Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

New Shop, What recommended options?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 05:25 PM
witdog2020
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Shop, What recommended options?

What do you recommend to put in the barn, tool wise or the best things you have done to your shop or garage?

This is the way I have it layed out, I have the electrical stubbed out from the inside of the building to avoid an unsightly Disconnect on the outside. It will be in the main garage so I can always ad a circuit if need be. I will be upgrading the residential service to 400a and running 200a to the barn.
I have a 20'x20' basement in the corner of the barn with wood floor over it and stairway, I am building a room above it for my office. I have provisions through the basement wall for sewage, water, gas hookups. Above this room I will have storage platform to store whatever.

I will have natural gas furnace hanging from the ceiling in main barn to take the chill off, It will also have ductwork to my office with thermostat located in there. So while the furnace maintains my office temp it will run into the barn just to keep it above freezing.
My plan is for a full bath in my office, and I will stub through the wall into the main barn for a utility sink, I also am thinking of a futon in the office for a sleeper or guest room.
I made provisions for low voltage also, I stubbed out conduits for satelite RG6 and cat5 cable.

My plans are for a lift, The ceiling is 14' high and plenty of room. The barn will be totally insulated eventually just not now funds won't allow.

I already have a pool table, and of course it will be moved in there also.

Here are the specs. The barn is 50' x 72' x14', It has 2 12x 12 overhead doors, 1 20' wide slider 14' high. 36" walk door into my office with of course the wrap around porch and window overlooking the pond. (nice view)

I still have the landscaping to do, but as soon as it drys up a little, I can get the utilitys in I start that.

Old 02-12-2006, 06:23 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,101 Likes on 2,163 Posts
i would put a steel beam in the ceiling for pulling engines, or using an electric winch gantry style. also, i would put a monster air compressor in the basement so it will not be heard, and plumb the shop with 1 1/2 or 2 inch pipe for air supply. overhead pull down drop lights are nice also. plenty of lighting, you can never have too much light when working under the hood. a big work bench, parts cleaner tank, drill press, hydraulic press, and music.

Old 02-12-2006, 07:05 PM
MBDiagMan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You've already hit the important part and that is the lift. Next is a gantry above as Tom recommended. Third is expanding on what Tom said about lighting.

Since you have a tall enough roof, use Metal Halide lights. Your roof is tall enough that you could use high bay fixtures if you can't find a deal on low bay fixtures. These run on 220V, but they draw very little current for the light they put out. My Roof is at almost 14 feet and I have two of these over the main portion of a two bay area. They light the place up like daytime. They are FAR superior to a bunch of fluorescents and will be quicker and easier to put up.

Enjoy,
Doc

Old 02-12-2006, 08:47 PM
T18skyguy
Elder User
I wish I had that much room. My shop is 34 by 22 but I was stll able to put a nice 12K 4 post Bendpak lift in there. Cost me 3K including shipping. If you get a 4 post dont forget the rolling oil drain pan-you'll luv it. One thing you might add is some wall mounted speakers for some tunes.

Old 02-12-2006, 08:58 PM
witdog2020
Senior User
Gantry

I have the steel for the gantry, Need to buy a good set of steel casters, I have a lot of these tools, 300a stick welder, large miller plasma cutter,band saw, I have small air compressors, I haven't bought a big one yet because I didn't have the room. The air compressor in the basement I like, I missed that one.
It don't look like much of a workshop,heres the pictures: but i will be.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...g2020/shop.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...2020/shop1.jpg

Old 02-12-2006, 09:02 PM
witdog2020
Senior User
I work around the lifts alot but, I prefer the 2 post lifts for working on brakes and such, and at least with the 4 post we have, the head room is a little low under the tracks.

Old 02-12-2006, 09:25 PM
ItzKwik
Junior User
Good looking building. From the looks of those pictures, you might want to add a snow plow to the list.

Old 02-12-2006, 09:31 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
or better yet, a bobcat with snowblower.

Old 02-12-2006, 10:26 PM
T18skyguy
Elder User
Oh yea !! Thats a beauty. You could do just about anything with that much room. What about some kind of security system if you got a bunch a nice stuff in there.

Old 02-13-2006, 06:13 AM
wiseguy
Elder User
T18skyguy brought up an excellent point. Security. How many of us have even considered a security system for our shops? I know I haven't. This would make a good thread all by itself.

Old 02-13-2006, 08:23 AM
MBDiagMan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by witdog2020
I work around the lifts alot but, I prefer the 2 post lifts for working on brakes and such, and at least with the 4 post we have, the head room is a little low under the tracks.
Yes, I've used two post AND four post lifts in the past and if you are using the lift for working on the vehicle rather than storing it, the two post is about four times as useful, most especially for anything that requires raising or removing the wheels. About the only folks in the business who prefer four post lifts are the muffler shops.

The advantage to a four post is that you can get the vehicle on the lift and in the air MUCH quicker, the installation is not as critical and they are very good for those who store cars in a limited space. In most every other category the two post will serve you better.

I have a 9,000 pound, US made two post that was $2195 plus shipping. I installed it myself so the whole deal turned out pretty economical.

Enjoy your new shop,
Doc
ASE Master

Old 02-13-2006, 10:32 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,101 Likes on 2,163 Posts
Originally Posted by wiseguy
T18skyguy brought up an excellent point. Security. How many of us have even considered a security system for our shops? I know I haven't. This would make a good thread all by itself.
i have 2 very good security systems. a 44 magnum, and an Ithaca mag 10.

Old 02-13-2006, 10:47 AM
MBDiagMan
Posting Guru
Yes, my security is "Never mind the dog, beware of armed owner."

Luckily I live WAAaaaay out in the boondocks and in an area where when someone comes prowling around the neighbors, even though distant, will check things out. We keep an eye out for each other.

My two watch dogs won't bite anyone but they scare them pretty good and let me know that there is someone around.

I do realize, however, that security in the city is a totally different issue.

Good luck,

Old 02-13-2006, 10:49 AM
witdog2020
Senior User
mag 10

Wasn't the mag 10 a trench gun pump?

I think I will install a security system, I have one I took out of a building I rewired.

Old 02-13-2006, 10:52 AM
witdog2020
Senior User
I' m pretty deep in the boonys myself, at night when the chevs are rusting, I can hear footsteps anywhere near my place. and we all know how loud chevys rust can be hitting the ground, I got a llama 40cal. loaded and waiting.