Upgrade Garret Turbo for 01 Diesel Excursion

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 05:16 PM
kimoh
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Upgrade Garret Turbo for 01 Diesel Excursion

Hello Everyone,
I have 01 7.3 Excursion and I'm looking for little more performance. I currently have after market exhaust system, Super Chip Tuner, Air Induction system. I am thinking about buying the Garret upgrade GTP38R. I was wondering how much of a performance gain will I see by simply adding the bigger turbo alone with the upgrades that I currently have? Would I need to go to a different chip to experience the difference in the bigger Turbo. Thanks in advance for your help.

Kimothy

Old 02-14-2006, 06:14 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by kimoh
Hello Everyone,
I have 01 7.3 Excursion and I'm looking for little more performance. I currently have after market exhaust system, Super Chip Tuner, Air Induction system. I am thinking about buying the Garret upgrade GTP38R. I was wondering how much of a performance gain will I see by simply adding the bigger turbo alone with the upgrades that I currently have? Would I need to go to a different chip to experience the difference in the bigger Turbo. Thanks in advance for your help.

Kimothy
Word has it u will love BOTH the performance and incredible sound that BB unit makes. Expect lower EGT's,faster spool up and better boost numbers.
Once u shut down hearing it wind down is worth the $1600 price. Cat_man
can vouch here,amongst others.
U can also pick up either a 1.00 a/r or 1.15 a/r exhaust housing combined with your stock compressor wheel and the ATS housing you'll get appprox equal performance at about half the price.
Nut

Old 02-14-2006, 06:23 PM
kimoh
New User
Thanks for your input, it has definetly helped in my decision.

Old 02-14-2006, 06:26 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
Thanks for your input, it has definetly helped in my decision.
I'll bet your going for the GTP38R....right?

Old 02-14-2006, 06:31 PM
kimoh
New User
Yep, you're right. Am I going the right way?

Old 02-14-2006, 06:37 PM
CAT_man_963
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea Nut is mostly right - the Garrett BB will provide lower EGT's, very quick spool up, but actually LOWER peak boost numbers, which is a GOOD thing, becasue it is more efficient than the stocker. With just a tuner - the 1.15 exhaust housing would be overkill, and would lose you some low end boost - I am very happy with the standard wastegated 1.0 housing even with my chip. I am thrilled with how mine performs and SOUNDS

Last edited by CAT_man_963; 02-14-2006 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:59 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by CAT_man_963
Yea Nut is mostly right - the Garrett BB will provide lower EGT's, very quick spool up, but actually LOWER peak boost numbers, which is a GOOD thing, becasue it is more efficient than the stocker. With just a tuner - the 1.15 exhaust housing would be overkill, and would lose you some low end boost - I am very happy with the standard wastegated 1.0 housing even with my chip. I am thrilled with how mine performs and SOUNDS
Mostly right?....LOL! To be more specific,i believe the BB unit will run
upwards of 40psi boost safely, it's inherent in the design. Those cartridge bearings keep that shaft on center allowing it to go nuts producing more boost.
without seal failure like the journal bearing units.
Nut

Old 02-14-2006, 07:14 PM
kimoh
New User
Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to the experience. Would the Super Chip deliver a nice impact as well?

Old 02-14-2006, 07:23 PM
CAT_man_963
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by PSNut
Mostly right?....LOL! To be more specific,i believe the BB unit will run upwards of 40psi boost safely, it's inherent in the design.
lol yea sorry not trying to nit pick - just you said earlier "better boost #'s" and I took that you meant "higher" - which isn't what I found. With my stock turbo - I could peg my 35psi boost gauge - now a full throttle run gets me about 34 psi - with MUCH less back pressure I am sure. But yes the BB is considered "safe" to 40psi (where the stock is 25)!!

Kimoh - yes you should see a noticable difference with the SCMT. If you are referring to the turbo, with the tuner, you'll find it spools up better the more fuel you feed it! It DEFINITELY spools up better on my 125 setting, than say, my stock setting, or even my low HP setting.

Old 02-14-2006, 07:25 PM
kimoh
New User
Originally Posted by CAT_man_963
Dam you have a hell of a truck!

Old 02-14-2006, 07:53 PM
kimoh
New User
Great Thanks

Old 02-14-2006, 07:54 PM
CAT_man_963
Posting Guru
Dam you have a hell of a truck!