-19-2006, 09:02 PM
tmyers
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Snake is correct. The Mustang was never competition for the Vette. It was the Thunderbird but only for the first few years then that roll went to the AC Cobra. The vette was design to take on the Europeans.

As far as seeing the Mustang today compared so much is that for the money the Mustang is no doubt a great buy and easy to mod. I don't know how many times I have a Mustang pull up to me and want to race.

Concerning the GT500 being comp for the Vette, not really. It is the big pony, aka the Mach 1 of its time. It will go head to head with the Camaro SS and SRT8 Challenger. Any of these cars may have faster 0-60's, 1/4's but at the top end and at the first turn its all over. The Vette was built for the road course. The ponies where built for the drag strip.

Old 01-19-2006, 09:23 PM
duramaximizer
Posting Guru
the new vette beats porshes vipers and other foreign cars. for the money there is not a better sports car than the vette.

the stang camero and challenger are on the same page, but ford's hp and handling i think will lack serverely to the other 2 if ford doesn't do something. not to mention is it the challenger that has the 425 6.1 liter? that is a sweet car and i am not a dodge guy at all, but that car has everything as far as looks to power, i can't comment on the handling but it has something i like and can't describe. it's like the vette. idk if it's the heritage? just something about it.

it does about the same thing for me that the SSR did for me. i know some hate it, but it just has a special look and feel that i love.

not to loss the thunderbird but that car just made me gag. ford did a total flop on that car IMO.

BTW what are we sapose to compare the vette to that has a blue oval?

One other question, why do all the mustang owners feel the need to race someone from one stop light to another?

Last edited by duramaximizer; 01-19-2006 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:39 PM
tmyers
Posting Guru
Because that is what Mustangs are best at. And I don't mean that in a bad light.

The Camero, Challenger are in no way on the same page with the Vette. They both weigh up to 1000lbs more than the Vette and will probably come with a live axle. And they will not come close to getting to 186mph regardless of the press given. They just won't have aero to get up there.

The Blue Oval really never made anything that competed with the Vette unless you count the original AC Cobras.

Old 01-19-2006, 09:47 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Originally Posted by duramaximizer
for the money there is not a better sports car than the vette.
I do beg to differ in that regard...
Driven a Noble M12 GTO 3R lately?

Don't get me wrong, the Vette is a great car, but I think there are better options out there for similar $$$ - you just have to look under the woodwork thats all.

Old 01-19-2006, 09:54 PM
duramaximizer
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tmyers
The Camero, Challenger are in no way on the same page with the Vette.
i ment that the camero and challenger would be competing with the stang.

how is the GTO going to compete with the vette?

Last edited by duramaximizer; 01-19-2006 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:13 PM
Snake1979
Elder User
Originally Posted by tmyers
Because that is what Mustangs are best at. And I don't mean that in a bad light.

The Camero, Challenger are in no way on the same page with the Vette. They both weigh up to 1000lbs more than the Vette and will probably come with a live axle. And they will not come close to getting to 186mph regardless of the press given. They just won't have aero to get up there.

The Blue Oval really never made anything that competed with the Vette unless you count the original AC Cobras.
I beg to differ on the blue oval competing with the vette. The original T-Bird used to eat the vette for lunch, lets not forget the first year the vette was out, it had a 6 cyl engine. Ford was the first to squeeze a big 427 into the thunder bird, blew that vette away.

Now as for today, are we forgetting the Ford GT? Kind of on the same page as the vette, costs a little more though.

And for all of you guys who think ford is going to stand idly by and let the Mustang get whipped by dodge, I think your in for a BIG surprise. But thats speculating, and two years down the road.

Oh, and someone mentioned that a supercharger on a Mustang wasn't factory, it was a mod, did you see the last SVT stang? That 4.6L isn't done yet, probably going to see a Mach 1 with the SVT engine minus the sc. And god only knows how SVT is going to compete with shelby.

Old 01-19-2006, 10:13 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Have you seen a Noble???
http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-mn...d-1024x768.jpg

A GTM Libra touring or Marcos TSO would be other options too...

Old 01-19-2006, 10:17 PM
tmyers
Posting Guru
Big I don't think so. This are the spec for the M12, 0-60 4.1, 1/4 mile 12.8 Top Speed: 165. And typically equiped in the US cost $79K-$89K. The Base vette specs are as good or better and even a vert would not cost near that.

Quick Reply: Why do chevy guys always compare apples to oranges?