Sponsored by: DP Tuner

HORN;How to change out?! aftrmkt ok?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 01:29 PM
LA_BigRed
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HORN;How to change out?! aftrmkt ok?

The horn ('99 PSD 4X4 ..Los Angeles area) needs to be changed out.

1. Where is it and what do I have to remove to get it out.

2. Can I get a aftermarket horn at autozone, napa, whatever. App. $20-35
or do I have to get the one from ford. ...more expensive.

..I was told at Ford that it would basically just be a bracketing issue of getting an aftermarket one to fit on or whatever.

Anyway, any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Old 02-15-2006, 02:49 PM
guzzle92
Posting Guru
It's in the front passenger wheel well area. You have to remove the battery tray and wheel wheel skirt to remove it. A real PITA! You may want to buy that aftermarket and mount it in a more accessible area,

Old 02-15-2006, 03:04 PM
wilbur996
Senior User
The horn is located in the passenger side front fender and it is a pita to get to. You have to start by removing the battery hold down on the passenger side battery and either taking the battery out or moving it as far as possible torward the center of the truck. There is a 10mm bolt head that holds the horn to the fender. The bolt head is right by the battery. You can't see the horn just the bolt. To get the horn out of the fender you have to remove the plastic inner fender liner. The horn is located between the inner fender and outter fender sheetmetal. It is tucked up there pretty good. I was able to access the horn by removing some of the screws on the plastic inner fender liner, and while someone peeled the plastic back i was able to slide the horn out.

I think my replacement horn is Fiamm. It had the correct bracket for the truck but the plug didn't match very well. When the horn was plugged in it would not make good contact with factory harness connector. I had to remove the rubber gasket from the connector so spades would make proper contact. I sealed the connector with RTV and zip tied the connector to the horn so it never comes apart. It works fine.

Good Luck!

Old 03-02-2006, 02:37 PM
DaveWilliams
Elder User
Horn wire

Does anyone know where there would be a horn wire in the area under the dash? I am fixing to put a set of air horns on my truck and insted of tapping into the horn wire at the horn in the right front wheel well, I would like to tap into the same circuit under the dash. This would simplify the wireing to hang the selinoid operated air valve under the dash or somewhere under my seat...Thanks for any advice.....Dave

Old 03-02-2006, 04:57 PM
HeatStroked
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I tapped into mine just below the passenger battery tray as it was closer to where I have my toggle switch in the glove compartment to switch from stock horn to air horn.
Just below the batter tray is a bundle of wires in plastic loom. The Green/Yellow wire is the horn power.

Old 03-02-2006, 08:55 PM
DaveWilliams
Elder User
Thank you

Thanks a bunch......thats a good place to start tracing.....much easier to tap in there than under the wheel well..Thanks...Dave