1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Is it possible to clean the inside of the intercooler???

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 10:03 PM
John7894
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is it possible to clean the inside of the intercooler???

Guys,

My truck has 230K on it. It's an 01 and I just bought it a few weeks back. The boots and connections on the intake piping are all oily. I did the typical searching and found that this is due to the CCV that is piped into the intake.

I plan to do the CCV mod. Can I take the tubing/piping and intercooler off the truck and clean it out? Maybe with some Simple Green and a hose? Or will it clean itself out over time?

I'm just concerned that it may be really clogged or partially clogged and affecting the performance of the truck.

Thanks.

Old 02-21-2006, 10:27 PM
guzzle92
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes you can, but it has to be removed from the truck. Wash out with soap and water, and let COMPLETLY dry. You don't want to push any water trapped into the engine! . Many that have done this though, say they only got a couple of tablespoons of oil out.

Old 02-21-2006, 10:31 PM
John7894
Cargo Master
Well then, do you think it's worth it to clean it? I'm just afraid all 230K worth of driving with the CCV hooked up to the intake really saturated the insides.

Thanks.

Old 02-21-2006, 10:39 PM
guzzle92
Posting Guru
I wouldn't right away. First I would clean the engine. Remove all of the intercooler boots and Y-pipe boots and clean them up with soap and water. Make sure that the oil has not begun to attack the rubber which would allow them to crack. If they are bad, get a new set (not cheap). Replace the boots and make sure that all the CT clamps are very square with the tubes, not cocked. Do the CCV mod to keep any more oil out of there and keep a watch on the boots. If they appear to begin getting oily after the CCV mod, then think about pulling the intercooler.

Old 02-22-2006, 01:04 AM
arninetyes
Posting Guru
Don't just clean your intercooler - do it right. Take it to a radiator shop and have them clean it out. They'll probably do a better job than you can do - PLUS you can have them pressure test the intercooler and fix all the little air leaks. I've heard that most factory intercoolers suffer from minor air leaks. You won't pick up a lot of boost, but why give away even a little?

Between the improved efficiency from being clean and possible recovery of a little boost, I'll bet your mule will run noticeably better. I'm getting set to do that very thing in April or May - well, almost. I'm going to pull off my radiator and intercooler, replace the intercooler with a cleaned and sealed 6.0L intercooler, and put a Tru-Cool trans cooler in. I have the 6.0L intercooler (it goes to the radiator shop next week) but still need to get the trans cooler.

Old 02-22-2006, 07:28 AM
nhancock
Senior User
From what I saw when I cleaned mine, it's not worth the hassle of taking it out. I think I had ~65,000 miles when I cleaned mine and there was very little oil that came out of it. I had really expected to see a lot, but was definitely disappointed.

I used to work in a radiator shop and we used to get in air coolers off the big rigs when the turbo blew that were full of oil. We just poured in a degreaser and let it soak for a while and rinsed it out with hot water from a hot water/ high pressure hose. Then we'd pressure test it for leaks.

Old 02-22-2006, 08:02 AM
BuickTurbo
Elder User
I wuold agree with nhancock. I had 125K on mine without CCV mod, and it didn't even manage to discolor the MEK (solvent).

It might be a better idea to get a radiator shop to put a removable plug in the lowest corner of the intercooler. I use plugs on the other vehicle for cleaning purposes.

Old 02-22-2006, 10:24 AM
John7894
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by arninetyes
...........I have the 6.0L intercooler (it goes to the radiator shop next week) but still need to get the trans cooler.
What's up with using the 6.0 intercooler?! Is it larger/better??

Thanks guzzle, I'll do everything but the intercooler and keep an eye on it.

Old 02-22-2006, 11:31 AM
PSNut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by John7894
What's up with using the 6.0 intercooler?! Is it larger/better??.
Yes it is. U can get one that replaces the 7.3 I/C for about $900 i believe.
No special adapters to make.

http://www.longislandperformancedies...0-%20Turbo.htm

Nut

Old 02-22-2006, 02:10 PM
pmasley
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Buick, I hope that you were very careful using MEK on that Aluminum and on yourself. It will wreck Aluminum and your nerves.

Old 02-22-2006, 05:43 PM
BuickTurbo
Elder User
Who...what...me? MEK? the lizzard wearing the tophat told me to do it.

I have used MEK on intercoolers for years without issue. I do know that MEK is slightly caustic and will "soak" into untreated aluminum. I suppose I should have metioned that I rinse with HOT water and DISHSOAP.

I appreciate your concern for my health, but the orderly's here at Ford's House of Perpetual Modifications Disease have it covered. (in the form of my credit card!)

Old 02-22-2006, 08:32 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BuickTurbo
I do know that MEK is slightly caustic and will "soak" into untreated aluminum.
What happens to the aluminum with MEK? Would it hurt the aluminum if MEK were just dabbed onto a rag and used to wipe off surface dirt/grease/grime? Where my intercooler connects to the rubber boots is very dirty, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to clean it. MEK? Acetone? Don't want to use the Simple Green, as I already have the intercooler connector tubes off & don't want to risk getting water into the intercooler.

Old 02-22-2006, 09:52 PM
BuickTurbo
Elder User
Got one better for you.

get a can of brakekleen or carb cleaner and spray away the buildup. I make a habbit of doing this before I spray the engine down for spring cleaning. Works great.

To answer your question, I would not wipe down the outside of the intercooler with MEK. Nor would I want it anywhere near the silicone boots. I have a regiment of cleaning intercoolers with MEK because I do not want straight water in the intercooler in any application. If I had a day or two to be without one, then I might just use water. MEK is just nasty stuff.

Be sure if you use it to do it in a VERY well ventilated area. No sparks, fire, or heat sources of any kind. A respirator is recomended if you are spraying. Use goggles with periferal protection.

Old 02-22-2006, 10:53 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BuickTurbo
Got one better for you.

get a can of brakekleen or carb cleaner and spray away the buildup. I make a habbit of doing this before I spray the engine down for spring cleaning. Works great.

To answer your question, I would not wipe down the outside of the intercooler with MEK. Nor would I want it anywhere near the silicone boots. I have a regiment of cleaning intercoolers with MEK because I do not want straight water in the intercooler in any application. If I had a day or two to be without one, then I might just use water. MEK is just nasty stuff.

Be sure if you use it to do it in a VERY well ventilated area. No sparks, fire, or heat sources of any kind. A respirator is recomended if you are spraying. Use goggles with periferal protection.
Boots are off and actually being replaced, so that's not a problem. I was thinking brakekleen, but didn't want a bunch of spray to get on everything else. That's why I was thinking some solvent on a rag. I'll figure something out.

But, still wondering what MEK does to aluminum. I know not to use it, but why? I'm just always wanting to know more, why, how ... "just because" has never been enough for me.

Old 02-23-2006, 12:09 AM
arninetyes
Posting Guru
I bought mine (6.0 intercooler) off ebay for $125. Don't know how much difference it will make, but wanted to try it. It is a bolt-in, except for one pipe size adapter.

Quick Reply: Is it possible to clean the inside of the intercooler???