Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Portland Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 09:22 AM
polarbear
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Portland Auto Show

So we went to the Auto Show- an annual event for us to look and see what the other guys had to show off. Portland isn't a major show, so we rarely get to see the kewl new stuff that get trotted out at the big shows. But it is well attended, and I like to see what catches the eye of the spectators. It's always interesting to guage Mrs. Bear's reaction too- since she's a teacher, and not in the biz.

1. The new Hyundai Azera is a knockout. It's not cheap- a loaded one pushes $30K, but it's got eye appeal, inside and out.

2. Land Rover had a really attractive display. The new Range Rover Sport is very good looking- and attracted a lot of attention.

3. Mercedes is really doing some aesthetically questionable things with their product line. The new S-Class is not a looker, and that new people-mover thing they've got is...ummmm.... I'll get back to that later. I'm still looking for words.

4. Who styles Nissans stuff? Eeew.

5. The Zephyr looks good, but the Milan looks better- for the price. Lot's of apparant interest in both.

6. Cadillac's got some knockouts too- the new DTS in Black is stunning, and the new Escalade has.... presence. That's the best word I can use. The Escalade and the Range Rover will still be the upscale SUV's of choice, IMO.

7. The Bentley was the only mega-dollar car there that actually looked the part. It screams expensive without being tacky. That's harder to do than it sounds.

8. Honda's got a potential problem with the new Civic. The young kids loved it, but everyone over 30 (eg, those who can afford to buy one) were shaking there heads. The car finally looks like a hotwheels toy.

9. A Ford Super Duty King Ranch Crew still has the interior to beat. For an old design, it still has a substantial "wow" factor.

10. The new Explorer and Freestyle were enjoying a lot of interest- and they aren't bad values.

11. The Buick Lucerne looks much better in person than in pictures- and the sticker prices were very competitive.

12. Saab still has some of the most comfortable seats in automobildom.

13. A base VW Passat Wagon without the goodies looks like a terrific value- it's a big, roomy car now, for $27K. Add in some goodies, though, and that sticker will rocket over $40K in a heartbeat.

edit: Chevy had a Z06 on the floor, with a long line to sit in the car. Ford had their GT behind ropes, on a pedestal. Ditto Dodge with their Viper. I think Chevy had it right- make the car accessable. It's no surprise how many teenage boys were standing in that line- but I can't count how many dozens of Corvettes I've sold over the years to guys who had their first encounter with a Corvette when they were teens, and never forgot.

Old 01-27-2006, 03:11 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
. A base VW Passat Wagon without the goodies looks like a terrific value- it's a big, roomy car now, for $27K. Add in some goodies, though, and that sticker will rocket over $40K in a heartbeat.
Ouch I had no idea they could get up there...must be some great options...

Old 01-27-2006, 04:44 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by polarbear
1. The new Hyundai Azera is a knockout. It's not cheap- a loaded one pushes $30K, but it's got eye appeal, inside and out.
Darn thing drives well too... The Koreans are coming...
2. Land Rover had a really attractive display. The new Range Rover Sport is very good looking- and attracted a lot of attention.
Here in yuppie central I have counted 13 different ones. Did you get a chance to hear the Supercharged RR Sport running? ...Makes me weak at the knees.
I think the money Ford invested in PAG is going to work, and work well - I would like to see Land Rover develop a "grass roots" 4x4 for developing markets though.
3. Mercedes is really doing some aesthetically questionable things with their product line. The new S-Class is not a looker, and that new people-mover thing they've got is...ummmm.... I'll get back to that later. I'm still looking for words.
Even the "supposedly handsome" CLS is bucket worthy in my opinion, and I think the R-Class you are referring too is an answer to a question no-one asked.
5. The Zephyr looks good, but the Milan looks better- for the price. Lot's of apparant interest in both.
Good to hear - they could do with it.
6. Cadillac's got some knockouts too- the new DTS in Black is stunning, and the new Escalade has.... presence. That's the best word I can use. The Escalade and the Range Rover will still be the upscale SUV's of choice, IMO.
I think out of those 2 the choice is pretty obvious
And NO, it isn't a Black Escalade with 24" spinners. Overfinch RR here we come
7. The Bentley was the only mega-dollar car there that actually looked the part. It screams expensive without being tacky. That's harder to do than it sounds.
Well, I walked down to my local Bently dealer (Yes, I have a Bently dealer in walking distance) when the Continental came out, I personally don't like it. Nothing personifies "rich aristocrat" like an Arnage in my opinion.
And you are correct about the "harder to do than it sounds" - Mercedes showed us that a money pit (erm... I mean, Maybach) looks no better than a Korean economy car with Chrome.
8. Honda's got a potential problem with the new Civic. The young kids loved it, but everyone over 30 (eg, those who can afford to buy one) were shaking there heads. The car finally looks like a hotwheels toy.
But a LOT of those people over 30 will be buying it for those "kids"
9. A Ford Super Duty King Ranch Crew still has the interior to beat. For an old design, it still has a substantial "wow" factor.
It will be interesting to see the new one then
10. The new Explorer and Freestyle were enjoying a lot of interest- and they aren't bad values.
Which is good, because they need it - and they are both good vehicles, which unfortunately isn't reflected in thier sales numbers.
11. The Buick Lucerne looks much better in person than in pictures- and the sticker prices were very competitive.
Which is also good, because in the pictures its no Monet
Will be interesting to see how it sells.
13. A base VW Passat Wagon without the goodies looks like a terrific value- it's a big, roomy car now, for $27K. Add in some goodies, though, and that sticker will rocket over $40K in a heartbeat.
Doesn't sound like German car options at all...
edit: Chevy had a Z06 on the floor, with a long line to sit in the car. Ford had their GT behind ropes, on a pedestal. Ditto Dodge with their Viper. I think Chevy had it right- make the car accessable. It's no surprise how many teenage boys were standing in that line- but I can't count how many dozens of Corvettes I've sold over the years to guys who had their first encounter with a Corvette when they were teens, and never forgot.
Yeah and no...

How many shifter linkages and heater ***** do you think Chevy replaced while it was there?
And I don't think if Ford ever decides to bring the GT back they will have trouble selling them...

Last edited by BigF350; 01-27-2006 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:59 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
re: Land Rover Sport. There are two ways I can really annoy Ford Corporate people- talk about Jaguar, or talk about Land Rover. My personal opinion is that they're a drain of resources, divert focus, and need to be under someone else's Corporate umbrella.

That being said- the Land Rover Sport makes the Cayenne look like the overpriced VW it really it. The 405HP Escalade isn't exactly a shrinking violet either, although I'd probably gravitate towards a Tahoe LTZ or a GMC Denali. Why pick one of the least reliable luxury SUV's when you can have the most reliable- for about $10K less?

Like I said, I can really annoy PAG people if I try.

Old 01-27-2006, 07:09 PM
remf
Senior User
Odd timing on Big350's last comment. Someone mentioned in a conversation today that one manufacturer (don't remember the product) used to place their product/vehicle in the various public display sort of venues to specifically evaluate the durability/kid-proof factor of controls, *****, etc. Kids have a way to break things in a manner not previously considered by designers/engineers.

(glad to hear someone else voice displeasure at a lot of current designs. I can't help but think a Far Side anthology is inspiration for several designers. More than one front end, especially with upwardly tapered headlights, reminds me of a female worm librarian)

Last edited by remf; 01-27-2006 at 07:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-27-2006, 11:26 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
GM's been trotting two Z06's around the Auto Show Circuit. They'll either be auctioned off or sold to dealers after it's over. Again, what's a heater **** or two if it means keeping the flame alive for the next generation- my hat's off to 'em.

Old 01-28-2006, 02:06 AM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I wish they would bring out a Rover along the lines of a Series I or II- an absolute bare bones off-road machine, designed to go where nobody in their right mind will go.

Old 01-28-2006, 02:23 AM
polarbear
Post Fiend
I don't think they ever stopped making them- we just don't get 'em.

Old 01-28-2006, 07:18 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
We still get the Defender with a 5cylinder diesel.

And it DOES go where nobody in thier right mind will go.

Old 02-23-2006, 12:04 AM
mschultz
Senior User
1) Big350: Are you sure we can get a defender diesel in this country?
2)Guys happy about the Range Rover Sport: The problem with that thing is that Ford rebadged the RR to the LR platform. The RR "Sport" is based on an LR3- which is a far cry from the solid axle Range Rover platform. I feel like Ford is doing the same thing to Land Rover that GM is doing to Saab. The two are somehow managing to kill good brands by filling them with bad product. Yes, I know that RR and Volvo have sales increases this year- but in the case of Volvo, they have had to fight Ford each step of the way to maintain Volvo engineering standards and not cheapen them down.

I know that sounds harsh to a bunch of Ford guys- but look at the RR Sport past the numbers and the cool supercharger and you see a cheap set of components passed off as Range Rover premium parts.

BMW gave the line a good new design and some non GM-based V-8- but since the sale to Ford, I see nothing to cheer other than the addition of a supercharger.

But I do agree with you- It looks great and the power is impressive. In the world of absurdly priced SUVs, the TurboS and the M55 eat the RR Sport for lunch.

-Mike

Old 02-23-2006, 03:34 AM
NickFordMan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd like to see some information. Ford is killing two good brands...yet sales are increasing? Interesting contradiction.

Old 02-23-2006, 05:42 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Originally Posted by mschultz
1) Big350: Are you sure we can get a defender diesel in this country?
No, but you can in this country.
2)Guys happy about the Range Rover Sport: The problem with that thing is that Ford rebadged the RR to the LR platform. The RR "Sport" is based on an LR3- which is a far cry from the solid axle Range Rover platform.
The Range Rover (NOT RR Sport) has had fully independant suspension since the Series III was released back in 2003.
Irrespective of that - the RR and the RR Sport are unmatched in 4x4 ability. Even a Jeep Wrangler would have to stretch its limits keeping up with both vehicles off road. And a Wrangler has no where near the comforts provided by a RR
I feel like Ford is doing the same thing to Land Rover that GM is doing to Saab. The two are somehow managing to kill good brands by filling them with bad product. Yes, I know that RR and Volvo have sales increases this year- but in the case of Volvo, they have had to fight Ford each step of the way to maintain Volvo engineering standards and not cheapen them down.
Both companies have been thrown into the 21st century.
I love the old Volvo wagons - practical as anything, and they go forever - and I would love to own a series I SWB RR as a off-roader, however if they still sold vehicles such as these thier sales would dwindle rather rapidly.
Ford (In my humble opinion) has done what needed to be done to both companies, while still maintaining each respective companies image.
Look at automotive safety ratings, Volvo still leads. A lot of thier cars are still sold with thier lovely warbly 5 potters. You could still fit a shipping container in the rear of an XC70.
Yet now they don't look like a box - they aren't sluggish, and thier interiors are great.
Land Rovers vehicles are still technology packed, they are near unmatchable off-road, they still have that authoritive commanding seating posistion. Yet now they handle, are quite reliable, have more space etc. etc.

I don't believe you can really compare it to SAAB (a great automotive), but one which has had its brand image diluted beyond belief.
I mean they now sell a Subaru with nothing more than some badge engineering...

When Volvo decided to expand into the SUV market they added thier own little bit of difference to it.
Their engine was traverse mounted for better crash protection. All engines offered were 5 potters (when it was released). It had best in class safety, some trick active restraints for childeren, and it got good mileage - all Volvo traits.

When Land Rover entered the "Sporty" luxury SUV market, they added thier own flavour to it too.
Things like a Low Range gearbox, 8.9" of Ground Clearance, thier familiar driving posistion, styling which is unmistakably Range Rover (in fact so much so that most people won't tell the difference).

I see Land Rover and Volvo as expanding its pre existing market while maintaining thier core values in a global market. I see SAAB as alienating thier customers who were after something a little different.
I know that sounds harsh to a bunch of Ford guys- but look at the RR Sport past the numbers and the cool supercharger and you see a cheap set of components passed off as Range Rover premium parts.
Those cheap components have now made the RR more reliable than any other time in its history.
BMW gave the line a good new design and some non GM-based V-8- but since the sale to Ford, I see nothing to cheer other than the addition of a supercharger.
THAT BMW V8 cost rediculous amounts of $$$ too...
Their have been other things such as a completely new 6 speed auto, revised 4x4 system etc.
But I do agree with you- It looks great and the power is impressive. In the world of absurdly priced SUVs, the TurboS and the M55 eat the RR Sport for lunch.
In fact those two would probably eat the RR Sport as a snack. They are impressive in the power stakes - however the TurboS looks like as handsome as a tub of lard, and the M55 would be left high and dry when you leave the pavement.
And neither has the heritage (or the image) of a Range Rover.

Old 02-24-2006, 07:30 PM
Electro
Junior User
Quote:

I think out of those 2 the choice is pretty obvious
And NO, it isn't a Black Escalade with 24" spinners. Overfinch RR here we come

Interesting.. I know that Black Escalade with 24" spinners has been on back order ever since the debut.

Old 02-24-2006, 10:47 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
Interesting.. I know that Black Escalade with 24" spinners has been on back order ever since the debut.

Gee, I'm surprised. not

Old 02-25-2006, 10:46 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
No... I am (unfortunately) not surprised either...
Sometimes I do wish I could control peoples taste (or distaste) in vehicles - but I admit that the world would loose its variety, and all soccor mums would be driving one of these:
http://www.rangerovers.net/custom/overfinch/aa1.jpg