Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Diesel envy-also posted in super duty forum

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 11:40 AM
terrapin88
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel envy-also posted in super duty forum

Hi all. Let me start by saying this site is an awsome resource for someone like me looking to buy their first Ford truck. I've been like a dry sponge soaking up all the info I can for the last 2 weeks on here. I'm at the point now where I need some guidance to help with my decision on what to get.

Some quick background on me and my driving habits first. I currently have a dying 89 Sierra K1500 with the 350.

I don't tow or plow, nor do I plan to other than maybe towing a uhaul trailer from the northeast to the southwest if we do decide to move. I might throw a motorcycle in the bed or use it to pick up lumber or whatever on Home Depot runs, or the occasional load of firewood. Basically this will be a daily driver. I have a work truck that I take home so I won't be using it for real work or commuting to and from
work either. I'd use the truck mostly just for transportation and weekend travelling.

I'm looking at 4WD 00-03 250 SD's in either standard cab/longbed or supercab/shortbed, manual or auto. The most trouble I'm having here is deciding gas or diesel, and if gas which motor? I had the use of a 2WD 250 SD PSD for a week while visiting relatives in TX and I liked it. From the reading I've done on reviews and forums I think I have some of the pro's and cons for me anyway covered:

Diesel-
Pros:
1. long service life (with proper maintenance)
2. same or better power as V10
3. lots of aftermarket power boosting doodads I ever wanted to go that route.
4. Better fuel mileage than v8 or v10
5. That diesel sound and the sheer grin factor that comes with it when you hit the throttle.
6. resale value

Cons:
1. Diesel costs a few cents more at the pump right now.
2. maintenance costs.
3. cost of parts and repairs (can't just take it to my local mechanic, right?)
4. Problems starting in cold weather?
5. Can I work on these myself?
6. Costs more to buy than an identical truck with a gas motor.

Gas Motors:

Pros:
1. I've had them all my life and understand them.
2. Cheaper to maintain (V8)
3. cheaper to repair (V8)
4. Cost less to buy than a PSD truck
5. can sound nice with relatively inexpensive dual exhaust and quality performance mufflers. (V8) (V10)?

Cons:
1. 5.4 is underpowered relative to the weight and size of a 250 SD. (or so I've readmore than a few times)
2. V10 has the power but is very thirsty.
3. The V10 from what I've read just doesn't sound "right" even with aftermarket exhaust.
4. V10 has to be more expensive to repair
5. I want a diesel.
6. Engine longevity when compared to a diesel
(with proper maintenance)
7. The whole popping plugs problem scares me and is something I would rather not have to worry about.

With me, cost is always an important factor. Whether it's initial purchase cost or maintenance/repair/operating costs. I need to get the most bang for my buck. I am leaning towards the PSD because it seems like I can get the same power as the V10 without worrying about popping a plug and while enjoying better fuel economy. Also with the less than average amount of miles I put on my truck per year it should last me quite awhile after I pay it off. Trade in/sale value seems higher than on a gas truck too. Of course I'm factoring in the coolness factor of a PSD (at least for me) over a gas motor a little. =)

On the other hand, if not for the popping plugs the gas motor may make more sense for me. Of couse I'd be hard pressed to opt for the 5.4 given what I've read performance wise, which would leave only the gas hog V10 which I could deal with around town but I'm going to want to get out on the highway on weekend getaways and factoring a big fuel bill into the fun budget doesn't appeal to me.

I've never driven the 5.4 or v10 so I can only go on what I've read here and in consumer review posts I've found. I may well be wrong as far as the 5.4 is concerned, but 260HP doesn't seem like a whole lot considering the weight and size of the vehicle.

I know this is alot to chew on but I'll gladly accept any fact based opinions or experience anyone can offer. See a flaw in my logic? Please let me know.

When the weather clears I'll be test driving all three types of motors before I buy, but I can use any assistance as I need to stop flipflopping between gas/diesel and focus my time on looking for my next new to me truck.

PS, I posted this in super duty also.
Thanks!
Chris-

Old 02-12-2006, 12:09 PM
BadFord99
Senior User
Go with the 7.3 PSD, you won't regeret it. The gasser v8/v10 can't even compare to the torque of these monsters, and yes, they can be modded to the gills. Sure it may cost a few extra $$ to mainatain these engines, but when your talking about being able to run 500,000+ miles on these beasts, it is definately worth the cost. I have 164,000 on my PSD right now, and the only major issue I have had is a water pump go out on me. I have also seen higher mileage PSD's sell for less that a truck with a gasser engine. Keep an eye out on auto trader, and do a broad search. You may have to drive a bit to get one, but well worth the effort. Of course it is completely up to you on which you would prefer, but I had the V10 model a few years ago, and will never go back to a gasser. 8-10 MPG vs 16-18, the equation speeks for itself. Good luck, and happy hunting.

Last edited by BadFord99; 02-12-2006 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:22 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
I've had 3 big block gas engine pickups before I landed my PSD. I will never buy another gas engine truck again.
I don't care if it's a little more to have, the grin factor is priceless.
The best part about it is you can load it up and the engine just digs in and pulls.
See the picture of the trailer in my signature? I owned a '95 460 F-250 with a Banks full header system and catalytic converter delete when I bought the trailer. It had tons of power. That trailer would still slow me down to 20 mph on a mountain pass. I then bought my current truck. Going up a 6 mile long 6% grade (different hill, but just as steep,) I shifted down out of overdrive and let the speed bleed down to 50mph at 2500 rpm and set the cruise control. At the top of the hill it was still doing 45 when it leveled off and we were able to regain speed. It was the long hill on I-84 eastbound outside of Pendleton, Oregon.
After that trip I bought my big exhuast, guages, and Diablo Predator so I have even more power now. I'll be making that same trip again this May so I am looking forward to seeing how it goes.

Old 02-12-2006, 01:55 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by terrapin88
5. I want a diesel.
I think that should answer all your questions. Justify all you want, it doesn't sound to me that you will be happy with a gasser.

Old 02-12-2006, 03:21 PM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

If you want the diesel, go ahead and get it. It'll probably cost more up front, but the longevity of the engine along with the resale value make up for it.
I have 172k on my '99 and so far all I've replaced is the waterpump and alternator. They are a lot of fun to drive and even more fun when you're pulling something, something really heavy...

Old 02-12-2006, 05:46 PM
terrapin88
Mountain Pass
Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate the input.

Chris-

Old 02-12-2006, 05:49 PM
cangim
Postmaster
GO DIESEL!!! You wont regret it and others have posted sounds like that is what you want anyway. Plus, you've found the right place to get information about your new truck, which ever one you choose. This is an awesome site and welcome to the forums

Old 02-12-2006, 05:52 PM
terrapin88
Mountain Pass
Thanks for the welcome. This is an awsome resource.

Chris-

Old 02-12-2006, 09:13 PM
arninetyes
Posting Guru
You can crunch the number$ to make a case for either gas or diesel. I've gone diesel and won't consider going back. Yes, diesel fuel costs more. But I get 1 mpg less in town and 3 mpg BETTER on the highway then the Toyota 4 cylinder 5-speed I used to have. And it didn't have enough power to get out of its own way. Even completely stock, I was blown away by the torque. And the more you load it (up to a point), the more torque it makes - an interesting characteristic of a turbo-charged engine.

So, get what you want. But if you don't try the diesel, you'll always wonder.

As for fun - you can already figure what I think of it. So, I'll tell you what my son thinks. He is into sports cars - small, quick, agile. He hates big vehicles - big cars, big trucks. When I got my F250, all he could say was, "But it's so BIG! Couldn't you have gotten something smaller?"

My answer, "In the US, you can't get a diesel in a small truck. If I could get a Ranger with the 4-cyl turbo-diesel, I would have."

That was then, this is now. I absolutely love the 7.3. Unless finances forced me to get rid of it, I can't imagine selling it. After his car broke, son has had to drive my F250 for a week. Yesterday he said, "You know, your truck is really fun to drive. I thought I'd hate it, but now I understand why you like it." And he doesn't even know about the 6-position flip chip that can boost the power : +120hp, +180lb-ft torque.

Go diesel. You won't regret it.

Oh, if you go gas, do NOT get the 5.4. Even if the V10 uses more gas (and I'm not so sure it would), the 5.4 simply does NOT have the power necessary to run an F250. My company work truck is an F150 4x4 with the 5.4. It is an absolute dog, and it gets 11-12 in town, 13 to 14 on the highway. Add another 1000 pounds or more for the F250 and you'd hate it.

Old 02-12-2006, 10:14 PM
turboale
Senior User
Once you start playing with boost you will never go back! Especially if the engine is designed to take the extra load. I think you have made up your mind already I don't know prices of 250s as well as I do Excursions and if you want to save money you can't really beat the prices of the V10. I could have gotten the exact truck with a V10 and saved over $8-9k. That is a LOT of gas money to make up, but at the end of the day I would have been kicking myself... I haven't even started modding the engine yet and I am already hooked. Its one of those things that if you don't experience the dark side, you won't know what your missing, but once you get a taste you won't look back. I have used this tactic with motorcycles. I know if I never let myself ride one on the street I won't get addicted and I'll stick to 4 wheels.

Old 02-12-2006, 10:53 PM
MRBASS
Elder User
I have had all 3. The 5.4 with the manual tranny and 4.10's was very adequate for the weekend hauler. The V-10 had all the power I needed for sure, but 11mpg was a killer, and it really didnt seem to pull my bass boat any better than the 5.4. The 5.4 actually got 1mpg better unless you loaded it. There is nothing like a diesel. Once you have one you will never be able to go back to a gasser, It is very addicting. And if you load a diesel, and i mean really load it,, it will blow your mind.
just today my buddys Dodge swallowed another fuel pump and i had to go pull his Stock trailer home for him, his weight ticket with his truck hooked to it said 36,480lbs,,Hooked my truck to it and 70-75mph was like no problem. I could have pulled that trailer 100mph if I wanted too.It's Just unbelievable how hard these powerstrokes pull.

Old 02-12-2006, 11:23 PM
GeoffNJ
Elder User
I think you answered your own question with the diesel pro list, #'s 1-6.
Aside from oil/filter changes there's not much more to do that wouldn't be the same as a gas truck. Never have to change the plugs...
Mods aside, you can leave it stock and still have a great truck. As I'm sure you've read, these will go 500K miles. Show me a gasser (aside from a 4-cylinder Toyota) that will do that. I have about 160K miles on mine and it's running better than when it had 99K miles.

I know I'll never go back to gas. Shame I can't talk my wife into the diesel Excursion...

Good Luck!

p.s. I bought mine (sight unseen) in Memphis, TN. I was having buyer's remorse flying out there to get it. I picked it up in Memphis in the morning. By Nashville I was thrilled, by Knoxville I was in love with it and have been ever since. I've had 8 trucks before this one. From 6 cylinders to a 460. They just don't compare.

Last edited by GeoffNJ; 02-12-2006 at 11:36 PM. Reason: afterthought
Old 02-14-2006, 07:22 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
MrBass, I know what you mean about the loading. Those who have not hooked up and towed heavy have no idea. These engines need to be heavily loaded to have time to really spool up and pull. Empty you either run out of road, hit the redline, or the speed limiter before it really has a chance to work.

Old 02-14-2006, 08:29 AM
DieselFuelOnly
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
MrBass, I know what you mean about the loading. Those who have not hooked up and towed heavy have no idea. These engines need to be heavily loaded to have time to really spool up and pull. Empty you either run out of road, hit the redline, or the speed limiter before it really has a chance to work.
Couldn't agree more. When I'm unloaded, which I usually am, by the time I've got that 25 psi of boost its time to shift.

Old 02-14-2006, 07:15 PM
150blue
Freshman User
i swallowed my pride and bought a gasser once and was completely unhappy w/ milage and performance. bought the psd and will never go back

Quick Reply: Diesel envy-also posted in super duty forum