ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
Buy low,sell high.

Old 02-23-2006, 08:47 PM
46yblock
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wildbunch, I sat down to respond to some of the quoted material too, but figured you would be around eventually. Without getting too grandiose, the "us and them" mentality has been with us forever. It is partially responsible for the great advances and great disasters of humans.

Last edited by 46yblock; 02-23-2006 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:57 AM
azwafree
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe I can restate my thoughts in a different way and hopefully it won't be taken so personally.

The discussion of ideas fascinates and motivates...
The discussion of events informs and teaches...
The discussion of people and their actions usually is little more then gossip and judgement platitude...

The original statements that I commented on are divisive, as I said, because they create an us and them. "We" are the cool hot rodders that build our own cars, and "they" are the slick ums with money that buy and drive the prices up. One group are obviously the good guys, and the other are the bad guys. Based on that analogy, then any hot rodder that buys a part that he doesn't build or recycle himself is contributing to the "bad" side of the hobby.

This line of thinking also indicates that if a guy doesn't build his own house from scratch he's a "slickum"...doesn't make his own clothing then "slickum"...doesn't kill his own food "slickum".

I've thrown myself on the tracks many times in my life in opposition of social clicks. People that think they are better, smarter, cooler, tougher, or otherwise "in" over anyone who is "out". Anytime I see it or smell it, I speak out. This is the first time I've seen it here at FTE but anyone that thinks this way might want to just take a look at it. It's never too late to change.

Old 02-24-2006, 07:19 AM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

I'm a slickum,You're a Slickum, He's a Slickum,She's a Slickum...Wouldn't you like to be a Slickum,too?!!!!

Old 02-24-2006, 07:36 AM
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wherever you live in the world country folk dont like city slickers.most dont say it they just think it.anyway lets change the subject.

Old 02-24-2006, 07:48 AM
azwafree
Senior User
looks to me that the used ramshorns are about 300...in city

Old 02-24-2006, 08:49 AM
wild.bunch
Senior User
Maybe I can restate my thoughts in a different way and hopefully it won't be taken so personally.
Maybe so, but when you put words into other people's mouths, you are setting up a "straw man," which is a common ad hominem tactic. This rather qulifies for:

The discussion of people and their actions usually is little more then gossip and judgement platitude...
The original statements that I commented on are divisive, as I said, because they create an us and them.
Your claim implies that when two ideas or behaviors exist, not speaking of them or noticing them will make the situation go away. This is clealy not true. My statements addressed an existing condition, and your attempts to accuse me personally of creating that condition are something I'm not going to accept quietly, especially because I feel that my statements are accurate,

Furthermore, if you expect a supposed eschewing of personal attack to shield you while you engage in it a second time, I'm not accepting that, either.

"We" are the cool hot rodders that build our own cars, and "they" are the slick ums with money that buy and drive the prices up. One group are obviously the good guys, and the other are the bad guys. Based on that analogy, then any hot rodder that buys a part that he doesn't build or recycle himself is contributing to the "bad" side of the hobby.
So, now you will attribute all these words to me? I'm sorry, but setting up more straw men will not work any better than it did the first time, unless you want to provide the quotes where I said such things.

For someone who so piously pointed out that someone was taking things seriously, your huge expansion of the discussion with things that were never said seems to be very indicative of a very thin skin.

This line of thinking also indicates that if a guy doesn't build his own house from scratch he's a "slickum"...doesn't make his own clothing then "slickum"...doesn't kill his own food "slickum".
Hope this will end soon; I feel like I'll be accused of having said that I'm responsible for world hunger and global warming in a minute.

I've thrown myself on the tracks many times in my life in opposition of social clicks. People that think they are better, smarter, cooler, tougher, or otherwise "in" over anyone who is "out". Anytime I see it or smell it, I speak out. This is the first time I've seen it here at FTE but anyone that thinks this way might want to just take a look at it. It's never too late to change.
Sheesh! Should I be playing Frank Sinatra's "I Did It My Way?" Once you have successfully finished conducting your crusade against "clicks" [sic] or cliques, or whatever you are crusading against, please remember to take your hand out of the chest of your coat when you pose for your victory portrait -- it is out of style now.

Meanwhile, I still don't like the fact that speculation has driven the cost of Ram's Horns beyond the reach of most hot rodders.

Old 02-24-2006, 12:48 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 835 Likes on 473 Posts
I remember the first set of ram's horn manifolds I bought. It was about 15 yrs ago and I found them under a seat in a 57-60 ford truck at an old yard I used to go to. I remember when I carried the manifolds up to the gate this good old boy said "we just raised prices last week on manifolds, yep we raised them from $5.00 each to $7.50 each!" I couldnt get the $15.00 out fast enough!

But nowadays they are getting harder to find as many of the good ol boy yards have dried up.

I have 3 trucks with rams on them and 2 extra sets. I'm not interested in selling them as if I needed a replacement I have no idea where I could find one for a reasonable amount.

Kevin Bigwin

Old 02-24-2006, 01:09 PM
wild.bunch
Senior User
I had a elderly friend who had been a noted mechanic and character around town for years. He was very eccentric and had been an old biker back in the 30s, had worked for the railroad running steam locomotives, and had many other experiences and memories that were great to listen to.

He'd built tons of cars and in his late 60s, had built a Volks dune buggy that had lots of neat ideas. Rather than having a body as such, he had a cowl and firewall only. The cowl was made of doped fabric like an aircraft wing, and was very light, while still protecting from water and dirt.

His old wrecker was very interesting. It was an old F3 that he'd put the axles and transfer case from a Coleman 4x4 heavy truck. He'd customized the front of it conservatively -- it was a real piece of work, full of original thinking, especially for a working wrecker.

The salvage yard (I bought a 6 from him to put in one of my cars) was full of wonderful stuff -- the sort of stuff you only see in old books. I recall a Nash twin 6 engine (It had dual spark plugs) and an F-Head Harley engine, complete with the little glass sight-glass in the crankcase. I think that those date from 1915 or before, IIRC.

This fellow had gotten pretty old (pretty forgetful) and had a very young wife; somehow the decision was reached to sell, and the entire contents of his shop and yard were sold and carted off. This wasn't something that we were unused to in the mountains: They'd left huge mining scars there (the place became a Superfund site) to provide the wiring for America's expanding cities. They got the electrical infrastructure, and we got a horribly scarred landscape, full of heavy metals and all sorts of other fun stuff.

Old 02-24-2006, 06:53 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Ramblin', ramblin',ramblin'!

Old 02-27-2006, 09:15 PM
Ajax15
New User
If they're expensive, it aint MY FAULT!

Here's a pair starting at a buck!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4617368417

Old 02-28-2006, 09:45 AM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 835 Likes on 473 Posts
Not no more! I bid them up to where they need to be. It'll be nice having another set.

Kevin Bigwin

Old 02-28-2006, 12:02 PM
irwnn
Freshman User
i'm winning!

a buck and a quarter should do it...